Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volvofan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Hi All,

My dune buggy project is coming along nicely, but I wanted some opinions from those who've built buggies before on where to best put the gas tank. Ideally a 5 to 10 gallon capacity gas tank would suffice. I've been considering the following options:

Option 1 (easiest): Buy a stainless steel bullet tank and install in the back seat area by the battery.

Option 2: Cut a hole for the gas tank in the front of the buggy like where it'd be on the VW Beetle. One downside to this option is the area between the front fenders where the gas tank would go looks to be original fiberglass and part of the structure of the body (see photo below).

Option 3: Fabricate a gas tank with mounting system to move the gas tank to the area above the driver's and passenger's feet and behind the dash. I have ideas on how to do this, and can share them if needed, but mostly I'm just looking for advice on the option.

Area to be removed for Beetle gas tank under the buggy's front hood.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm considering to do option 3, but wouldn't be opposed to option 2 if we think cutting the hole for the fuel tank won't disrupt the integrity of the body.

Appreciate everyone's feedback!

Thank you!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Option 2... Remove all the built up garbage up front and put tank there.... Don't understand what of all the buildup of filler and such in front that should be covered by a hood.... Traditionally that area is where a standard 8 gallon VW tank should be located....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

I agree with Dale. The ride is so much nicer with a full tank of gas up front.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

volvofan94 wrote:
Option 2: Cut a hole for the gas tank in the front of the buggy like where it'd be on the VW Beetle. One downside to this option is the area between the front fenders where the gas tank would go looks to be original fiberglass and part of the structure of the body (see photo below).

What the bloody blazes is all that?! I have never seen anything like that before! It certainly is not original.

I too am with Dale on this one.
volvofan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I agree with your suggestion to cut through the fiberglass between the front fenders then place a gas tank there. I thought it was original fiberglass to the body so I was having second throughs before cutting it out. Smile

What brand of 8 gallon gas tank do you recommend I purchase? I have a gas tank from a 1970 Beetle, but when I placed it on top of the area it seemed like it'll be a tight fit between the fenders.

Will measure the area for the gas tank then post back my findings.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

The original Manx (thus most copies too) was designed to fit a 1961 to 1967 Beetle tank. I have no idea if the 1970 tank will fit ... maybe ... but it doesn't have a filler neck like the earlier tanks.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Look underneath of the added on portion. I bet you'll get a better understanding of what's been added.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

This is what the gas tank opening is supposed to look like. Notice the rolled edge lip around the inside of the opening. Provided the previous owner that globbered that hole shut didn't cut it off you should see that lip if you look up underneath the body as suggested. With Careful cutting and grinding you ought to be able to restore that original opening. I suggest that you remove the body and flip it over for easy access.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
volvofan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Thanks BigMikey for the photo, much appreciated! Unfortunately the body I have doesn't have the reinforcement for a front mount tank like yours does. They may be fiberglassed over and I don't see them without really cutting into the body. My guess is the previous owner filled it in to make it work with a tank mounted in the back?

Finally got around to taking the front hood off this evening and had a second, more thorough look. I grabbed some tape and tried to measure a hole I'd cut using the dimensions of a 1970 Beetle tank I have already. This wouldn't go into the buggy, but I'm assuming a 8 to 10 gallon Beetle tank is about the same dimensions if not smaller. Ultimately the 1970 Beetle tank I have won't fit without cutting into the outside of the front fenders. The back of the tank would start an inch in front of the firewall, like in your photo. Then it'd have another inch or so to mount the tank before the front of the body ended. A bit too close for a front mounted tank, IMO. When I looked I didn't see a rolled edges for reinforcement where a previous tank would have been previously.

Looking at your photo it looks like the body on your buggy is taller than mine too in the front and definitely on the sides.

1970 Beetle fuel tank dimensions were:
29" in the front (towards the front bumper)
28 3/4" in the back (towards the passenger compartment)

I can take photos of the tape lines I made for reference tomorrow as well as remove a wheel then take a photo of the underside.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Most people use a 61 to 67 tank...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Gas-Tank-with-Outlet-1961-67-Type-1-113-201-075AD-p/113-201-075ab.htm

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
volvofan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Thanks Dale, ordered a 61 to 67 tank today. Will advise once it's been delivered and I have the cut lines all measured on the body.

Thanks!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Might want to mod tank...

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

My fiberglass buggy doesnt have that rolled edge, its just flat fiberglass, and it supports the gas tank fine. I did support the front, as offroad the body would flex, but the rolled edge wouldnt have changed that. I would try to get a stock tank in the front, its just a better balance, its were these bodies were designed for, plus helps in cycling the suspension. You could build a rectangular frame out of angle iron, and support it at the front, to the top of the beam. Stock beams have 2 threaded bosses at the top, towards the center. These supported the front of the stock bug body, so a good place to brace to. At the back, you could run a support down, along the bulkhead of the body. Just some ideas. Hope it helps.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
My fiberglass buggy doesnt have that rolled edge, its just flat fiberglass, and it supports the gas tank fine. I did support the front, as offroad the body would flex, but the rolled edge wouldnt have changed that. I would try to get a stock tank in the front, its just a better balance, its were these bodies were designed for, plus helps in cycling the suspension. You could build a rectangular frame out of angle iron, and support it at the front, to the top of the beam. Stock beams have 2 threaded bosses at the top, towards the center. These supported the front of the stock bug body, so a good place to brace to. At the back, you could run a support down, along the bulkhead of the body. Just some ideas. Hope it helps.

YES..... I did a "Z" bracket off the bosses on top of frame head to apron in front of tank.... Made front body a lot stiffer (less flex)...

volvofan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Got around to work more on my Beach Buggy and was able to lightly install a 61 to 67 fuel tank. Fits well in the hole I cut in the fiberglass, but now I have some sanding to do before it fits flush to the body.

Fuel line has been ran to the rear of the chassis as well.

Making progress. Thank you again for the help and suggestions! So far it’s coming together nicely.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Sorry I am posting this so late, I forgot I had this photo and that it showed so much of the area you are working on.

This photo of my car shows that lip, gas tank, Z-brackets, etc. Before adding the Z-brackets, my gas tank was banging on top of the suspension and steering components, especially when it was full. The brackets also stopped the headlights from bouncing around.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
volvofan94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this Q-Dog! I like that idea, plus, depending on how you have it mounted to the chassis, you may get a nice ground to the chassis too for the headlights. Very Happy

@Dale M., which flush mount gas cap did you buy?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune Buggy Gas Tank location Options Reply with quote

Those gas tank supports are indicated in the original Meyers Manx assembly instructions.

I consider them necessary if you have a stock tank in the front.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: