Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Isn't the speedo bezel the same dimensionally regardless whether it's brown or chrome? The difference is in the pod. You need a standard pod which has the smaller opening where the speedo sits further back. Your pod is for a deluxe allowing the ring to stick further out, which also explains the white knobs.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:
Isn't the speedo bezel the same dimensionally regardless whether it's brown or chrome? The difference is in the pod. You need a standard pod which has the smaller opening where the speedo sits further back. Your pod is for a deluxe allowing the ring to stick further out, which also explains the white knobs.

Ah! So the bezel is the same Profile and dimension for Deluxe & standard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

I am wondering why vw made this so complicated? why not have 1 pod, 1 size hole and either painted or chrome bezels?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Solex overhauled. Unfortunately the linkage was quite pitted so it doesn’t look great zinc plated, but it won’t rust. Not bad for a £30 wreck though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Ok it’s not quite right for my car but good enough. STD Speedo in a painted Deluxe pod. The light lenses came up well with a little t-cut.

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

I did a little research on the dealership my car was originally sold through.

https://www.hahn-gruppe.de/hahn/automobile/hahn_gruppe/unternehmen/geschichte/1940.de.html

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

And here’s a photo of the car being uncovered in Bulgaria 2008

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

what's up doc? Your car is to find in the classified ads?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

I thought I'd post something as it's been a turbulent period and will be for a little while, hence the ad. But I'm progressing a little. I managed to trace the guy in Bulgaria who initially discovered the car, fantastic!

"I found it in late autumn, 2008, i managed to save it from a French person. The story the owner told me is that he had bought it from a german during 1962 who crashed it during his visit in Bulgaria. From then until now it belonged only to the person i bought it from. The city we got it from is Asenovgrad, around 150km away from Sofia. The person we bought it from was the boss of a tobacco factory in the city. This is i would say everything about the car.”

So I've also decided not to restore it yet but just get it running and roadworthy
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… '49, doesn't look bad - i'd use it as is -?

I've always enjoyed input from ZENVWDRIVER Smile

However I live in the sticks and have a thing for ground clearance so I'm going to build it to Typ 51 spec. I've managed to collect all the period correct KDF running gear and tyres (Big thank you Martin Southwell). Although I might use a Barndoor gearbox I have rather than flip the diff in the original... undecided.
Anyway wheels off tomorrow to be painted. beam coming out as it had a tower mod and lever shock "upgrade" needs putting right.
the good news is, although heavily repaired over the years its really solid and needs no welding repairs.

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

I was looking for markings on the torsion spring cover today. All I got was repairs. Ever tried lace welding? Not easy, think I’ll tidy it up and keep it on the car as a nod to those who kept it on the road behind the iron curtain.

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Best bet is to hang it on your garage wall if you want to keep it as a tribute to a former owner(s), but put a decent one on the car. I see that one or two of the bolt holes are elongated - not a good sign.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Best bet is to hang it on your garage wall if you want to keep it as a tribute to a former owner(s), but put a decent one on the car. I see that one or two of the bolt holes are elongated - not a good sign.

I'd flip it upside down form the photo with four "legs/bolts, and use it as an ashtray/change holder/key tray.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:

Oh ye of little faith Martin Wink
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

In the spirit of doing it all arse about face, I painted the wheels.

Might go for 70’s suburban camouflage.

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Martin Southwell wrote:

I'd flip it upside down form the photo with four "legs/bolts, and use it as an ashtray/change holder/key tray.

The flip side is worse Confused But I’ll see how it goes.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Those tyres are epic!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

quote - "I found it in late autumn, 2008, i managed to save it from a French person." Laughing Think

if painting the wheels and new tyres provides a fillip to keeping going then it's all good.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

I spent a slack hour with some 1000 grit to see if this paint could be made presentable. take a look at the test patch!

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

A quick update for the record.
Seats stripped and off to be painted.
Original floor mats are in great condition and responding well to cleaning products.
Engine removed, pleased to say the engine bay is sound thanks to several layers of paint maybe. Aftermarket lever arm dampers are enormous, that a 19mm spanner in the picture, not a 10!

I also bought another project. Being a long time fan of Bob Shaills Steyr-VW, I couldn't resits the opportunity to work on this one from 1936.

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: July 1949 Standard.... not Deluxe Reply with quote

Engine turns out to be very good internally but a little too much end float. Looks like I have a heater box for a 36hp and another for the June 50 engine fitted. Am I right?

Last edited by sinclair on Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: