Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fast Food Restaurants
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who played in the fog of the mosquito truck. Ours came in the late night hours when the wind was calm. The mature trees on our street formed a tunnel halfway down so it stuck around. It did have an oddly sweet aroma.
Turns out it was Malathion.
Shocked
I don't think it (twitch) did any lasting (twitch) harm (twitch).

stay safe ... jinx

Do you still have a lingering desire to bite people in between the toes?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

About 30 years ago when the Mediterranean fruit fly was a problem in California, they had trucks spraying malathion in the streets. My brother got one of the flyers, which laughingly claimed there was no health risk, but also cautioned you to cover your car so it would not remove paint.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

That explains a few things ...
In Corpus (Padre Island) it only takes 4 mosquitos to carry off small children. Squash one & they leave a blood splat bigger than a nickel.

I also remember eating dirt as a kid. Always wondered why the cool, dry dirt under the house tasted the best. Turns out it was common to spray the site work area for termites. No telling what gawd awful chemical that was. Between the trim paint, the 9inch floor tiles, & the mini blinds it's a miracle I learned to count to 10. Our playgrounds had compacted dirt - not soft springy sponges.

Thread related :
Just got back from a 4 day, 3hr trip to reunite with a buddy I used to hang with back in the '90s. Wife & I stopped @ Taco Hell for a road snack. Opened the soft tacos & the meat was hardly bigger than a #2 pencil. Looked like it came out of a caulk gun or something. Sad, truly sad.

Best to all ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
That explains a few things ...
In Corpus (Padre Island)

Thread related :
Just got back from a 4 day, 3hr trip to reunite with a buddy I used to hang with back in the '90s. Wife & I stopped @ Taco Hell for a road snack. Opened the soft tacos & the meat was hardly bigger than a #2 pencil. Looked like it came out of a caulk gun or something. Sad, truly sad.

jinx

What?…. Were you in Corpus Christi when you got Taco Bell and not the Orginal Whataburger that started in Corpus? If so, Blasphemy Shocked You choose crappy California fast food over crappy local fast food. GET A ROPE!
Wink Laughing
I’m just messing with Texas Shocked
I’ll be in Port A in a few months. I’ll have a burger for you Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

@Xevin

I'm just outside San Antonio but grew up in Corpus. I'm only a half of a gas tank away.
I prefer going 37 to 358 (S.P.I.D.) to 361 then up to Port A, not thru Ingleside & do the ferry ride but that's fun too.

Actually went north to Killeen area on this trip.

On Shoreline Blvd down near the L-head & T-head marinas there is the ONLY 2 STORY Whataburger in the US. It's kinda neat cuz it has an elevator.
Used to frequent the Whataburger Jr off Texan Trail cuz it was near the house I grew up in.

Too bad that place @ Staples & Carrol Lane went belly up - they served a pizza burger (YUM !). It was a bun, mozzarella, pizza sauce, meat, pizza sauce, mozzarella, & bun.
Freakin awesome !

It's so weird goin back there cuz the streets are the same but the buildings are different & what used to be sorghum fields is strip malls & housing. The price of growth I guess ... sigh. Ah, memories. Lol

stay safe ... jinx

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

I don't remember if I've seen it in this thread yet, but there is a fast food chain around here called Five Guys. Big juicy burgers, zaftig fries, as well as some other FF items such as sandwiches and hotdogs.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Love Five Guys, don’t go there much. It’s on the outside of a mall and kinda pain to get to. It’s competition around here is a small chain called Way Back Burger, I like them even better.
Another cool place that opened in Jersey is Slider Up. Flat top buyers a little bigger than White Castle in size, but small burgers, awesome.
https://www.sliderup.com/
I will be adding sliders to our menu, when we get a brick and mortar.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Ah, White Castle. Sliders. I know why I can refer to them as sliders. I have to be sitting on the throne while I eat them.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

They were good enough for Harold and Kumar.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Sliders & thrones ... yup. lol

When I was a Motive Power technician back in '13 my branch manager took me to a Five Guys burger joint as a welcome to San Antonio. The 2nd bite tasted funny. I opened the burger & the meat patty was as thin as toilet paper & had a golf ball sized hole in the middle. Could've been a fluke but that chain hasn't ever gotten so much as a penny from me. Might've been different but the manager was like "oh well".

I'm in Tacoville & it's hard to f-up TexMex yet a few places actually do. Flip side is a lot of em don't have portion control so we can usually get 3 meals out of one plate.

jinx

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who played in the fog of the mosquito truck. Ours came in the late night hours when the wind was calm. The mature trees on our street formed a tunnel halfway down so it stuck around. It did have an oddly sweet aroma.
Turns out it was Malathion.
Shocked
I don't think it (twitch) did any lasting (twitch) harm (twitch).

stay safe ... jinx

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2018/03...229933.mp4
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

I have a 5 guys right down the street. I've been there exactly once. I didn't feel like taking a second mortgage to go again.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

My first impression was that 5 Guys was pricey, and although the burgers were good, the much-hyped fries were a disappointment. Free peanuts were a draw, but not that much. I haven't been back. Not bad, just nothing to draw me there.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I have a 5 guys right down the street. I've been there exactly once. I didn't feel like taking a second mortgage to go again.

KTPhil wrote:
My first impression was that 5 Guys was pricey, and although the burgers were good, the much-hyped fries were a disappointment. Free peanuts were a draw, but not that much. I haven't been back. Not bad, just nothing to draw me there.

I haven't been in a while but I have seen some comments online that their prices have been jacked up recently and a lot of people were turned off.

It already was expensive so I can't see wanting to pay more.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

I had a Five Guys in my parking lot. I tried it once. I wasn’t a fan of gigantic greasy bags of limp fries and average burger's. Apparently it appeals to many.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

I do enjoy going into a "Mackers" to drop the deuce and stock up on napkins. Never a disappointment. White Castles are the refuge of whanged out coke binging partiers with $10 left till next payday.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, I had food from a Five Guys only once. This was about 10 years ago. Apparently it didn't impress me enough to return for more.

Maybe I'll try it again just to be sure.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

I will say one thing about Five Guys and that is that their fries were good because the skins were on them. They were browned and had just the right crispness and the portion was generous. That being said, they should put the same effort into the rest of their menu.

When I was a kid living at home and we had baked potatoes, the whole family would pile the skins onto my plate. I still prefer the skins to what is inside provided they are red or Yukon gold.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Five Guys fries are good, but have to be eaten right away. Otherwise their soggy. The same goes for most places selling curly fries, like Arby’s.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Food Restaurants Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I do enjoy going into a "Mackers" to drop the deuce and stock up on napkins. Never a disappointment. White Castles are the refuge of whanged out coke binging partiers with $10 left till next payday.

Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: