Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cipica, VW 1303S from '74
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Well, the oil radiator is way too large... I must make a mock-up to see what is the maximum dimension I could afford.
Meanwhile I had to free up some space, so I put the bits together for the grill. I reused the front end of the original body of my car, and some fiberglass kit I found on top of a mechanic's workshop (similar to Albar Kafer of the 80's, I see Germans like it)... Hope you like it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

You making a grill out of those parts? That would be badass!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

That's what it is, a grill. Of course, the most badass grill, with Porsche wheels Very Happy.
News, with pictures. This weekend we participated in the first VW meeting (Busstock and shine) after finishing work, also a drive test with caravan behind, to be prepared for the longer vacation drive. Friday afternoon I hook the Eriba to the Bug and checked the lights: none worked. Tested with another car, still no lights. I stayed till 11.30 in the night to discover that the red wire which was hanging from the socket when I bought the caravan was not actually the +12V for the fridge, it was actually the ground. I guess the ground was coming from the tow hook before Smile). At least if I weren't an electronics engineering for automotive to know the wire color coding... And all is done as a household appliance, not as automotive, by the color code Smile). I corrected the wiring and left on Saturday.

Well, most highway drive, all fun in the beginning:

40km at 90km/h and the engine overheated. Oil went up to almost 120 degrees, started pinging, I barely dragged it to a parking lot. Also, I could not shift anymore. I called a towing company to bring me the Dacia Duster (so I could tow the Eriba with it) and take the Bug back home on a trailer. Till they arrived, I looked under the bench for the shift coupler (thanks for the tip, Xellex!) and found the fixation bolt was not there and the coupler was not on the shift rod in the gearbox. Easy fix, and I had gears again. Car was much cooler now, so I started it and all looked fine. Therefore we decided to continue the trip with the Eriba behind the Duster and the Bug alone.
She ran great, the oil did not go above 95 degrees anymore at constant 90-100kph, weather was quite cool (25-27 degrees). Still, the charging system seemed to have an issue close to arriving, but all worked good after a restart.

At the meeting she was quite an attraction, Eriba too. Really nice to meet up again with fellow VW enthusiasts. Even if it was mostly a Bus/Campervan meeting, there were also a few bugs, motorcycles, and other classic cars. It rained a lot, and got a nice surprise in the shape of a movie of my car and some nice pictures.

The drive back was all fine, 270km in 3.5h, again constant 90kph (due to wife driving the Duster and caravan behind... Max 100kph on the Eriba). Got through some storms, but everything was ok.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Another week, another show. Just a few pictures now...

offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Looking good Radu, weather looks great as well, hope you all enjoyed a great break.

Cuppa tea man, living in a latte world.

1973 1303, one previous owner, my Dad
1975 1303, Fourth owner, mum 1975 to 2014, me from 2017
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711269&highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740901
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I'm working on installing the external radiator, hopefully I can keep the oil temperature low and be able to tow the Eriba. I would have liked to have it placed 90 degrees, so parallel to the fender, but I can only get two mounting points on the wheel well. I do not feel there is enough support during driving. Maybe I could fiberglass in some bolts to the fender...
Today's plan: seal and thread all couplers, fill up with oil and connect it and make a splash guard so no rocks/mud/water can affect it.

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Aaaall right, time for some news. I installed the radiator and made a metal shield for stones, water and mud. And I wanted to add a button to decrease the ignition timing by 5 degrees if detonation appeared again. I had the same button connected to an aux input of the Megajolt, but to increase the ignition, simulating a cold condition. To my suprise, I saw that the ignition map was moving only by RPM, with TPS 0%. This means huge advance (40deg at 3000rpm, see the table). I had to find my surgeon skills and remove the carb, and the sensor was missing one fixation screw... I put it back, re-calibrated, but then started the car and saw that the tps was still showing mostly closed throttle. I guess either the sensor is bad or the calibration runs somehow wrong. It sees closed throttle, picks up showing 50% when it is almost WOT, and WOT. So I removed the sensor plug (it goes automatically to 100% tps) and that row is simulating the ignition curve of a 009.
And we went for a 200km ride to Hungary to a show, with the Eriba behind. At 70-80kph the oil did not reach 100deg C,. Ostly it stayed at 95. On return, highway at 90-100kph and 35 deg outside temp, but the oil stayed at 95. Never missed a beat. So I would say, problem solved.
Now pics.
Advance map, disregard the MAP load, I changed to TPS meanwhile.

And road trip.

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:

Cool Cool Cool

Now what about some green paint on the Eriba instead of brown?
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

It's planned. It would also be nice to make 13" cookie cutters. But I do not see how...
minirailz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Very nice to see the beetle handle the Eriba!
Does it brake alright? Or does it get scary at high speeds/curves? Wink

Keep up the good work!

Dennis
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
It would also be nice to make 13" cookie cutters. But I do not see how...

Well... Since the Cookie Cutters were made by ATS may be these ATS Classic rims will do?
They are 7x13, ET 20, lug pattern 4x100 and $$$...

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Looks like you are having fun!!!! Super cool that you get out in the Bug!!!

Thanks for the picture of the seat belt! Next time I will be looking for that type of belt!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

@minirailz, it brakes very well, I have Porsche 944 turbo setup, with 4 pot calipers. And the caravan has inertial brake. It is also very stable even at 100kph. It's an excellent combination.
@maddel, great idea, thank you! I really like the ATS classic, and at 300 EUR per piece, a bit pricy, but doable. If I were to stick to stock brakes, I would have had a set of ATS Classic, small lip on front and wide on the back, and another one of Rivieras. I was thinking to get some sets just to have them on the wall... But I have to put some money on other junk metal first 😁. Wife keeps suggesting something about a 65 she has, and some air ride. Don't know what she's talking about.
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Funny story/face palm. Remember I was complaining the alternator would not charge from time to time? I swapped the regulator (external) to a new electronic one, still same problem. Low charging voltage, large drop when turning headlight on, voltage dropping in time...
Well, I bought a new alternator, 75A rated to cope with the fuel injection that will follow. So I went on to change it: disconnected the battery, pulled the 3-wire plug on top of the alternator, started to unwind the nut holding the cable... Well, it did not request too much torque to start it, simply because it was not tightened (here come the face palm). So the wire is there, the nut is there, but it would make contact only from time to time, and weak... So I cleaned the contact, the eye-terminal, torqued down, and voila! I have perfect charging Smile). The VDO gauge shows 1V lower (measured with the multimeter and tested on adjustable power supply), but no issue, I just know what voltage there is.

Second fun story: the Bug helped my son start kindergarden. He only wanted to go if we would drive him with the Bug, and he would stay in to make her happy, so she would not go "boom" in the engine anymore. First day he stayed for 5 minutes, and when my wife started the car to come back, it backfired once, convincing him to attend the kindergarden happily Smile).
Caledfryn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
@minirailz, it brakes very well, I have Porsche 944 turbo setup, with 4 pot calipers. And the caravan has inertial brake. It is also very stable even at 100kph. It's an excellent combination.
@maddel, great idea, thank you! I really like the ATS classic, and at 300 EUR per piece, a bit pricy, but doable. If I were to stick to stock brakes, I would have had a set of ATS Classic, small lip on front and wide on the back, and another one of Rivieras. I was thinking to get some sets just to have them on the wall... But I have to put some money on other junk metal first 😁. Wife keeps suggesting something about a 65 she has, and some air ride. Don't know what she's talking about.

The ATS plan sounds familiar! Very Happy Wink

Except mine are 15 inch

tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

About last weekend: 370km round trip to admire the colors of autumn on a windy road (a few more pics in the gallery).

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures. Makes me want to go for a ride!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pic's, a beautiful bug and family. Wink
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

I struck gold! I bought a set of 6J Cookies, ET36. This means the tire will move in ~13mm, so hopefully this will solve my issue with tires rubbing on fenders when going over irregular roads, bumps, etc.

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cipica, VW 1303S from '74 Reply with quote

Very nice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: