Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Notchback dual horn question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

Gents, I promise I've looked around, but I'm just not finding any images of the dual horn configuration for the T3. Plenty of T14 pics, and I even found one for a Vanagon, which I think is likely similar, only mounted lower.

First, am I completely cracked, and the "dual horn" parts are a misnomer, and it's really only supposed to have a single horn? You'd think there would be a picture of it somewhere!

Secondly, and you probably saw this coming, does anybody have a picture of how the dual horn configuration looks when properly installed? My car will never be OG, but I'd love to get a bracket that at least looks and sets properly.

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

Type 3 came with one horn. It is tipically mounted under the Dr side front bumper. There is a special c bracket that holds it. Dual horns were an accessory. The mist common being fanfare horns. They mount on opposite sides of the front bumper guards. If you search fanfare horns, you will find a pic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=174159&highlight=fanfare

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

On my '71, I added a second horn and used a stock bracket on the right side bumper bracket, along the lines of the stock setup. I'm not sure if I had to modify it or not.
I have not added a relay, and at low idle it used to be pretty spotty. New battery and solid state regulator means it works fine now, though I may still add a relay to avoid too much current through the horn button.
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

Are the dual horns standard for French import type 3's? My 65 Notch is a French import and it has what appears to be factory holes in the bumpers for mounting dual horns. The French imports also have the unique rear reflectors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

post pics of the holes - maybe not "factory" but probably dealer or aftermarket add on when new
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

GearheadJim wrote:
Are the dual horns standard for French import type 3's? My 65 Notch is a French import and it has what appears to be factory holes in the bumpers for mounting dual horns. The French imports also have the unique rear reflectors.

‘64 and ‘65 have those “Mickey mouse ears”, but I think I’m learning it doesn’t necessarily mean that it has dual horns..

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

These are the French dual horns I was referring to:

Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:

‘64 and ‘65 have those “Mickey mouse ears”, but I think I’m learning it doesn’t necessarily mean that it has dual horns..

I remember seeing a picture/diagram years ago of dual horns behind the Mickey Mouse ears. It must have been either a one off or a rare option. No idea. If I remember right it looked like using a Karmann Ghia dual horn mount. It was not like the fanfare horns and mounts.
It would not be difficult except for the horn mount. Purchasing the KGhia horn relay, High and low horns, and the horn mount would be the needed to make it happen. You might call or go back to "Way Out Salvage" and retrieve the horn mount from a Ghia. Or create your own horn mounts using two Typ 3 mounts off the center strut.
Interesting Idea
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input everybody. I’ve purchased two sets of brackets, and my initial plan is to just mount them “normally” on each side.

I had considered doing the Ghia setup too. I’ll have to think on it some. Once I get this set up, it’s on to a distributor and carbs rebuild, so…

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

The regular Type 3 came with a single horn, only the Karmann Ghia models had two horns standard.

I have made the conversion on my Squareback and it’s doable but you have to re-wire the circuit, so look at the Ghia horn wiring diagram and understand the difference. When adding a 2nd horn you will need to add a relay as the stock single horn setup doesn’t have one.

The stock setup is power from fuse box directly to horn, then ground from horn up the steering column to the horn button, then down through the center of the column, jumping over the steering coupler, and grounding to the front beam via the steering box.

Two use two horns you need to increase the wire gauge from fuse box to horns which is pretty easy to do if you pull out the trunk liner to get access to the harness. I found a spot to mount a relay under the dash.

You also need to change how the horns ground because now you will be using the horn button to ground the relay rather than the horns themselves. So you ground each horn locally (I used the bumper bracket bolts) and then thankfully there is a T1 inline connector in the stock horn ground wire under the dash just before it runs up into the steering column. Disconnect the original ground wire there and connect up your relay ground wire to that connector.

I found a rebuilt set of 6v Ghia dual-tone horns somewhere and the sound is great, nice tone but also quite loud.

I later wound up running a new fused power wire direct from the battery to the horn relay as I was having trouble with the horns being anemic or not sounding at all if the headlights were on and the engine was at idle.

Here's the before & after:

Link

GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

Here are the mounting holes on my 65 French import Notchback. These appear to be factory, not drilled. Horn mounting?

Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The regular Type 3 came with a single horn, only the Karmann Ghia models had two horns standard.

I have made the conversion on my Squareback and it’s doable but you have to re-wire the circuit, so look at the Ghia horn wiring diagram and understand the difference. When adding a 2nd horn you will need to add a relay as the stock single horn setup doesn’t have one.

The stock setup is power from fuse box directly to horn, then ground from horn up the steering column to the horn button, then down through the center of the column, jumping over the steering coupler, and grounding to the front beam via the steering box.

Two use two horns you need to increase the wire gauge from fuse box to horns which is pretty easy to do if you pull out the trunk liner to get access to the harness. I found a spot to mount a relay under the dash.

You also need to change how the horns ground because now you will be using the horn button to ground the relay rather than the horns themselves. So you ground each horn locally (I used the bumper bracket bolts) and then thankfully there is a T1 inline connector in the stock horn ground wire under the dash just before it runs up into the steering column. Disconnect the original ground wire there and connect up your relay ground wire to that connector.

I found a rebuilt set of 6v Ghia dual-tone horns somewhere and the sound is great, nice tone but also quite loud.

I later wound up running a new fused power wire direct from the battery to the horn relay as I was having trouble with the horns being anemic or not sounding at all if the headlights were on and the engine was at idle.

Did you tweak your second horn? I remember giving one horn 1/8th of a turn in the center of the unit to give more of a dual sound.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

No, they are the stock horns from a Ghia. There is a high tone and a low tone horn, I don't recall the frequencies off hand but together they make a nice sound. And loud too. Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

The two-tone is better not just for volume, but for the shrill combo that is like fingers a chalkboard and demands attention!
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Notchback dual horn question Reply with quote

Well gents, as usual, I can really only focus my attention in a few different directions at once, and I'm coming back to this thread.

If you're interested in what I've come up with ultimately, I'll post a couple of videos I put up. Basically I lucked out on a "lot" of "broken" horns, rebuilt the two best, which just happened to be tief and hoch, so true dual horn sounds.

Then, I used my two sets of brackets to mount one on each corner hanging from under the front bumper, and wired up a relay, very much like sjbartnik suggested earlier in this thread.

It works great, but I think the horns sound a bit weak, and the adjustment isn't making the difference. I may return to the horns at some point with a more complete restoration goal, and see if that improves things a bit.

Horn restoration video
Horns installation and troubleshooting video

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: