Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

So....I am prepping and restoring parts to get my NEW/Restored front suspension back on in the next month.

I have Several NOS ball joints. They are so old (got them about late 90's or early 2000's)...the boots had literally rotted off in the boxes. So I found new boots which I will post part #'s for later (about $5.50 each).

Yes...I have work going on that will get rid of this type of ball joint altogether and will be a solution for a better readily available ball joint and rebuildable ball joint....but it requires machine work right now and between money and time...I have to get this thing back on the ground. Ball joints can be replaced at any time.

As part of making sure my suspension will last and be as good or better than factory, everything is getting epoxy or specialized coatings.

So while working with the ball joints this weekend....I found several odd and interesting items.

These are what I call the "late" style of ball joint...meaning they do not have a pressed/swaged cap on the inside. They are fully cast and the cup, spring and ball stud were inserted from the outside/boot end and then swaged.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This shows the manufacturers marks. ECO or ECD?...the pin logo suggests OCAP to me...and the Audi logo below. This is inside of the back of the joint.

They were not really rusty. They have a black oxide coating everywhere. You can see the back flange here...I filed all of them slightly to take away casting roughness and oxide. You can see why they need a gasket here to make sure they seal well enough to pressurize with grease.

Now....this next one is really ODD. the picture below is of a dissected early style ball joint (with swaged back cap) from years ago....showing the ball stud....just as one would expect it to look...right?

The next few photos are what the ball stud on ALL of my joints look like....mind you these are NOS never installed....and all are the cast back style late joint.

Several views.

the back side showing 1/8" grease hole drilled in the spring dome and the enlarged "weep" hole for the grease fitting.

Detail of the grease fitting. I used 1/4" press in fittings because i had them on hand.

The new boots have a Zip tie groove and fit very nicely.

Finshed joints ready for install. Bolt heads are epoxied as well. The bolt locking tabs i will post pics of tomorrow. I stripped them, flattened them and treated them with phosphoric acid. I have about a dozen. It takes 6.
I had though about cutting new ones from stainless....but if these still lock with no cracks....they will be fine and i will spot paint them after installation so they dont rust.
Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Ray!
Just did my -73 and it has the swaged cap...what year is this..?

Lars S

Edit:
Also whars the groove on the newer spindles for...?
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Nice Ray!
Just did my -73 and it has the swaged cap...what year is this..?

Lars S

Edit:
Also whars the groove on the newer spindles for...?

The car is a 1973.....but these are NOS replacement VW joints. I have had a few 1973 cars and all had the cast back joint. My 1972 411 had the swaged back joints. And I have found a mix of them on cars in the junkyards with the only apparent logic being that the 1971 and 1972 all had at least one or both joints with the swaged back.....but occasionally I would find a cast back joint mixed in......which is why I term the cast joint as later. It appears to be of a later build.

I'm just not sure what the function of the interesting machine work is on the ball stud of these joints. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that machine work to allow extra articulation/droop at full suspension travel? To prevent damage?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
Is that machine work to allow extra articulation/droop at full suspension travel? To prevent damage?

Hmmmmm....let me think about that for a minute out loud.......unless something is really messed up....there is not much a ngular movement of the ball joint except a slight radius as you go through a turn.

But.....as the strut compresses......control arm moves upward.....because of the forward rake of the strut....ever so slight that it may be.....and the fact that the top of the strut is mounted and has some small amount of flex........yes.......the backward angle/pivot of the ball joint should increase.....slightly?

That would bring another issue to mind. That means that the ball joints would have to be oriented and then held in position while tightening the nut until the taper engages.......and as usual......that information has never been seen in any text......yet another 411/412 mystery

But....there is some anecdotal evidence that this bas been a problem with these joints. I have replaced many type 4 ball joints....and gone through many wrecked ones in the junkyards. They fall into several categories of "unusable":

1. Those that are just rusted out no matter the rest of the condition.

2. Those with broken internal springs or ball cup assembly. These are usually coupled with outer lip or ball seal damage and grinding on the ball. These are usually caused....as I found out by first hand experience......by driving rough roads with either really excessive trunk loads.......but usually with totally shot strut cartridges (like that ever happens on these cars LOL).....and it , hammers the joints until the spring or cup is destroyed

3. The other issue is damage to the outer ball seat lip......kind of like we are speaking of here.... Now....over the years.....you see this in junkyards usually ....so it has been thought...because while removing and or installing struts with the car jacked up...people stand on the ball joint to depress the control arm without disconnecting the sway bar. It cocks the joint over and dings the outer lip badly.

In my youth....I even did this once. But have never done it again.

I have the two NOS joints ai am installing. Two more joints that I took off the car that I installed NOS about 35k miles ago that will be my back up set. I have two more on control arms with about 50k miles that are looser but smooth. ....and one kind of loosd spare.

None of these have been installed with any.....orientation to the ball stud. In the am I will peel the boots from tuem all and inspect for damage to the outer lip from high angle.

One more piece of info. Since I am installing grease fittings and its not good to mix greases......the factory installed these joints with a very tough EP grease that smells like and looks like CV grease. It appears to be a blackish gray Moly disulphide/graphite grease.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....some more details and pictures. And yes.....there are some differences and yet a third variety of ball joint! Rolling Eyes

And yes....its clear because of several details that there was some potential damage issues with the joints and that VW was busy through the limited run (or at least their joint manufacturers may have been)....working to change things.

OK.....I dont know if early to late terminology is correct or if its just a manufacturers issue. For those who dont know what we are talking about...below is a picture of the "swaged" back cap version of this ball joint.

It was also clear that this joint was FULLY machined on the inside...so this would have been a more expensive joint to make whether it was better or not. The "cast" joint can be seen in my first post. The only machine work is from the boot side where the ball stud and spring and cup were inserted and it was swaged from that side. A LOT less work and cost.

So I stripped the boots from my two third tier spares....looser but servicable, cast back...medium miles back up joints and found this:

Cast joint body...with a straight pin....and something more.....

Both of these joints had a medium hard plastic (probably polyethylene) flanged buffer ring that had largely disintegrated....and seemed to be obviously there to buffer or limit travel....but in my opinion...this plastic ring would do nothing to limit travel or angle if the suspension drove it there. It would simply smash the ring. But it would do well to limit over travel while working on the suspension or installing it from human movement.

And the next three photos have me going..... WTF..... Shocked ....I stripped the boot...wiped the grease...and found a single ball bearing rolling around for reasons totally unknown. Have no idea how it got there...but the damage it caused was obvious!

Now...its hard to tell from the next four pictures...but yes....the side with the machined eccentric has more angle rotation available to it that the side without.

Its a bit more detectable when still mounted to the arm. On this pair the wide gap in the eccentric is largely turned facing toward the control arm....so its not just contrast. The joint can flex farther on the side with the machined cut out.

But....its not clear exactly why this was needed...except that some have mentioned a while back that perhaps a ball joint with an eccentric stud was manufactured.

Those of us who have worked on these cars for some time can attest to the fact that alignment is difficult because outside of the ability to split the castor and camber from side to side to balance the alignment.....neither camber or castor can be increased without machine work and parts.

In the parts book I found:

Ball joint: Part # 411 412 165 C

Ball joint with eccentric stud: part # 411 412 165 E

Now....There has been some info found a while back that stated that after a certain chassis #, that the control arm and steering knuckle changed to give several degrees more of positive static castor for better handling.

But....this eccentric should give "0" extra castor adjustment because it does not change the top position of the strut..and "should not" change the forward end point of the ball joint mounting.To "really" affect castor....means the entire control arm would have to slide forward to actually change the rake of the strut and and arm relationship.

Of course I cant really see what the eccentric is doing until I dissect one of these. I will take my worst one and cut it open.

In short...it appears that joints like thus must be oriented properly for benefit. Ray
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of "E"-labeled ball joints that are unused. Is hould check how they look. If i remember correctly the adjustable ball joint has an arrow stamped to the flat surface on tip of the pin to point the direction. Must check this.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:
I have a pair of "E"-labeled ball joints that are unused. Is hould check how they look. If i remember correctly the adjustable ball joint has an arrow stamped to the flat surface on tip of the pin to point the direction. Must check this.

Cool! I will check for the arrow as well! Thank you for that information! Ray

Update:....yes....missed it for all those years. Its actually a machined in notch. I will have to see how much angular change it can give the strut for castor or camber.

Knowing for sure now....that it is eccentric adjustment.....and not clearance for damage issues......its interesting. ....that I cant see it being very much adjustment....just fine adjustment.

The adjustment for castor is so badly needed in this car.....that I installed the adjustors for them on the subframe. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....I cant believe after all these years of reading through the Haynes manual a zillion times......I missed it.

Green Haynes 411/412 manual #091. Page 176, left column, paragraph 7.....right under tje picture of the ball joint wear checking tool:

"A ball joint with an eccentric stud is available which will give extra adjustment to CAMBER if the movement of the front axle carrier is not sufficient (I.e. after an accident) but it is strongly recommended that the fitting of this part for such a reason be left to the VW agent."

So....yes....its for extra camber.

To accelerate the discussion a bit for those who dont yet know about the issues with aligning these cars.....and you will only discover all of the details when you remove the front "T" shaped suspension subframe while renovating or removing the gas tank.........

These cars only had two alignment adjustments:
1. The tie rods to allow toe-in

2. The "T" shaped subframe.....is mounted by three 12mm bolts. The threads for these three bolts inside of the body......are actually large "Tee" nuts that look just like the nuts you would use on a drill press or milling machine to hold down a vise or a material clamp.....th3 ones that slide in slots on the drill press table.

There are slots or rails welded into the chassis that these mounting nuts slide in. The rearward 12mm bolt......has a nut that slides fore and aft. The left and right forward nuts can only slide left and right.......so the whole subframe......cannot slide fore and aft to do any across the board adjustment of CASTOR....which these cars badly need.
However.......these sliding mounting nuts allow the forward left and right ends to pivot side to side.

This has the effect....for instance if I pivot the left forward end of the subframe outward to the left......of reducing the amount of built in castor and increasing the built in camber....on the left side....while simultaneously increasing castor and reducing camber....on the right side of the car.

Its a balancing tool to allow getting the exact same amount of camber and castor on both sides of the car while aligning the wheels.......but.....its only PURPOSE.....by design.....is to split or balance CASTOR......for proper tracking and return to center of steering.

The problem VW ran into with this method......is that doing any adjustment to properly split and center the castor......can make the camber far enough off to cause severe tire wear.

So......their fix was to make ball joints with eccentrics to correct camber after you have adjusted castor via moving the subframe.

One might ask....why they did not simply add eccentric adjusters to the control arm yokes on the subframe......and I found out why while adding them to mine Wink .

Adding eccentric adjusters to the control arm bushing yoke......would require a totally different design of control arm bushing to be used.....and a method of locking the adjustment to the eccentric bolt. As designed.....the 12mm bolt that holds the stock control arm bushing to the subframe....the pivot point for the control arm......requires 58-65 ft./lbs of torque and a lockwasher....and still can come loose over time especially as the control arm bushing bonded rubber wears out and begins to slip on thr steel bushing tube.

What is required......is a flanged control arm bushing.....to spread the load......and about 60% less torque on the bolt....but using a cotter pin and castle nut to keep the bolt locked.

With these parts.....you can then install...with a little drilling and spotwelding....an eccentric bolt identical the ones on the rear trailing wishbones that are used for adjusting toe-in.

This would leave moving the front subframe....as a castor only adjustment.....and any corrective changes to camber can be made with an eccentric bolt.

Pictures of these to come. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: updates with subframe pics Reply with quote

Several items in this update:

The arrow shows the index mark for the eccentric ball joint. I cant believe I never noticed it all these years!

These are the steering knuckle to ball joint bolt locking tabs. If yours are no longer in place...its VERY DANGEROUS. Many years ago I had the bolts come loose but not fall out because of no locking tabs (my stupidity in my youth). The car was virtually uncontrollable in turns.

These have been flattened...they probably have about 1-2 more uses before the tabs crack. Then they were solvent washed and dipped in phosphoric acid. The black residue is converted rust. They will then be spot painted after installing.

If you dont have them...you can get suitable ones from places like this http://www.bokers.com/tab_washers.asp
https://www.seastrom-mfg.com/washers_tab_key_notch.aspx

This one is in the UK but gives good examples and terms of what to look for
http://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/fasteners/washers/tab.html

Fastenal has them also.
https://www.fastenal.com/products?term=tab+washers&searchMode=productSearch

The gist is that you need tab washers with TWO tabs. One to bend against the bolt head to keep it from rotating...and the other to keep the washer from rotating by either bending it down on the side of the strut flange or against the tube.

This where they go

The next item...since I mentioned it in the earlier post...and yes...a complete "How To" pictorial is underway....are the subframe alignment adjusting slots and the eccentric bolts I am using for the camber adjustment (which will make having eccentric ball joints no longer necessary)

Right side chassis captive nut for subframe

Left side chassis captive nut for subframe

Rear center chassis captive nutfor subframe

With these three nuts...you can see that the subframe pivots from side to side in the front. The limited fore aft movement of the rear captive nut simply keeps it from getting in a bind.

This is the subframe upside down on the workbench. The two holes are where the control arm bolts go

Detail of the yoke in the subframe where the control arm bolts in. This is the drivers side yoke. This is where we will be installing an eccentric adjustment for camber.

Since I am using spare bolts from the 411/412 rear toe-in adjuster....here is one in the picture. We have to duplicate that oval hole exactly to match the range of adjustment of the eccentric washer on the bolt in the picture

Hole duplicated (rough in this pic) in the front subframe yoke. Be sure to mark centerline first

Locating the eccentric bolt drive plates. This is center

Full negative adjustment....notice how the bolt slides in and out...which move the control arm in and out.

Full positive adjustment,

I added in about .005" of extra slack for the eccentric to move and welded these plates in place

This is the mod to both ends of the eccentric bolt drive flanges...very common on some Japanese cars I have found...to allow locking the adjustment. You only need to use one or two of the set screws at one time....but I gave several options so that there will always be at least one or two holes that are over solid metal and not on open the oval hole.

This is done...because my new control arm bushings will not require 58-65 ft/lbs of torque on the bolt. They require 20-25 ft/lbs and use a cotter pin to lock. It makes for much less wear and better response.
Ray
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey... what a complicated design...!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
Crikey... what a complicated design...!

Its really not too much differnt than more modern two link strut systems. But....in cars just say....5-8 years later......they simply made the tops of the struts....or the mounts able move back a few degrees to adjust castor....and even the late super beetles had simple eccentric bolts on the control arms to set camber.

The "engineering" decision that made the 411 and 412's front suspension so complex.....is primarily the fact that they tried to over simplify it. Some engineer figured that you really should never need more of any alignment adjustment ...than what was built in.

So..they installed no real adjusters of any kind....just a method to move the subframe around a little to divide all the adjustments up equally to left and right. Like....no one would ever have an accident....or have special tires....or have any age related settling or sagging.

The eccentric stud ball joint had to be a mid to late production build afterthought. I can already hear the oh crap coming back from dealers when they tell the home office that the car cannot be aligned even after a minor fender bender.

These particular cars...and other full unibody cars....were skme of the first for the dealer ne5qorks to really get into replacing entire quadrants or "clips" after an accident by drilling out spotwelds....instead of frame stretching and hammering.

They had to. These were some of the first crumple zone/crash cell cars.

My third type 4 car was a 1972 411 wagon. I found it west of Atlanta at a shop, sitting in a small field. Up on blocks, no wheels, no engine or trans, glass and body were perfect enterior was fair. It was rattlecan primer with obscenities painted all over it in black spray paint by kids.
Got it for $100. Once I got it on the road....I found why it was parked. It could not be aligned.

With a, few tweaks to the subframe holes and a little bit of tweaking to the strut mount area...I got it, acceptable.

One day...I was up under the, dash and found a row of stickers that came off of factory crash replacement panels that had been welded in. 3/4 of the front end back to the crash cell before the strut towers had been very expertly spot welded in by a dealer body shop.

Great work.....but it could never duplicate the original close enough for alignmennt without adjusters. Ray
bmarkstopspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

Ray - where did you find replacement boots to fit these ball joints ??? Do you have a source and part# you could post here as I’m in need and would rather rebuild my original ball joints rather than pay $260 each online !!

Thanks,
Brian - Cincinnati
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

bmarkstopspeed wrote:
Ray - where did you find replacement boots to fit these ball joints ??? Do you have a source and part# you could post here as I’m in need and would rather rebuild my original ball joints rather than pay $260 each online !!

Thanks,
Brian - Cincinnati

Contact Howe racing.

https://howeracing.com

I bought two different pairs. These are Neoprene. These are the version with the groove on the big end for a zip tie. I ordered them off the cuff about 3-4 years ago so I do not know the part # off hand but will look through my notes.

They also list a viton boot. That would be better. I do not know the particulars of it. It would be worthwhile to measure the diameter of the big end seating area of the boot on the joint and then the major pin diameter and call Howe and ask them which boot to order. They are not expensive....maybe $8 each.

I will try to have info today as I need to order another pair myself. Ray
bmarkstopspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

I thought this might help someone else in sourcing a Ball Joint Boot for the 411/412 'hard to find' ball joints.......mine were not worn out, rather just needed new boots and Ray G. was great in helping to source from the site below.

CORRECT BOOT with GROOVE FOR ZIP TIE
https://howeracing.com/index.php/ball-joint-boot-4-bolt.html

Attached are the specs of the cover...

Last edited by bmarkstopspeed on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

Thank you for posting details.....but wait for a moment.....from the picture from their website that you linked....that is not the correct model of boot from Howe. The correct one has a groove on the big end for a zip tie. I bought both boot types. The one without the groove generally fits....but without a zip tie it pops off.

Take a look at the pictures of the one in this thread.

I am hoping that is the right boot you listed but just the wrong picture on their site.

Also....note the little box in their add in the lower left corner. If we can get the right boot in viton thats the way to go. Ray
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

When I click on the link it shows me two different parts when I scroll down the 22399v and the 223991. It looks like the 223991 has a groove in it for zip tie..Is that correct?possibly different variations of the same boot?they say the 99v can be used for upper and lower but the 991 only for upper...which ones ?
bmarkstopspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

Ray - good catch, I copied over the wrong link and have updated in my above note and here.....this is the boot with the 'groove' included.

https://howeracing.com/index.php/ball-joint-boot-4-bolt.html

NOTE - I had one fo the VITON boots and really didn't care for it as it was so thin that it almost tears when installed with the zip-tie.....so I'm going with the original material for my build.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:
When I click on the link it shows me two different parts when I scroll down the 22399v and the 223991. It looks like the 223991 has a groove in it for zip tie..Is that correct?possibly different variations of the same boot?they say the 99v can be used for upper and lower but the 991 only for upper...which ones ?

What Howe SAYS the boot can be used for is irrelevant to what we need. It has no bearing on anything for our cars. When they talk.... "upper and lower".....they are speaking "A-arm" suspension cars...specifically about 90% American made. I doubt there is a strut suspension vehicle serviced in their entire inventory.

That being said....good homework! Thanks for sorting this out. When I bought these....I was in the middle of a bunch of projects and on the road for a long period of time. When I got home...these and a dozen other packages were waiting. The box had two pairs of boots in it. One pair fit well....but was very slightly loose on both the stud and the ball joint body.....and had no easy means of securing it.

Mind this though......if I only had the boots without the zip tie groove....I could "make" them work fine with a piece of stainless bailing wire without too much work. But...since the other boot pair in the box had a zip tie groove and was slightly tighter on the stud....problem solved for the moment.

The correct boot that fits that I am using....with the zip tie groove....as you have dug up.....is the 223991....for upper bolt in ball joints. That picture in their catalog brought it all back....because I was also working on a method of using one or their cartridge ball joints to make a workable replacement for our ball joints.....and that model of ball joint is one I was looking at yo get a handle on depth/length/diameter....so I could tell Howe which ball styd assembly would be the best.
That joint jn the picture is from a Chevy Impala and/or Corvette.

So to recap....yes.....the 223991 is the correct boot. Ray
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint pictures and techUPDATED 8-27 with subframe pics Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
So....I am prepping and restoring parts to get my NEW/Restored front suspension back on in the next month.

I have Several NOS ball joints. They are so old (got them about late 90's or early 2000's)...the boots had literally rotted off in the boxes. So I found new boots which I will post part #'s for later (about $5.50 each).

Yes...I have work going on that will get rid of this type of ball joint altogether and will be a solution for a better readily available ball joint and rebuildable ball joint....but it requires machine work right now and between money and time...I have to get this thing back on the ground. Ball joints can be replaced at any time.

As part of making sure my suspension will last and be as good or better than factory, everything is getting epoxy or specialized coatings.

So while working with the ball joints this weekend....I found several odd and interesting items.

These are what I call the "late" style of ball joint...meaning they do not have a pressed/swaged cap on the inside. They are fully cast and the cup, spring and ball stud were inserted from the outside/boot end and then swaged.

This shows the manufacturers marks. ECO or ECD?...the pin logo suggests OCAP to me...and the Audi logo below. This is inside of the back of the joint.

They were not really rusty. They have a black oxide coating everywhere. You can see the back flange here...I filed all of them slightly to take away casting roughness and oxide. You can see why they need a gasket here to make sure they seal well enough to pressurize with grease.

Now....this next one is really ODD. the picture below is of a dissected early style ball joint (with swaged back cap) from years ago....showing the ball stud....just as one would expect it to look...right?

The next few photos are what the ball stud on ALL of my joints look like....mind you these are NOS never installed....and all are the cast back style late joint.

Several views.

the back side showing 1/8" grease hole drilled in the spring dome and the enlarged "weep" hole for the grease fitting.

Detail of the grease fitting. I used 1/4" press in fittings because i had them on hand.

The new boots have a Zip tie groove and fit very nicely.

Finshed joints ready for install. Bolt heads are epoxied as well. The bolt locking tabs i will post pics of tomorrow. I stripped them, flattened them and treated them with phosphoric acid. I have about a dozen. It takes 6.
I had though about cutting new ones from stainless....but if these still lock with no cracks....they will be fine and i will spot paint them after installation so they dont rust.
Ray

It took me a while to find out who ECO manufacturer code was.
It's Ehrenreich. ( TRW)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: