Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that?

It's a pita to scrape off.

Looks like it's in the threads too...grrr

What thread is the plug just in case I have to chase the threads?

What gasket is best on the rain plug?

I don't know these things because I'm a Subi guy working on a friend's WBX.

Thanks

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

it was likely part of a HeliCoil install. the red schmoo that leaked past should be hardened and maybe is evening out the HeliCoil to block interface. i'd leave it after determining there's a HeliCoil in there.

i like the nylon gaskets... seal up with minimal torque on the said threads.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Its possible it was used as a thread restorer and that problems await down the road.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Well this buggered oil plug may be a reason.

I didn't find a gasket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

No helicoil

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

I didn't find a gasket.

Looks like that plug was removed with a chisel at some point in time. Scary that someone reused it, especially without a gasket. I think the plugs are just 14mm threads, don't remember the pitch but it is common.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

I use a copper crush ring from the FLAPS and torque wrench.

Your plug looks boogered, but you could try a new one with new crush ring and pour in half a quart to see if it leaks before taking it further.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

I didn't find a gasket.

Looks like that plug was removed with a chisel at some point in time. Scary that someone reused it, especially without a gasket. I think the plugs are just 14mm threads, don't remember the pitch but it is common.

Re chisel.... If you look at the other plug picture, it looks like they put it in a vice or vice grip maybe thinking that surface was an old crush washer.

I first thought that too from a similar experience on my motorcycle with a PO frozen/crushed alum washer.

But not the case here though. This is the seating surface... Interesting of the bimetal construction (copper spacer). You can barely see the internal of the engine side that has different metal in the middle. It's not magnetic.... Curious -What's the reason for this bimetal?

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Look closer guys, the gasket is there and squeezed between the thread repair coil and the drain plug.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Heli-Coils don't need threadlocker when installed properly but that can go south easily with poor drilling or tapping.

the red loctite may have been an attempt at fixing one that was buggered up or they may have installed one with red loctite and got oil on the case threads rendering the loctite useless and loctite on the plug, making it one with the insert.

get a new drain plug and a new identical insert of what ever type it was, clean all the oil off which is no small feat given the perpetual drip, and insert a new insert. might even want to red loctite it in. you might be a lucky dog!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1344190

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Look closer guys, the gasket is there and squeezed between the thread repair coil and the drain plug.

Dave

Nice Dave!....the only one to beat you in time was tencent himself that sent me a direct message (both being from NM I got the locals treatment, SO lucky to have him as a resource)

So this is how I solved it:

The insert with attracted plug became the plug. Found a 18mm fiber washer for oil plugs. Had to grind down the outer diameter to fit in the WBX recessed hole.

No leaks so far! (And yes, I put oil in it 😋)

They had a 18mm oil plug with the same threads as the insert but it had a 17 hex and the sealing flange was super wide so would have taken tons of grinding. I was glad to find it as it led me to finding the unique fiber washer.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

I’ve abandoned Loctite products in protesting the marketing genius who decided to put loctite Blue into a red tube.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

My case came with a buggered drain plug.

I ordered an 18mmx1.5 plug from Bellmetric.

I also sourced a tap and a tap drill.

The plug fits perfectly into the oil plug recess with no modifications.
Cut and paste from my build thread .........

"Mr. Mailman brought me a 21/32” drill bit!

Yay!
Now I can fix that darn crap home made drain plug! Even with the engine oil drained, it just drips constantly! 18 x 1.5 mm drain plug.

I actually added a bit of oil to flush the chips out as I drilled and tapped. I can take credit for this mess.

Used my 18 x 1.5 mm tap and cut some new threads........

Don't have a large tap holder here so vise grips did the job.

Screwed in the new drain plug...... PERFECT fit! There is no space for another buggered drain plug repair!
That circular area is all drain plug now.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Dave, where do you get the 18mm drain washers narrow enough to fit in the recess?

I felt really lucky finding the 18mm fiber one but it needed the outside diameter ground down. I'd like to get my friend a handful of spares to have on hand for whoever changes her oil in the future.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Dave, where do you get the 18mm drain washers narrow enough to fit in the recess?

I felt really lucky finding the 18mm fiber one but it needed the outside diameter ground down. I'd like to get my friend a handful of spares to have on hand for whoever changes her oil in the future.
Try McMaster-Carr, they might have some crush washers that narrow. Will one of these work.

https://www.mcmaster.com/crush-washers/system-of-measurement~metric/od~17-9-mm/
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Actually they weren't hard to locate.
Both Bellmetric and McMaster-Carr are sources.

I experienced drips with my early tries with solid materials (copper, aluminum and fiber) and now use a rubber ORing.

Being recessed into the plug area, the Oring dies not bulge out from under the plug lip.

Orings are sold by number. I'd need to see what number I used.
I'm due fir an oil change, I post here what Oring size I use.

You can also get metal washers with a rubber seal, but I don't think they woukd fit in the recess.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

Dave, the O-Ring idea is a good solution. Looking forward to hearing the info on what you have/find.

Happy to report the fiber washer fix is still working well and dry this morning.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

i wonder if it wasnt red loctite (in the threadlocker sense) but rather this red loctite 518

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/gasketing-sealants/loctite_518.html

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Red Locktite around oil drain plug . Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

If the proper washers do not work, then likely the drilled hole was not correctly perpendicular to the sealing surface. Without a properly machined channel for the o-ring, I'm not sure how you can torque the drain plug tight enough to ensure it won't fall out from vibration without ruining the oring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: