Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will they wiggle wiggle?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

Wlll stock 1600 push rods... Survive a boosted 1801cc with a stock cam and CB single HD springs? Or will they do la cucaracha? Rev limit is only 5500 as, 78.4mm Counterweight crank, stock flywheel, unitechs, (heavy rotating assembly), but not balanced as an assembly. Just the rods and pistons.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

You might get some flex that you won't be able to notice or identify! That's a pretty heavy spring for a stock cam, why not pick a better spring?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

RCP Phx wrote:
You might get some flex that you won't be able to notice or identify! That's a pretty heavy spring for a stock cam, why not pick a better spring?

what are my options? I wasnt aware there were lighter springs than the cb singles
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

You could shim up the stock springs.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance but why would you even take the chance?
The fancy tapered custom length aluminum pushrods are only about 250 bucks.
Something inside you leads you to question it. Answer.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

I've bent stock pushrods with stock springs and a 110 cam, Not sure i'd want them with HD singles on much more than the CB2239 cam in my 1776...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

German pushrods are working just fine when I setup everything.
They are strong enough to hold 200lbs. If you are bending them with only 200lbs open it is not due to that spring force, probably float, surge, or sticky guides.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but why would you even take the chance?
The fancy tapered custom length aluminum pushrods are only about 250 bucks.
Something inside you leads you to question it. Answer.

Sorry but thats my entire paycheck atm
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
German pushrods are working just fine when I setup everything.
They are strong enough to hold 200lbs. If you are bending them with only 200lbs open it is not due to that spring force, probably float, surge, or sticky guides.

Thanks. What adjusters for 1.1 ratio do you think will be best for geometry? The stock ones, or the Mazda ones?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

I agree with Modok. I prefer the stock pushrods on smaller engines with less than .430" lift. I have used them on lots of engines now. They are super easy to cut down, made of good material, and almost free.

Stock valve springs are terrible. The CB HD singles are also about the bottom of the stack in HD single spring ranking. I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about CB single springs and OE pushrods on a stock cam. I usually use a stiffer HD single right at .430" lift on stock push rods, and they work great when the geometry is all correct.

NEVER use the mazda style ball adjusters on anything but a Mazda engine. They are wrong in SOOOO many ways for a VW. If you need something fancy, the CB elephant feet are about the best for the cheaper stuff.

Brian
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I agree with Modok. I prefer the stock pushrods on smaller engines with less than .430" lift. I have used them on lots of engines now. They are super easy to cut down, made of good material, and almost free.

Stock valve springs are terrible. The CB HD singles are also about the bottom of the stack in HD single spring ranking. I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about CB single springs and OE pushrods on a stock cam. I usually use a stiffer HD single right at .430" lift on stock push rods, and they work great when the geometry is all correct.

NEVER use the mazda style ball adjusters on anything but a Mazda engine. They are wrong in SOOOO many ways for a VW. If you need something fancy, the CB elephant feet are about the best for the cheaper stuff.

Brian

Thanks. I like the cb elephant 🐘 feet but I'd have to chamfer my rockers which is fine I guess. Does anyone know if the cb 1.25 rockers come chamfered?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

Pretty sure they are just a copy of a stock rocker with the ball socket moved a little bit. No chamfer.

Just so you aren't disappointed when try them....most all of the"1.25" bolt on style rockers really only measure 1.18 in real life.

Brian
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Pretty sure they are just a copy of a stock rocker with the ball socket moved a little bit. No chamfer.

Just so you aren't disappointed when try them....most all of the"1.25" bolt on style rockers really only measure 1.18 in real life.

Brian

Thanks. I'll just chamfer mine then. This time I'll center my tailstock before I make cuts lol
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

throw some cheap CM pushrods in and be done, It's boosted!
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
throw some cheap CM pushrods in and be done, It's boosted!

Riiiggghhhttt..

I have a bucket with about 4-5 sets of cheap CM pushrods in it. You guys can have them all. Most of them have flattened wore out tips after minimal miles. Damn things just make a racket when they are still in good shape.

Never again will I use CM push rods.

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

All you need to do is get some cheap HD springs and set them up right for the lift, and then replace the rocker spring washers with solid washers.
That's all that is necessary, is shims and springs.
Bolt together shafts, aftermarket rockers or swivel adjusters are unnecessary wasting of money.
If the valves do not have hard tips then you might need lash caps or swivel adjusters but most valves have hard tips or should have them.

The pushrod length needed varies with how the rockers are setup.

The engine -width- head to head will need to be stock or less to use the OE pushrods.
It will need to be MIN .060 per side narrower to use porsche type swivels and stock pushrods.

IMO Ford courier style adjusters are in the category of 76 stroke cranks and OE sytle 1.25 rockers... yeah they exist and can work fine but it would be simpler of they did not exist. Just excessive complication, a short-cut that takes longer.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

Hey Brian, I have a few sets in a 'Bucket' too, tips are good but they flex with the double springs , he's not runnin doubles so i think they would be ok for this app.
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

I ran stock pushrods on my mostly stock engine for a year and a half at 30 psi of boost. I did have HD single springs. Stock cam at first then a Web 263 on a 112 lobe.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I ran stock pushrods on my mostly stock engine for a year and a half at 30 psi of boost. I did have HD single springs. Stock cam at first then a Web 263 on a 112 lobe.

Did you keep stock push rods with the web cams? And WOW. 2 bars of boost.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Will they wiggle wiggle? Reply with quote

I don't remember if i used them with the web now?! Seems like i did though. Yeah it was a beast for sure! Stock cam actually worked better for my set up. Web cam slowed the spool too much for me. It felt a bit faster on top end, but with stock heads it was over too soon. I think i ran up to around 32 psi on the stock stuff, but 30 psi was more average. I run efi, water to air intercooler, and E85. 8:1 compression if i remember right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: