Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator pulley and crank pulley do NOT align. Fix?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexvw wrote:
Shroud is original to the car,that dont mean it was correct

alt is the same as og, the stand came with the alternator kit so it is the correct stand, the tins are aftermarket chrome ones because my original where all bent and rusting through.
does that mean the fan housing is not OG?

All og backing plates are put on it, i will look at the stand to see if the back is hitting it. Im thinking it might be the crank pulley causing this if all of these alternator problems are checking ok. It is in aftermarket degree pulley with the 4 big holes in it. Should I i try the original pulley?

should i try the org pulley?
that be first, maybe your pulley is for some other TYPE VW?
they make many pulleys,
id have started there. mixing parts is not easy.
not at all.

i cant see the pulley clear a shot from lower right side close and in focus
might jog 1000 watchers here..
fraken bugs. are a powerful force. imagine on the road fails, with non OG parts. ouch

74 SB , with DP, and DOG house fan,
you need to run stock dog house fan/house, it is rumored that all aftermarket
fan houses are crap, for many reasons, (shit hits fan now) 1 exception....IIRC (scat?)
and get it , blast it and paint it.
now you have real cooling with a matching fan with the gap set to bentleys
spec. that is what you want.
then the next thing all DOG owners is, a Alternator with real bearings.
not China crap in there, not now , not ever.
now you have good cooling and a ALt that fits.
and good internal housing vanes, that actually work.
IMO. !!!
WINK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Alternator pulley and crank pulley do NOT align. Fix? Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my new alternator. But it wasn't the alternator,it was the new aftermarket crank pulley that I put on, after I installed the alternator. The new aftermarket crank pulley draws to close to the case by 1/8,causing poor alignment with belt. I correct this by putting back on the stock Volkswagen crank pulley.Those Empi crank pulley look nice, but can give you bad aftermath of wearing out belts quick,bearing and bushing damage to your Alternator or generator. Aftermarket parts don't fit half the time,and cause bad alignment and "BIGTIME" problems.
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all changes of any belt pulley accessories. (all cars made)
the last step by the book, is check alignment....

on the bug, there are vast numbers of ways to get this wrong.
wrong fan/base/gen-stand/alternator and as you said a crap clone pulley.

mixing wrong year, parts.?

the Alt is bolted to the fan housing? if that housing dont match up to your alternator it will be set wrong.
the base flanges are not all the same. to front of the alternator.

try a stock pulley, and work from there.
the other parts are not easy to identify as they have no stamped partnumbers on some parts.
for example is that clone fan housing any good?
and where did that base on the housing come from.? to front of ALT.?
hard questions. no easy answers.
the solution is to fit up orig. OG vw parts, and try them.
jgrexx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was gonna say make sure there's not a sand seal 1/8" spacer behind the alt pulley but it doesn't look like you have one on there from the pics.

the sand seal pulley has 1/8" spacers behind the crank pulley and the alt pulley to space it out so the crank pulley doesn't rub the case.
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure sounds like it, , and many posts here with
some one buying pulley in a blister pack and not noticing it say sand seal bugs.
ive never seen or heard of complaint about a short pulley besides
your sand seal deal.

one guy had his fan housing, and bases all mixed up, this year.
and nothing fit.
frostbite36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator pulley and crank pulley do NOT align. Fix? Reply with quote

Strangely, I am having the same issue. My alternator pulley is misaligned too far to rear of car. I sourced the parts from different venders online (on amazon) when doing the 12V alternator conversion so backing plate could be an issue? It is a dog house style backing plate kit and doghouse fan shroud (changed to doghouse oil cooler too). I was thinking I could possibly shim out the crank pulley a bit and take a tiny bit off back of alternator pulley? My misalignment is in the realm of 1/4"...which is a lot. Still using the stock style crank and alternator pulleys. I have not pulled off the crank pulley yet.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator pulley and crank pulley do NOT align. Fix? Reply with quote

The problem:
frostbite36 wrote:
I sourced the parts from different venders online (on amazon).

chy-kneeze sheetmetal & shroud? Amazon is plagued w/ it.
1/4" rearward misalignment is way too far outta the realm of correction by shimming: the fatal issue here is possibly hardware incompatibility / quality.
Suggest verifying that all the proper sheetmetal & a correct alternator stand were sourced - perhaps upload a few pics so that we might further advise:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frostbite36
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator pulley and crank pulley do NOT align. Fix? Reply with quote

frostbite36 wrote:
Strangely, I am having the same issue. My alternator pulley is misaligned too far to rear of car. I sourced the parts from different venders online (on amazon) when doing the 12V alternator conversion so backing plate could be an issue? It is a dog house style backing plate kit and doghouse fan shroud (changed to doghouse oil cooler too). I was thinking I could possibly shim out the crank pulley a bit and take a tiny bit off back of alternator pulley? My misalignment is in the realm of 1/4"...which is a lot. Still using the stock style crank and alternator pulleys. I have not pulled off the crank pulley yet.

The stock OG single port cooling tin appears to be the biggest obstacle to pushing the Alternator/fan housing forward (toward front of car) which would easily align things. I did put 2 crank pulley spacers on with a longer crank bolt than stock and used a hammer handle to wedge/push the fan housing/alternator into better alignment toward front of car while I tightened the alternator strap. Results are pretty much perfect, but more effort than I've ever had to use in 30 years of messing with Type-1s.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator pulley and crank pulley do NOT align. Fix? Reply with quote

The problem is the crank shaft pulley. VW made two different offsets on the later pulleys and will cause the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: