Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ripped filler neck
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

the rubber connector from the upper gas filler pipe to the collar that holds the gas cap on ripped and prevented gas from going down the pipe- without that piece i cant seal the tank, cant drive the car........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

pull the ecu. remove the round sheet-metal insert, and you can get to the hose.

it can be a royal pain, but it’s possible.

photo from nigel skeet

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

Do both boots on the filler pipe while you are in there, and all the little pieces of hose that connect the tubing in the vapor recovery system.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

211 201 119
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

People gave me shit when I posted about fixing my neck with silicone embedded with fiberglass fibers, but it worked. Those people also make posts bitching about the poor quality of the new ones and how they tear pretty quickly.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

It's not terrible but there is some trial and error. I did mine with the replacement from Bus Depot and the lower one is the Freightliner (?) part cut down a bit - you can search that if you want.

I did it about a year ago and it still looks fine, but will keep an eye on it.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

that's amazing!
dwheil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

I replaced mine, You can get a 1 ft piece of the hose from Napa.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

ever since i replaced both pieces the engine wont start!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

You probably had to remove the air filter and S boot and all that, correct?

Make sure that all the hoses are connected correctly, and that the electrical plug on the air flow meter is seated all the way. Same with computer plug.

And just generally look around in that area and see if there is anything else you may have bumped or disturbed as you were working.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

You need power to the ignition as well, that is the black wire hooked to the #15 terminal on the coil. You need the white wire to be hooked to the #1 terminal as well.

If a vacuum hose is knocked loose the engine will typically start, maybe rev a bit high, and then either begin to run poorly or stall.

Lots of hoses and wires to knock or leave loose, everyone does it from time to time.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

I think this is a rarity. I’ve never seen a filler neck in the gym.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think this is a rarity. I’ve never seen a filler neck in the gym.

This should be a good thing. If they were tougher, they wouldn't tear as often.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

starting ok, i- sheepish grin- did some starter connection cleanup and inadvertently left one cable off the main starter post- it was hidden from my view and put the fuel pump connection on the lower 16a terminal of the starter- it goes to the one up top- but.. the new rubber filler neck is a pain because to avoid putting undue pressure on it you end up holding the gas nozzle at a safe angle- the replacement rubber part is a cheep nockoff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:
starting ok, i- sheepish grin- did some starter connection cleanup and inadvertently left one cable off the main starter post- it was hidden from my view and put the fuel pump connection on the lower 16a terminal of the starter- it goes to the one up top- but.. the new rubber filler neck is a pain because to avoid putting undue pressure on it you end up holding the gas nozzle at a safe angle- the replacement rubber part is a cheep nockoff

Thumbs Up
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: ripped filler neck Reply with quote

follow up to filler neck- the original is a piece of engineering that gets lost on the replacement- now i find that when adding fuel i have to hold the nozzle in place the filler neck will not now support it- how often do we find new replacement parts that sort of work but not really
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: