Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving your vw on the interstate..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

So I've been driving Henry pretty much daily since getting him back from the shop (and running perfectly, btw), and I swear to J,M&J, people drive like focking arseholes when they see and/or approach an acVW.

I drive the car on the highway maybe 5 mph slower than my modern DD (a 2015 Civic), and stay out of the passing lane. On North Shore back roads I drive it just like the Civic, staying near the limit, but usually go over a little when I can, as is customary.

This week, multiple times, I've been tail-gated, ripped past and cut off, and tonight, a Mustang went by me at literally 100mph, so close that I felt my car rock. This stuff never happens when I'm in the nondescript Honda.

I'm gonna see what happens the next few days, and then do the same routes again in my Civic and take notes, so to speak.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

I blew the doors of a newish 'Stang' Saturday for ya,,,passed him like he was sitting still Wink Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
So I've been driving Henry pretty much daily since getting him back from the shop (and running perfectly, btw), and I swear to J,M&J, people drive like focking arseholes when they see and/or approach an acVW.

I drive the car on the highway maybe 5 mph slower than my modern DD (a 2015 Civic), and stay out of the passing lane. On North Shore back roads I drive it just like the Civic, staying near the limit, but usually go over a little when I can, as is customary.

This week, multiple times, I've been tail-gated, ripped past and cut off, and tonight, a Mustang went by me at literally 100mph, so close that I felt my car rock. This stuff never happens when I'm in the nondescript Honda.

I'm gonna see what happens the next few days, and then do the same routes again in my Civic and take notes, so to speak.

I’m on the North shore too at Port Jeff, and you do have about 3-5% of 100 mph racers on the major highways. I don’t think it’s a VW issue. I drive much the same , at or slightly above posted speed limit with flow in the right lane

I don’t understand the obsession with people close behind. They probably have much better brakes than you so chances they will hit you are low, if they do, a rear end is definitely the best collision to be in, and you can always get rid of them by shaving off 5 mph slowly. No brake checking lplese, don’t be a dick
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

I am encountering all the same issues driving our TDI. I stick to the speed limit mostly to conserve this expensive fuel but also because I hate getting tickets. I find the absolute hands down worst guys are the ones with the monster diesel pickups. They come howling up behind you, ride your arse like a hormone crazed love puppy and swerve around you at the stupidest times and craziest places rolling coal so bad that no one can see to drive!

Every time I see one of those rigs in a parking lot I have this irresistible urge to flatten all his tires! Not that they would notice or drive any different on flats I'm sure...
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

Maybe it's just coincidence or bad timing or both but this kind of shit does not happen when I'm in the Civic.

When one of these bumper humpers gets up behind me I maintain my speed. No brake checking. Not worth the immediate future aggravation. And I'll never catch them if they actually do hit me. =o\

And as far as that Mustang, I was thinking about when some bozo comes down my block too fast, at say 60 mph, what that looks and feels like when I'm standing in my driveway or on the sidewalk. When the Mustang went by last night, and I was doing 60-ish, the relative speed of the Mustang was right around the sensation of 60-ish with me at a standstill, so you do the math. He was probably doing closer to 120.

I have a dash cam in the Civic, but not in the VW. I'm gonna have to rig something up using the 6v system. Maybe a converter to 12v power output? I have no cig lighter, though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

The drive at 62mph went reasonably well yesterday. Most people still flying by like we were going backwards, a few bumper humpers for sure. I guess fuel is not high enough yet, it has not effected driving behaviour in the least. People still drive as if fuel is free then complain bitterly at the pumps.

Hey Buddy! If your hand hurts… maybe take it out of the fire… just sayin’…

To quote Mark, our beloved resident English language butcher “you can’t fix stupid “!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

Had the Civic out yesterday on the same route. Not one weird or unusual occurrence.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I blew the doors of a newish 'Stang' Saturday for ya,,,passed him like he was sitting still Wink Laughing

Thanks for that. After I read it, I offered my stang driver an honorary Bronx cheer. Smile
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

I've been rolling the 77 Benz in the slow lane on I95 at 65, and not had any issues, folks see it and go around without a thought. When im passing some one doing 60 in the slow lane, and im only going 70-75 then sometimes there are those behind who get all wound up, high beams flashing, occasional intimidation, get close enough where their lights are invisible. That gets a heavy foot on the diesel throttle but not enough to really accelerate, as the car tops out at 85, and it takes quite a while to build momentum. I do gtf out of the way, but safely. Im not brake checking anyone though!

I do the same in the bus, sliw lNe at 60, 65 and I get thumbs up, folks taking cell pics, waving, and nary a problem. But then, its not often im passing anyone. The bus is the slow traffic!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

I used to get pissed at impatient folks behind me as I am passing. I usually choose my passing moment carefully so I don't hold anyone up, but sometimes it can't be avoided. Signaling both the passing action and the return help with their impatience, since they know you are in some way acknowledging them.

I don't flip them off. I just drive in a way that I am likely to avoid the debris field from them crashing, which they WILL do one of these days, driving as they do.

No loss there, but the sad fact is that they usually take others down with them. For that they should burn in hell.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

I'll have to admit that when I see an ACVW up ahead in traffic, I try to get a little closer to take a nice look. Maybe there are other enthusiasts like me that just want a close look?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

I can tell who those folks are. They go by slowly, or creep up next to me, pace me, sometimes with a wave or thumb-up, and then move on at a sane speed.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

And I have tried to communicate the general turtle-like nature of the car. In fact, I think I made it pretty obvious.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

That sticker is hilarious scottyrocks.

I've noticed the same thing when I drive my bug on the freeway. I usually right lane cruise at 70. I've had multiple occasions where someone has come flying up behind me and only swerved into the completely open middle lane at the last possible second. It doesn't happen when I drive the Nissan. Once, someone pulled the last second maneuver, and past me using half of MY lane, as a generally stay nearer the right edge because it happens so often.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

Okay, so it's not just me and I'm not crazy, or at least for this reason, anyway.

And it's not like I sit in the passing lane at the speed limit. I'm usually all the way to the right. And I don't like the right lane because when I come to an interchange, and cars are entering and exiting, I usually have to slow down, and these cars (stock) don't exactly gather their speed back up with any urgency.

On Long Island, most of our highways are 3 lanes each way. If there is any sort of traffic, which most of the time there is, I prefer the middle lane, as long as I can keep up. And when there's some traffic, there is never (very rarely) an extreme speeder or tail-gater.

Come to think of it, I have these aggressive driver issues mainly when there is little-to-no traffic, when these ass-clowns have nothing in their way, except me, it seems, but hey, how much road do you need? I guess two lanes are not enough when you have the IQ of a rabid porcupine.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

Come to think of it, I have these aggressive driver issues mainly when there is little-to-no traffic, when these ass-clowns have nothing in their way, except me, it seems, but hey, how much road do you need? I guess two lanes are not enough when you have the IQ of a rabid porcupine.

Same here. When there is little to no traffic is when they want to see how close they can barley miss..

We do have the A-holes that will swerve from the #1 lane, all the way over to #3 and back doing 90 when all three lanes are heavy-ish with traffic, but still moving doing 60.

Many, many times I've seen them pass on the shoulder or median stip as well. The section of freeway I drive every day is almost never patrolled. It's amazing because the accident rate is extremely high. Road crews are constantly repairing the smash barriers in the median and on the right edge.

But with that rant over, I definitely notice people swerve around me in my bug at high rates of speed when the middle and fast lane are completely empty. It's almost Iike they are trying to send me a message that they are pissed I'm driving my old car 5mph OVER the posted limit.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

My peeve on those passers is how little gap they leave before diving back into my lane. That usually forces me to break, because who knows what that ass-clown will do next, and the guy in the rear is presumed at fault.
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

So I drive my baby on the highway (may do a 30 hour trip in the coming weeks!), but a problem I come upon is on the main roads people get impatient at lights and wanna zoom around me before I even have the chance to get going! They think I'm slower than molasses, without even seeing me moving!

My beetle has pretty good low-end torque, so I can usually get off the line as quickly as all the other cars and get up to speed in South FL main roads as fast as everyone else...

Now this highway trip is gunna be fun. I got her all ready for the trip, got extra points, condenser, a spare carb, extra valve cover gaskets, oil, and some other odds and ends just in case like duct tape, hey, you never know!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I definitely notice people swerve around me in my bug at high rates of speed when the middle and fast lane are completely empty. It's almost like they are trying to send me a message that they are pissed I'm driving my old car 5mph OVER the posted limit.

That's exactly the feeling I get, as well.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Driving your vw on the interstate.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
I definitely notice people swerve around me in my bug at high rates of speed when the middle and fast lane are completely empty. It's almost like they are trying to send me a message that they are pissed I'm driving my old car 5mph OVER the posted limit.

That's exactly the feeling I get, as well.

I notice this on the LIE , Nesconsett. Less so on the parkways. LEO here tells me we still have some residual left over racers from the Covid era when apparently it was lawless at night
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: