Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Thinking of buying a bare Bugatti kit car and was wondering if anyone had a pdf of the instructional manual. Seller has no idea of the manufacturer. I am wondering if this kit will fit on a stock VW pan or does the floor pan need to be shortened. Modified Model A rims drilled to fit the Wide 5 VW bolt pattern are included. Seller also has a pre 66 pan which needs floor new halves and a linkpin front beam with drums etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

You could scroll thru this list:

https://www.kitcarlinks.com/buildmanuals.htm

It may not contain the exact one you are looking for, but has good information. The fiberfab section should have some useful stuff for air cooled kit cars.
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Thanks, nothing related to a Bugatti kit car but some good general info. Judging by YouTube videos it appears the firewall is missing on the body. No seat or windshield frames either.

Last edited by bugman1955 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

usually with these the floorpan isn't shortened but the pedals, gear change and handbrake are moved back along the tunnel. basically you sit where the beetle rear seat was.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Oh ok, that makes sense. I'm guessing the body mount holes attach to the pan edge and a steel frame need to be built and attached to the pan to bolt on a fuel tank, seat, and to generally reinforce the body.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Don't know if you've seen these. But here's some inspiration.

Their from a local car show.
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Love the look with longer fenders and running boards. I've been checking out YouTube vids for more inspiration.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

these folks are playing with one over several videos, gives you an idea of frame and floor. meant to say before that the handbrake stays where it is and the gear lever is moved to be behind it. sometimes the handbrake is modified to be more vertical.

Link

y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

This has been for sale in Nor Cal for a while. There are some detailed pictures of the build. And he has what looks like the manual.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/35869317..._type=post
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Here's another local seller to me that says he has the instructions.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/34782331..._type=post
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Could be made by CMC -

http://coachbuilt.com/bui/c/classic_motor_carriages/classic_motor_carriages.htm
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

Ended up passing on this one. He had no title for the pan and it would have been a real pain trying to get one.
JIMDEERE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

I have one i just bought. I can measure and take pictures if it helps.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

JIMDEERE wrote:
I have one i just bought. I can measure and take pictures if it helps.

Pictures please!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

bugman1955 wrote:
Ended up passing on this one. He had no title for the pan and it would have been a real pain trying to get one.

If registering it is too much trouble then the build itself would have likely been far too much too! Good decision and I hope someone else with the enthusiasm and appropriate skills is now enjoying it!

I would LOVE to find something like that!

By the way, I had no idea there was a "title" system in Canada. Certainly not Western Canada but I am not that familiar with the East... on a car like that here you would take the bill of sale, proof of insurance and a safety inspection to the registry office and 15 minutes later - done!
flyin' blonde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

I

know this is pretty old post, did the OP ever find the instructions that were useable? I built one of these in the '80's, the kit actually came from Speedway Motors (yes that Speedway), I'm sure it was a copy of someone else's kit. I would use the term "kit" loosely, it basically just a body shell in a big crate, the plywood bottom was supposed to be used for the dash, firewall/foot box, and grill backing. It didn't include wiring, interior, windshield, but did include an angle iron seat frame (which I had to reinforce). The instructions included were pretty much worthless, the parts included in the kit didn't match the parts shown on the plans, but at least it gave some indication of the general assembly. If the OP is still interested I think I may have the instructions around here somewhere, but the car is long gone. I also used a '66 pan, thought about using the Model A wheels, but I ended up using adapters and some Ansen wire wheels I found at a swap meet. It turned into a much bigger project than I anticiapated, but I also moved 3 times and had two babies during the 7 year build. Of all of the cars I've ever owned this one turned the most heads, and was a blast to drive.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

FWIW: I have one that I bought a couple of years ago.

Sorry, but I do not have any manual or instructions whatsoever. Shocked

Mine is mounted on a '71 Karmann Ghia Chassis that was NOT shortened or narrowed that I can tell. It is titled and registered as a '71 KG.

Mine was supposedly built by Classic Motor Cars in Florida. I say supposedly built by them because the owner that I purchased it from told me that the guy he bought it from said that it was originally built as a "Factory Demonstrator". When I purchased it, it sure looked like the one in their brochure. However, I have made quite a few "minor" modifications. Rolling Eyes

Currently building a completely new 1776cc dual carb engine and installing Rack and Pinion steering. I am retired and "tinkering" is my main pastime Laughing !

FUN to work on and a HOOT to drive. Lots of attention at the car shows. Cool Cool

Even though I don't have any "official" instructions, I am happy to share any info (including in-process photos) that may be of help to anyone.

GOOD LUCK and STAY WELL!!

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

bugman1955 wrote:

the OP was looking at a kit for sale but opted out...so don't think he needs plans anymore

texastomeh - I would think the floorpans would have been modified or replaced, especially kg ones

flyin' blonde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

A large portion of the floor pan on mine was removed, and reinforced with 2.5 x 2.5 angle iron. The pan shape needs to fit the tapered body, basically it gets cut in a straght line from the back corner by the rear torsion housing, to the end of the front bulkhead behind the front frame horn. My instructions had a hand drawn sketch drawn with a sharpie with no dimensions, so I set the body on the pan just to verify the cut line was correct.
Since the pan isn't a perfectly flat surface its a little tricky to attach the angles, I welded them to the front and rear bulkhead and along the cut where I could, and pop riveted where I couldn't weld.
Using a KG pan would be the same drill. This was for my particular kit, I'm not sure what the other brand kits did, but I suspect something similar.
Right now I'm working on a vw based TD replica, I didn't build it, but I have the instructions and noticed a similar thing was required.
This was my first kit car build, and the most challenging. But it was a great learning experience, I learned a lot about fiberglassing, and spent endless hours designing, searching wrecking yards for parts, etc.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Bugatti kit car instructions/manual Reply with quote

did you find the front end a bit light on the bugatti? I had a madison in the 80s and used to carry heavy blocks up front.

the TD is a nice kit, I could fancy one of those...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: