Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat rocker Studs.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Just finished the cam Break-in on a 2332 drag motor with Scat 1.4 rockers.
After changing oil , checking valves, I re-tested. being sure to hit the limiter a few times as an acid test...

2 min after shut down, I hear a "bang". The right side rockers popped the studs right off.
By luck it happened after shutdown so no harm to anything but the studs.
I double checked everything. NO reason I can see for this to happen.

Are Scat studs a problem?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Just finished the cam Break-in on a 2332 drag motor with Scat 1.4 rockers.
After changing oil , checking valves, I re-tested. being sure to hit the limiter a few times as an acid test...

2 min after shut down, I hear a "bang". The right side rockers popped the studs right off.
By luck it happened after shutdown so no harm to anything but the studs.
I double checked everything. NO reason I can see for this to happen.

Are Scat studs a problem?

K800 springs?

Never heard of the Scat rocker studs snapping.

I run the standard dual springs on my Tims SII heads. Same with the rocker studs. Never had an issue.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

I think you found a random weak stud. Are you going to change the other 3? Both studs broke or 1?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Wow.
Crazy.

You just never know, eh?

I’d say re-check for coil bind but I’m sure you did that..

With aftermarket parts anything is possible.

What’s That Noise?!?
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Not that it's common (yet) but this is the 2nd in recent history I've heard of. Similar story as well. Motor was on the stand and it must've happened at night or something as nobody noticed until the broken stud was sitting on the floor in the corner.

What's funny is that Scat really emphasizes the use of their studs with their rockers. The Scat rockers themselves I like. The studs (used to) not so sure anymore....but quality issues abound all over lately.

We use Brothers VW version of chromoly studs now. No problems.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

I actually got alot of feedback on breaking Scat studs on the HP VW's Facebook page. Common on higher spring motors. Swapping studs fixes the problem. At least 4 documented cases.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

saw one break just sitting there, CB 650 springs, engine never was started.

We throw them in the trash. use the Brothers one's or RPI makes H11 ones for 25$ each.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
saw one break just sitting there, CB 650 springs, engine never was started.

We throw them in the trash. use the Brothers one's or RPI makes H11 ones for 25$ each.

That's exactly what I did, Just bought a set of special studs with Rolled threads. They cost, but they are super nice. You can tell they have much higher tensile strength. They go from snug, to full torque in about 1/8 of a turn. Very little stretch.

Gonna re-fire this week and give them the acid test...
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

There is also the option of stepping up to 10mm or 10mm x 3/8-24" studs like Pauter uses, you'll pull it out of the head before you break them!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

The 10mm is the way to go - for any increase in springs.

you just never know these days w/ products quality issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motodad115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Add me to the list of snapped Scat rocker studs. Brand new set of 1.4 rockers ordered from Brothers Machine. Engine sitting on stand with zero time, CB 650 valve springs. Installed rockers and set geometry a couple weeks ago, yesterday I walk by the engine and noticed the valve cover was laying on the ground (bolt on covers). Upon further inspection 3 of the 4 studs had snapped. I will give Brothers a call to get new studs ordered. Glad I stumbled upon this thread.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Are the CB 1495 Racing Rocker studs out of the running here? Curious since no one mentioned them as an option to replace the broken Scat ones.

Ted
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Are the CB 1495 Racing Rocker studs out of the running here? Curious since no one mentioned them as an option to replace the broken Scat ones.

Ted

I've snapped them, FK8 with 1.4s and dual springs.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
motodad115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Well now all 4 studs have snapped. I called Brothers and ordered their rocker studs, not cheap but will hopefully pay for themselves in the long run.
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

I hope the studs from Brothers work for you!
The Berg's have heavy duty rocker studs along with heavy duty nuts.
Cry Once.....
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

Im looking for ARP equivalent— i dont mind maching the pads and heads for the larger heads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat rocker Studs. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Im looking for ARP equivalent— i dont mind maching the pads and heads for the larger heads

I use a lot of ARP products but I haven't seen anything that's even close to the equivalent to a rocker stud!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: