Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

I'm developing Sequential LED's for mounting behind the horn grill.
Which option do you prefer? Latching or non-latching?

Sequential Latching option

Link

Sequential non-latching option

Link

For more information, see my Samba ad.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2240900

Thanks, Wayne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

IMO the first one has more chance of being noticed.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Latching would get my Order!!
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Latching for me as well. The other way looks cheaper while the latching has a professional look to it. I like them.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Hey Wayne, those are looking good. Latching for sure.

Can you shorten the "off" time so they're not dark for so long between flash?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

The latching one is too slow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The latching one is too slow.

I agree the sequence needs to be slightly faster for better blink visibility effect .. but if I were to buy one or the other.... latching it would be.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

I vote latching too. The purpose of the turn signal is to catch the viewer's attention. The later style seems much dimmer (obviously since less LEDs are lit) as the number of LEDs stays almost the same. It is less likely to be seen in bright daylight. The former latching style increases the intensity (lumes) as the number of LEDs increase as the light is ON.

Did you happen to measure the light level (lumes) compared to the stock 25W bulb? Are either/both arrangements at least as bright as the stock lamp?

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I was considering adding a sequential LED strip on the bumper but your plan looks better. Looking forward to when you come to market. Wink
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

You can see the relative brightness in this video.

Link

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Visibility seems impaired by the bumper uprights.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Visibility seems impaired by the bumper uprights.

This is true, but given that these lights cannot be seen from the sides it is not a full replacement for the signal lamps on the top of the fenders. They are a nice functional addition.

Question for the OP… is the sweep rate adjustable? Just wondering if the flasher relay pulses faster/slower will the LEDs fully light? Or remain lit until the flasher relay pulses OFF.
Also, what about waterproofing? I see the prototype circuit board in the background. Is this a “sunny day only” product?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

I set the sequence rate. The circuit is powered on until the turn signal stops flashing. The board is coated with clear sealant, see ad with board operating in water. I installed a set of boards on my 66 two years ago, with no problems.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Do these include the park light function in addition to the turn signal? If not are you considering a dual function version? I’m looking at putting something in my front bumpers(boxed in) with my own clear lens. I would consider these if they provided both functions and the horn grill could be removed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Do these include the park light function in addition to the turn signal? If not are you considering a dual function version? I’m looking at putting something in my front bumpers(boxed in) with my own clear lens. I would consider these if they provided both functions and the horn grill could be removed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan to include the parking light function. Good idea! Thanks for the suggestion. Sweet Beetle.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

Are they visible form the front as viewed by another car? I presumed you were going to use nerf bars, not full bumpers.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequential LED signal lights for the horn grill Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Are they visible form the front as viewed by another car? I presumed you were going to use nerf bars, not full bumpers.

Nerf bars on standby….going with this for now with built in turn/park lights & perhaps a small 1/2” led light at both edges of the bumper for visibility from the side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: