Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2332 turbo crank & flywheel
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

My car body guy is working up an engine and I've been asked to help him source crank and flywheel options. I don't have all the engine specs but he's looking at a 2332 running 12 lbs. - 16 lbs. of boost.
He's been convinced by an "old school" builder that he must have a Demello crank wedge mated to the flywheel. Nitrated and such.

As stated, there are so many variables but to just guess that the engine will throw down 240 hp - 280 hp.... is wedge mating necessary?

I'm buying the set up for him as partial trade and I'm hoping to keep it under $1500, but if it take 2 grand for the crank & flywheel.... well, so be it. He will have to sign off and agree to the purchase that I make for his engine but I would like some guidance from you big HP turbo guys.

And yes, he will absolutely beat on this engine. not drag strip but for sure, tearing up a parking lot after hours.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately recommended, perhaps flanged is another option

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
baked beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a nice setup and good price too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1253212
57' Theirs
63' Hers
62' Drag Bug - Theirs 13.1 @ 101 mph (GONE)
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crank and a similar flywheel were in a 2332 that boosted to 14lbs in a sand car.

It is the Scat forged 84mm crank and Scat flywheel.
No wedgemate, just the dowels.

I bought it used and it checked out fine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could have 1000hp, if the car has 185 street radials no problem.

What kind of traction is it going to have? Slicks? Sand Paddle?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need to pose that question Jon. I know they are at least a 60, maybe 50's. I know its tubbed and the rear fenders he has widened 3" on each side........and the tires fill it.

I think it's a bit over the top but with the large tires, the stress through out must be just tremendous.

Here is the car. The painted one just got finished and is his sons car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and a pic of mine just cause I love my car Laughing

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

light or heavy flywheel for a boosted application in a light car? Need to tell my machine shop how much I want my flywheel lightened
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

I have a buddy running a boosted 2332 putting 224 hp to the tires with a CB regular 8 dowel crank and forged flywheel. This set up is in a street rail buggy (light) with big drag radials. I would recommend in a heavier car or any more power for sure, you would want wedgemated or flanged. Those tires pictured are big, just not sure how well they will actually hook up which will be the deciding factor
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

I have a 12lb on my race engine. It really doesnt matter once the turbo kicks in the engine will spin up up quickly anyways. 4500-7000 is pretty much instantaneous.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

Load does matter. But a lightened flywheel isn't going to make or break it. Ever try to rev a turbo motor with a BIG turbo in neutral and see how much boost it makes? I have.. almost none. Put it in drive and the more 'load' you have the earlier it'll build boost. Lighten every friccin thing in the rotating assembly and you'll need to rev pretty high to take advantage of a larger turbocharger. Things have to jive, weight, gear ratio, tire size, displacement, size of turbo, target HP @ what rpm. You don't just guess and then toss things together and hope for the best. Nor do you rely on hearsay from internet. Find credible resources and build from there.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

thanks yall. Yeah im building kind of an odd ball turbo build. 78.4mm crank, 86mm chysler pistons, 5.5 inch rods, stock cam, ported dp heads, 37mm throttle bodies with water injection, etc. Kinda budget kinda not. will be fun. aiming for 160-170 whp at a bar+ of boost at 5kish rpm.

Since, im having my flywheel resurfaced and balanced anyhow, i may as well just have them lighten it. Should help me get off the line a tad better.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Should help me get off the line a tad better.

Lightening your flywheel will only affect how fast your motor revs up/down. No affect on "getting off the line better."

I see alot of people do things just because they can. But don't always know if they should or shouldn't

I run full weight flywheels in my turbo motors. The latest has a custom Kennedy flange set up for both kep double disc and rev6
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Should help me get off the line a tad better.

Inertia will help get you off the line better, a heavy flywheel will keep the engine spinning longer than a light one, however, with a turbo engine, there is so much power on tap that I don't know that a heavy fw is truly going to make or break your launch. I have a lightened flywheel on my turbo engine, but when I was building it, the only new options out there that were decent were light, and honestly I didn't care one way or the other. If I was to build one today, I'd either use a factory flywheel at full weight, or the CB adjustable unit with the weights in place.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

The only thing i noticed when going to a lightened flywheel was you had to feather the gas a bit more to ease off the line.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2332 turbo crank & flywheel Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I have a 12lb on my race engine. It really doesnt matter once the turbo kicks in the engine will spin up up quickly anyways. 4500-7000 is pretty much instantaneous.

That tells it like it is Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: