Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cool option for rear calipers
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

I wanted a multi piston fixed caliper for my rear buggy wheels but my budget wouldn't allow anything new. In my search for calipers at the junk yard I came across the bulletproof Volvo 240 front caliper. 4 pistons, fixed and not super heavy. What really makes them special though is that they are actually dual system calipers meaning each caliper has two fluid connections each actuating two pistons and are completely separate systems within one caliper. Now I can plumb my foot brake and cutting brakes separately making a backup in case something fails plus easier to bleed and customize the feel for each. Or drill it and have a single system 4 piston caliper for about $20 each Required a little welding to fit them but well worth it. They work great
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

I assume your not using wide 5 wheels?
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

Yes I am. Why?
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

I didnt think volvo rotors were wide 5 bolt pattern. I didn't know any other brands used wide 5.
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

So did you modify a stamped EMPI brake caliper bracket to work with these calipers? My thought is that the second line could also double as a parking brake system.

Please share photos when you can. Thanks for your junkyard research.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
I didnt think volvo rotors were wide 5 bolt pattern. I didn't know any other brands used wide 5.

He isn’t using the Volvo rotors. Just the callipers.
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

oprn is correct I'm not using the Volvo rotors, just the calipers. I have the porsche rear end with vented rotors. I was suprised at how close the Volvo calipers were to just bolting right in. I did have to chop off one of the bolt "ears" off the caliper and relocate it but it was a simple process. The heavy casting allows you to confidently weld it back on with no fear of failure. I took some pix but sadly they came out so badly they weren't worth uploading. Sorry. You can actually buy these calipers online for as low as around $50-$60 a piece I think. Also there is a great video on youtube explaining how to drill them out to make it a single system 4 piston caliper like regular 4 piston calipers. I like having the foot brake and the cutting brakes as three separate systems since It's easy to bleed and if you have a problem somewhere it only affects that specific area instead of the whole system.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

How about those pics?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

Ok, here's a caliper and my homemade cutting brake made with two wilwood 1" bore brake masters. I can now have basically zero deadzone in the handle between left and right braking. Just what I was after. The calipers still need to be ground clean but it aint gonna break.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

I like it!
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see the wear pattern on the pads after a lot of use. It might be possible to cut the pads in half so you have 4 individual pads to match the 4 pistons.
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cool option for rear calipers Reply with quote

I was wondering about that myself. I'm guessing more break pad surface area is best so I'll leave it the way Volvo designed it. It only took one washer to perfectly center the caliper over the rotor which was lucky.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: