Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Cross posted from Facebook -
NOTE: This install is not Brandon's work. He is simply sharing information he saw elsewhere.

This is the inside with the rtx1000. It is running off a Crooked Finger Designs battery box with 120ah of lithium. It protrudes about 4.5-5 inches but could be adjusted if you wanted it sticking off the roof higher instead, I wanted it to be more streamline. It operates at 18amps in eco mode which is great while driving in 85-95° weather. Will also run in standard mode at ~30amps which is great for 100+. Also boost mode is great at the very beginning if your van has been in the sun, if pulls 50amps in that mode. thanks for all the interest!

... "if I did it again I might do the 2000, but I think I want to build an even bigger electrical system first"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Brandon. Looks like I've found next winter's project! Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

That is a slick install recessed into the luggage carrier like that!

Much praise!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Man, You beat me to it. Dimensionally I knew it would it would work. Where/how did you run your wiring from the top and where did you mount your battery? I know I sound like Mr. Question, but how does it work in an overnight camping situation and why would you consider the RTX 2000? More pics please! I love it!
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Nice!

Why would you consider the RTX-2000? Did the 1000 not keep you cool enough?

Why did you cut away so much of the luggage carrier? The instructions say you only need a 390mm x 480mm opening (15.3" x 18.9").

Where did you buy it? Dometic is sorta cagey about these… no dealers listed, and a "Contact Us" button that doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for any more info you can offer!
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

That's great, well done, exactly what i need in my '82 aircooled. Any pics of the thru-roof process?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Sorry I should have mentioned further - this it not my install. I saw it on a Facebook group and thought it deserved it's own Samba thread. Great work by Crooked Finger Designs for a clean install.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

That looks so slick. I don't have what it takes to cut into the roof like that. I will just have to live with an ecoflow if it comes down to it.
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Any chance of a link to the original facebook site this came from, I'm interested go learn about this set-up.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

We are looking at putting one of these in the back part of our Reimo hightop install. Our van has no AC so this is a win/win for us. Crooked Fingers does great work and I believe this van will be at Descend so we are eager to check it out.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Here is the dometic website for the device:
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/professional/truck-s...000-262672

It only cools @ 3,400 BTUs.

Am I missing something? You need 10 times that much cooling for daytime running in a van this size.

It's designed for sleeper semis while parked at night.

They're 3 grand!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384712381076

If this is for night time use, get a 120v portable and run it off a small generator, or plug in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-12-500-BT.../317867770
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
We are looking at putting one of these in the back part of our Reimo hightop install. Our van has no AC so this is a win/win for us. Crooked Fingers does great work and I believe this van will be at Descend so we are eager to check it out.
nate

Excited to see some videos of that.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:

Am I missing something? You need 10 times that much cooling for daytime running in a van this size.

They're 3 grand!!!

If this is for night time use, get a 120v portable and run it off a small generator, or plug in.

How did you determine you would need 34k BTU? A simple online calculator shows me around 6.5K BTU given 80 squre feet and a 7' ceiling height. That is only twice what it puts out and with parking in the shade and window covers, this should be plenty.
Generators are not for us and if we can plug in we are in the wrong campsite.
Our hightop isn't going on anytime soon and we will see if they come down in price or if there are other competitors in the space then.

nate

Last edited by thatbaldwinlife on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:
thatbaldwinlife wrote:
nate

Excited to see some videos of that.

You may have to wait a bit but thanks!! Very Happy
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

thatbaldwinlife wrote:
steve244 wrote:

They're 3 grand!!!

How did you determine you would need 34k BTU? A simple online calculator shows me around 6.5K BTU given 80 squre feet and a 7' ceiling height. That is only twice what it puts out and with parking in the shade and window covers, this should be plenty.
Our hightop isn't going on anytime soon and we will see if they come down in price or if there are other competitors in the space then.

nate

So the idea is to spend 3 grand on a 12V A/C for comfort at night? I missed that part.

Carry on.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

For driving use comparison a small in-dash Unit from Nostalgic Air is 11,000 BTU and they go up from there.
Their under-dash models are like 14,000 15,000 16,000....
So 3-4 times higher rating than the truck sleeper A/C from Dometic.

The manufacturer says it isn't meant as the primary A/C.
They say to pre-cool the interior with the vehicles primary A/C.
They say to park the vehicle in the shade.
This is then meant to help keep it cooler during the driver rest periods.

I'm sure it is a fine product for the application it is meant for.
I await reports of how well it works for different Vanagon uses.

Mark
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
thatbaldwinlife wrote:
steve244 wrote:

They're 3 grand!!!

nate

So the idea is to spend 3 grand on a 12V A/C for comfort at night? I missed that part.

Carry on.

Maybe. But more than likely there will be other options in the future. We would also use it while driving if needed. I would rather spend $3K on this then have to find a campground with a 120v outlet! Very Happy
We have some time before we put on the top so we aren't clicking the buy button today, no need to get worked up. Hopefully gonna check it out at DOB and see how it does there in the 90 degree heat!
nate
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

BTUs are BTUs.

3,400 won't cool it if any sun is hitting the van.

Night or complete shade it might be comfortable inside with just this, I wouldn't bet 3 grand on it.

Quote:
How powerful are automotive air conditioners? Most sedans have air conditioning systems that can approach 40,000 BTU (3.3 Tons) in capacity. A typical 3,000 square foot house can easily be cooled by a 36,000 BTU (3 Ton) system. Cars need massive cooling capacity in order to quickly bring down the interior temperatures on hot days (easily 130 degrees F) to comfortable levels (70-75 degrees F) in a few minutes. Houses, on the other hand, only need to handle temperature variations of about 15 degrees.

source
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/258.cfm

This did give me pause to reconsider A/C for an 82 AC Westy.

If I can convince she who hates camping and the outdoors to come with me on a trip, I might need this if ambient temps are above the 70s.

https://coldmasterinc.com/product/a-c-kit-universa...s-campers/

Gilmore Enterprises was recommended for air-cooled A/C. I have asked if they do compressor mounts for type 4 engines...

I might consider the horror of a portable A/C I can throw between the seats and run off a small honda (quiet) inverter generator for use at night, but I think I can get her to suck it up with just fans after the sun goes down.

As for me, I sweat reeeeeal good.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Good info but I'm gonna ask the guy who has one in his Westy how it works and hopefully sit in it when its hot and and see. We have lived without AC for all these years and when we live full time in our van soon, we will be fine either way!! I don't need my van cooled from 130f to 70f in a few minutes. An hour in the shade to knock it down to high 70's would be like heaven on a hot day.
Maybe there will be a Chinese knock off here in a few years we can test out Smile
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

I’m no expert, but even in econo mode, it would be a pretty substantial battery array to run this from sundown to sun up. You’d then need to calculate how much alternator and panel you’d need to fully recharge for the following evening. Every year it seems we get closer to a fully off grid AC system for our vanagons. I fully support this direction. Our last cross country trip required camping in state parks to have power for our 5000 btu window shaker. It would be nice to have the ability to have AC all night without the cord. Thanks for showing this. The required hole is way beyond what I’d be willing to cut in. A fiberglass high top, would be a better solution that could easily be undone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: