Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Like a Lion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

I recently installed a new transmission into my 78 and also removed my heater boxes and fan. Silly me didn't label the wires and now my van will not run. Seems to be getting no fuel. Wires are all there but not hooked up now.
The question:
Did I mess up by removing the fan? is the circuit not complete?
Can someone provide a coil wiring diagram so I can get this back together? Crying or Very sad
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

Welcome!

The power wire to the coil (Black, #15) comes from the fan harness, as does the green/blue oil pressure wire, better get digging and find them.

Diagram here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg , and key here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78_key.jpg

Coil wiring is current track #68, oil switch #40.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

Sent you a pm if you need pictures of a 78 engine compartment wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

Does the motor have to be running to operate the fan?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Does the motor have to be running to operate the fan?

Not after 75, but the OP's problem seems to be hacking out a little too much extra stuff and deleting the coil power wire in the process.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Like a Lion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

I am able to start the van and fuel pump has power if I had of open the AFM with my finger. But not when I just have the key on. What am I missing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Like a Lion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

I have next to no wiring experience and it shows.
Can anyone tell me where these need to go?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

Black coming from right goes on coil #15, blue/black(?) connects to oil pressure switch, black coming from left with a white rectangle on the end should go to coil #15 as well (not sure what it's connected to now). Green in middle from distributor goes to coil #1 as well as that white one in the light colored sleeve coming from the right.
No idea on the yellow wire, VW didn't do that.

The fuel pump should only run when the engine is turning, it's not like modern systems that run the pump when you turn on the key. It's activated by the starter circuit, or the AFM flap, if the flap isn't keeping it powered once it's running there's likely a big vacuum leak somewhere and not enough suck to keep the flap open.

Слава Україні!
Like a Lion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

The yellow goes down behind the distributor. I think that is the oil pressure switch?
There is also a green wire that's very short on the front side under the distributor that is not hooked up.
Thanks for you last post. It was really helpful
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

Does your bus have a tach installed?
I'd guess one of the PO wires is that. Chase down the other end..........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

The oil switch had a short jumper lead on it from the factory, usually green or blue, sounds like what you say is down under the distributor. Follow the yellow (and the other) wire and see where they go, maybe it has a temp sensor buried in there somewhere?

Слава Україні!
Like a Lion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

No tach on this one. I'll follow these and see exactly where they go. Thanks
Like a Lion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Bus Wiring help. Coil wiring and removed fan. Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you who pitched in here. Van starts now and the coil is wired up correctly. Much appreciated.
Now just to solve why it won't idle hahahahah
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: