Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverting back to a 1500
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

My 69 with solid deck lid has a replacement 1600 SP. Sometimes it gets fairly nitpicky esp in summer, this is probably due to lack of cooling air since when VW went to the 1600 in 1970 they started putting vents in the deck lid. I don't want to change the deck lid to a 70 model I like the 69 solid deck lid look. Any way to induct more air into the engine bay without the "tennis ball" trick etc? Or do I just need to go back to a 1500?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

You can cut a 2" hole in the firewall tin above the bellhousing on the opposite side of the oil cooler exhaust would be on a doghouse setup. this will let in additional air, and you can do it to an aftermarket piece of tin to avoid modifying an OEM piece. I've seen this done with some mesh to prevent leaves and debris from coming in. If you do it right it will be not noticeable unless you go out of your way to look for it.

Another option is to cut some holes under the license plate, but I'm assuming you're not open to modifying the decklid. I have a spare later lid I'm going to cut for some added air on my 1776 in my 73 super, but I also run IDFs and 9-1 compression, and have 110 degree California summers to play with while commuting to work in heavy traffic Very Happy

Are you still running the inline oil cooler, or the 71 and later doghouse style? If not I would suggest swapping to the later shroud, I can't remember what you run. I really like the doghouse setup on a single port.

Personally the hole in the firewall tin may be the most "stealth" solution, and if you run a doghouse shroud should work fairly well.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

I had a friend put 6 1 1/4" holes behind the license plate, the holes could not be seen. He had then punch thru with a press, with a radius edge. It worked for him, his engine ran much cooler after that was done. I think it was 1971 or 72, Volkswagen installed a vent door behind the license plate.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Thanks -
Lingwendil I am running non-doghouse inline oil cooler setup, but I am not adverse to switching to the doghouse shroud & cooler.
I guess I'd be cutting a hole right where the pill--shaped indent is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What is that indentation for anyway?
Yes I'd prefer to not modify the deck lid - if that were the case I'd probably just go ahead and get a 70 deck lid.

1600 SP engine
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

I think the indentation is just for stiffening, i bet cutting out that inner shape of the stamping may work.

If you have a source for the stock doghouse and the associated bits its a great upgrade with literally zero downsides, if you were local I'd give you one of the several taking up space in my garage Very Happy

We converted to the doghouse setup on the rebuilt 1600 that was in my ex's 69 manual, and it dropped the oil temp 15-20 degrees without doing anything else.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I think the indentation is just for stiffening, i bet cutting out that inner shape of the stamping may work.

If you have a source for the stock doghouse and the associated bits its a great upgrade with literally zero downsides, if you were local I'd give you one of the several taking up space in my garage Very Happy

We converted to the doghouse setup on the rebuilt 1600 that was in my ex's 69 manual, and it dropped the oil temp 15-20 degrees without doing anything else.

That sounds like a good plan, thanks! Would I need a block off plate for the current oil cooler location? Anything else I would need?

1600 SP engine
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

you need the fan shroud, the bigger matching late fan, the two oil cooler exhaust tin pieces, the oil cooler itself, the offset adapter mount for the cooler, and the oil cooler conversion seals.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
you need the fan shroud, the bigger matching late fan, the two oil cooler exhaust tin pieces, the oil cooler itself, the offset adapter mount for the cooler, and the oil cooler conversion seals.

Perfect thanks for that info!
(Also the doghouse style fan shroud thermostat flaps rod, since it now needs to clear the oil cooler exhaust pieces?)

1600 SP engine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

The doghouse shroud & larger fan were the reason for the additional deck lid vents. Installing these without additional fresh air intake vents causes overheating and/or air starvation (intake & cooling) at higher RPM. Pulling air from the firewall side of the tin, where the doghouse shroud is dumping preheated air is not ideal either.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The doghouse shroud & larger fan were the reason for the additional deck lid vents. Installing these without additional fresh air intake vents causes overheating and/or air starvation (intake & cooling) at higher RPM. Pulling air from the firewall side of the tin, where the doghouse shroud is dumping preheated air is not ideal either.

So revert back to a 1500 is what you're saying ? Wink

Or if I kept everything as is but cut a hole in my current non-doghouse shroud?

1600 SP engine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

The 1600, the doghouse shroud, & the extra fresh air vents were all improvements & natural progressions, designed by engineers at VW to make their product better.

The only real difference between the 1500 & the 1600, was piston diameter, so changing from one to the other, doesn’t really accomplish anything. Getting the oil cooler out of the flow of cooling air to #3 & #4 did a lot in the reliability. This requires the larger fan, which in turn, requires more air flow into the engine compartment.

Perhaps you could source a louvered deck lid, or smooth deck lid that you don’t mind modifying, paint to match & swap it back to original as you desire.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The 1600, the doghouse shroud, & the extra fresh air vents were all improvements & natural progressions, designed by engineers at VW to make their product better.

The only real difference between the 1500 & the 1600, was piston diameter, so changing from one to the other, doesn’t really accomplish anything. Getting the oil cooler out of the flow of cooling air to #3 & #4 did a lot in the reliability. This requires the larger fan, which in turn, requires more air flow into the engine compartment.

Perhaps you could source a louvered deck lid, or smooth deck lid that you don’t mind modifying, paint to match & swap it back to original as you desire.

I get what you're saying about evolving design & I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I mean, at some point around 1967, VW engineers had to have sat down and said OK we are still OK to run a 1500 under a solid deck lid. If engine size doesn't make a difference then EVERY stock VW bug before 1970 is going to overheat from design!
Plus they still ran a single port, non doghouse 1600 in 70/71, and the only addition as far as I'm aware are the two cooling vents in the decklid. So it sure seems like there could be a way to keep my setup as is if there was a way to introduce additional cooling into the engine bay other than the vented deck lid.

1600 SP engine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Engine lid standoffs https://www.jbugs.com/product/9141.html

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Engine lid standoffs https://www.jbugs.com/product/9141.html

Thx- I was aware of those but I'm just not a fan of that look- basically I want to keep it looking exactly the way it did when my folks drove it off the lot in 1969. Underneath that, I don't mind making some mods if it's for the benefit of reliability.

So my question is, if VW engineers were OK with running a 1500 under a solid deck lid, but not a 1600, is there ANY option for me to keep the stock deck lid, AND keep it closed normally, AND not overheat the engine, other than going back to a 1500? Considering the number of pre-1600 engines that had to be replaced with 1600s over the years since eventually it was the only option, I'm really surprised someone hasn't asked the same question or figured out a way to do this.

I like the idea of cutting a hole in the front tin, but being on the complete opposite side of the engine bay from the 1600's vented deck lid does make me wonder if it would really make a difference. (The VW engineers must have chosen that particular solution for a reason.)

1600 SP engine
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Is this your current engine in your car? Or at least the fan shroud that you are running?

If so. It already appears that you have a doghouse fan shroud.
Is there an oil cooler in the doghouse?

Answer these two questions, and we can talk further on ducting your oil cooler effluent (exhaust) out of the engine compartment.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

If you plan on hammering the car on the freeway then you need to do something.

But if you drive it sedately it won't be a problem. Given that it is a 53 year old car, it probably deserves to be driven like this.

I would first start with ensuring that all the cooling systems is correct. Hoses in place, fan belt not slipping, pulley the correct size, tins in place, engine seals in place etc.

There is an argument that a slight increase in piston size means more horsepower but does not necessarily mean more heat if the engine is not labouring as much. It is a fine balance.

I have upgraded my 1500 to 1600 and have no intention of changing the decklid. I'm like you, car bought by my father since new and I don't want to change it. If I could have found 1500 pistons I would have used those but they basically are unobtanium.

I have concentrated on getting all the other things right but then again I will not drive it too hard more out of caution that it is so fragile in an accident even against the cheapest and much heavier mini-cars of today not to mention the behemoths that are now racing around on our streets.

I would at least get one of the dipstick mounted temperature probes to see if you even have a problem!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Is this your current engine in your car? Or at least the fan shroud that you are running?

If so. It already appears that you have a doghouse fan shroud.
Is there an oil cooler in the doghouse?

Answer these two questions, and we can talk further on ducting your oil cooler effluent (exhaust) out of the engine compartment.

Not mine, just a picture I borrowed.
Mine is a 1600 SP with non-doghouse shroud & inline oil cooler (exactly what a stock 1970-71 would have had.)

1600 SP engine
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

I doubt going back to a 1500 would achieve anything. I have run a 1641 in my 1968 Beetle with all stock cooler and tinware without overheating issues for over 30 years. I do have an oil temp gauge to monitor
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

Then a 1500 vs 1600 really won't make a difference.
Plus finding 1500 pistons are nearly impossible.

I'm running a 1600 SP in my 67. It get's a little hot on excessive heat days here.
You have more hot days than we do here.
A month ago, on a 90°f evening, I was seeing 220°+ on the temp gauge.
This was crossing over a rather steep hill range in the way to a race track.

While racing, yes with the mighty 1600sp. I never saw engine temps over 210°.

Last weekend, I took the same route to the race track on another 90°F evening.
This time the engine ran at 210° over the hill range.
The difference? The tennis ball under the decklid latch.
I get that you don't like the idea. But it does work.

The only way you are going to get the engine to cool better is to, run a later decklid, add ventilation behind your license plate, run stand offs, or add a oil cooler under the car. Not my favorite idea for a stock bodied beetle.
Oh yeah, forgot one, vent the rear firewall tin as suggested above.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help. But I feel you pain on the engine heat issue.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting back to a 1500 Reply with quote

If you're running an OEM generator/pulley and an OEM crank pulley this might be an inexpensive experiment.

I use a Dayco GPL Premiuum V-belt # L335 (9RL890) as my fan belt. It rides the very bottom of my generator pulley groove spinning my generator and fan a little faster.

My generator produces sooner while my fan pushes a little more air. Nothing dramatic but I feel it helps with cooling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: