Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seam sealer - Where to apply
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

At the point of applying the epoxy primer to the pan/chassis of a 73 KG cabrio. After the primer is down, seam seal then paint. In prepping I noticed a lack of sealer on the bottom. Checked the bug I did previously and the same (in restoring seam sealed top only). I'm of the opinion to seal the top and bottom as the drain hole should suffice.
VW must have had a reason for it?
Anyone with some years on their chassis either way?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

I did a full pan replacement. Seam sealed the top as normal.

For the bottom I shoved the seam sealer into the gaps underneath and wiped off the excess to maintan the factory look.

Can't see that it will hurt, but it isn't on the road yet and probably won't be driven in the rain.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

I haven't applied seam sealer yet but am using 3M 08323 factory match, I will use it top and bottom. Whatever seam is left open will wick moisture in by capillary action, as I understand, so if it is not seam sealed top and bottom you would need something like the 3M cavity wax + to wick into the seam.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

Thanks, All good info. My intent now is:
After priming to use a self leveling 2 part on the bottom. That should wick in reasonably.
The top as usual.
Final step, a cavity wax on the axle tubes and tunnel. That should catch that interior seam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I did a full pan replacement. Seam sealed the top as normal.

For the bottom I shoved the seam sealer into the gaps underneath and wiped off the excess to maintan the factory look.

Can't see that it will hurt, but it isn't on the road yet and probably won't be driven in the rain.

I was fortunate that I had my pan on a rotisserie (2 engine stands) and could get the seams vertical so that paint would go into the seams on the bottom. It was a lot easier to work on.
dfrandsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

I may be late but this is where put it, because this is where I seemed to have scraped it off to prep the pan.
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seam sealer - Where to apply Reply with quote

Thanks, I got all the spots you suggested. Also 3 sides of the brake stop backing plate. Used Fusor 803 DTM. A bit pricey but a tube more than does it. As I was using an epoxy primer, seam sealer went on after the primer. Maybe its ok as DTM but think the primer is the best 1st step. I put down some epoxy bedliner on the frame head. A lot of dirt and stuff ends up there and it stands up a bit better if any brake drips down there.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: