Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Av8ferg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

#Bad Talk Brick wall Brick wall So, I came into ownership of a 1965 VW Ragtop (chasis #115793026) about 10 years ago after I dropped off my 1966 Beetle (been in my family since 1982) in for restoration work while I went on deployment with the USMC. I paid in advance and when I returned from the 7 month deployment the guy illegally sold my car and then tried to deny it to the police. Long story short after I threatened legal action he agreed to give me his 1965 bug in exchange that he had in his VW yard that he said he had fully restored the body. The guy had about 20 bugs in his field (Edenton, NC). The problem is when it arrived off the truck to my house it was without an engine. I didn't press the issue because the guy was a flake and it was more work than it was worth at the time. The car had a frame off restoration and is in nice shape and been sitting in my barn for 10 years.
I'm ready to get this car back on the road and need an engine. The question for the pros in this forum is how should I proceed.
1. I can by a not running 1200 cc engine that matches this year (will need complete overhaul) for $250.
2. Buy a turn key 1600cc dual port Gex or other vendor (+$2,000)
3. Find a used 1600 cc engine on ebay or Craigslist

I'd prefer to make the car as stock as possible but not sure if putting a 1200cc engine is a good idea (I heard parts are hard to find on those 1200cc engines). A 1600 would make a better driver but how does it hurt the value after restoring?
Looking for advice before dropping a bunch of coin and regretting my decision later.
Thanks for helping a newbie
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Maybe post up some pics of the car. A couple of things aren’t making sense such as a 65 having a ragtop. Cloth sunroofs were discontinued in the US in 63, so either the year is incorrect, it had a sunroof section grafted on or its a Euro model making it a bit rare here.

Regarding an engine, I have no direct experience but there are pages of bad feedback on GEX. I would run from them like the plague.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

I'd try to find a 1600 on CL for a decent price to get the car on the road so you can drive and enjoy it, the bigger engine will help it keep up with modern traffic too. If you can afford to go ahead and pick up that correct 1200 motor as well, and eventually rebuild it. That way you'll have an extra engine waiting in the wings, and you can also throw it in to sweeten the deal should you decide to sell it.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Av8ferg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

I like the idea of getting two engines and keeping the 1200 in the wings and rebuild it at my leisure. Thanks for the GEX warning. They aren't chap either.

As far as the ragtop? Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be modified but I haven't honestly looked that close. I thought they made them up to 1967. I know the chassis number is correct. See attached pic. I'm away for work but will post pics when I get back home of the car as it sits now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Does the vin tag in the trunk match? Could have also been a body swap. Pics will help as there were some changes that are clearly visible starting in 65 such as bigger windows and slanted vent window channels.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Av8ferg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Wow, didn't know there was a number in the engine compartment. I know the chassis was removed from the frame because it hasn't been fully reattached. Front brackets under hood area are not attached. It looks like I need to get some pics on here when I get home. Thanks again.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Av8ferg wrote:
Wow, didn't know there was a number in the engine compartment.

Trunk is a place you can store luggage, in the type 1s it is up front opposite from other end that the engine compartment is in.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

a nice 1200 can be a good motor, you can put in a big bore piston kit to up it without exterior changes. a stock 1600 dual port will appear different, and the later dog house style fan house is highly recommended for the bigger 1600 motor, if you do go with the bigger and better fan, you either shpjld prop the motor lid open a bit or add loubers on the motor lid to allow enough air in, for at high speeds under load, without extra ventalation, the motor bay draws a vacuum with the big fan, competing for air with the carb, so the carb gets choked. proping the lid a half inch at bottom solved this issue for me in my 61 Bug with a 74 motor with big fan system. note VW did add louvers to the lid for the bigger fanned motors.

for stock, a 1200 cc based motor with bigger pistons can be a jice option, remain stock looking yet have more umph.
(ps yes GEX has bad reputation)

good luck and thanks for your service! Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Av8ferg wrote:
I know the chassis was removed from the frame because it hasn't been fully reattached. Front brackets under hood area are not attached.

That could simply be a matter of somebody removing or replacing the front suspension beam. Check under the back seat where the body seals to the pan, and along the pan rails underneath the car for loose/missing fasteners.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Before I sold it, I put a big bore (1385cc) kit on my 1200, and also a doghouse fan shroud. It looked stock; the doghouse is hidden behind the shroud so you have to really look to tell it isn't stock. Ran great and cool!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Av8ferg wrote:
Wow, didn't know there was a number in the engine compartment. I know the chassis was removed from the frame because it hasn't been fully reattached. Front brackets under hood area are not attached. It looks like I need to get some pics on here when I get home. Thanks again.

Which points to a body swap IMO. Cant go much farther without pics.
Av8ferg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Thanks Gent, when I get home from my work trip I’ll get some pics posted. Maybe you all can tell me if this it worth the continued investment. If it’s a Frankenstein then maybe it’s not worth it, I don’t know.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Av8ferg wrote:
#Bad Talk Brick wall Brick wall So, I came into ownership of a 1965 VW Ragtop (chasis #115793026) about 10 years ago after I dropped off my 1966 Beetle (been in my family since 1982) in for restoration work while I went on deployment with the USMC. I paid in advance and when I returned from the 7 month deployment the guy illegally sold my car and then tried to deny it to the police. Long story short after I threatened legal action he agreed to give me his 1965 bug in exchange that he had in his VW yard that he said he had fully restored the body. The guy had about 20 bugs in his field (Edenton, NC). The problem is when it arrived off the truck to my house it was without an engine. I didn't press the issue because the guy was a flake and it was more work than it was worth at the time. The car had a frame off restoration and is in nice shape and been sitting in my barn for 10 years.
I'm ready to get this car back on the road and need an engine. The question for the pros in this forum is how should I proceed.
1. I can by a not running 1200 cc engine that matches this year (will need complete overhaul) for $250.
2. Buy a turn key 1600cc dual port Gex or other vendor (+$2,000)
3. Find a used 1600 cc engine on ebay or Craigslist

I'd prefer to make the car as stock as possible but not sure if putting a 1200cc engine is a good idea (I heard parts are hard to find on those 1200cc engines). A 1600 would make a better driver but how does it hurt the value after restoring?
Looking for advice before dropping a bunch of coin and regretting my decision later.
Thanks for helping a newbie

OK, you say you have a 65 115 ? A 65 115 is a standard model with a ragtop sunroof and the engine is a 36 HP fresh air 1200.
As far as restoring. Restoring means everything stock just like the factory made it. Adding a 1600 would be modifying the car which would make a Antique car into a modified car. Some people like to call those cars a resto-mod. Just the same it's a modified car. Antique insurance people's first question when insuring is...is it modified? has the engine been changed?
115's with a factory stock 36 HP is pretty rare these days and worth something to a collector in original restored condition.
I have a stock matching numbers type 111 and it keeps going up and up. Parts for the engine are not hard to find for the 36hp, and my 64 113 with a 40hp I have no problem finding parts either.
Lets see some pictures of the car, especially the inside and the engine. A 115 should have NO seat tracks in the pan- claw and wingnut fastener to stud instead, a 3/4 only headliner, A three spoke steering wheel, no chrome on the dash, driver only sun visor, a kilometer speedometer, No gas gauge, but a reserve lever for the fuel tank. manual dome lamp. 63 style lic. plate lamp. no chrome around outside windows except front doors, no chrome on the running board. The engine should look like mine click on link below;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516081.jpg
A friends 1966 115 first year for the 40hp and seats with seat tracks. Notice the first year for the 1200 sign on the rear deck lid...and still using the smaller lic. plate lamp.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/511658.jpg
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Very cool info. Sounds like I’m wrong.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Helfen... I do believe that starting in 1965 ALL beetles had the 11X prefix. As in 115607997 is a 1965 sedan but 155405578 is a '65 convertible. I don't think you can tell if it was a standard by the vin. This 11X Prefix continued then on in all beetle production in Germany.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Helfen... I do believe that starting in 1965 ALL beetles had the 11X prefix. As in 115607997 is a 1965 sedan but 155405578 is a '65 convertible. I don't think you can tell if it was a standard by the vin. This 11X Prefix continued then on in all beetle production in Germany.

You are correct in the 115 in the beginning of the vin# being a 1965. My assumption was the car was a 65 and a ragtop sunroof or a 115.
The test if it's a 115 would be if it had the stud / claw /wingnut hold down for the seats and a 1200 36hp fresh air engine. If that car has seat tracks, the sunroof was bastardized in.
kbman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

As one who has Driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 1965 type 1 with the 1200 40hp engine, I would have no problem putting a 1200 40hp in the car. On the flat you can keep up with traffic ( a little over 80 mph) and you can still find all the parts for this engine. The down side to this engine is hill climbing and getting up to freeway speeds on short on ramps. On long up hill 6% grades you will be down in 2nd gear. So the point is if you live in the mountains of NC. go with the 1600. To do that you either have switch the trans out to 67 or latter or grind out opening of 65 trans bellhousing to fit the larger flywheel.
Av8ferg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

Hey guys, it been some years some posting about this car.
I’m looking for advice. Trying to determine if this car is worth bring back to life or will it be cost prohibitive. Went to see the car today in my parents barn. They have sold the property and the car has to go and my mother has given me 90 days to get it out of there.
It’s confirmed a 1965 model year. I also confirmed that the rag top roof is original and not been welded in.
It needs an engine, front hood and rear deck lids as well as fenders and a fuel tank. It needs most of the bit and pieces to include the steering wheel. The paint is good and there is no visible rust. Paint has never seen the sun and once cleaned up would be nice. The interior rug and seats look good.

[

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

It’s going to cost a small fortune to get it together. And no offense, but if nothing has been done to it in the last 5 years, seems unlikely anything will be done in the next 5. Sell it on to someone with the time and drive to get it back on the road. Looks like a solid shell, but you’re literally missing everything it appears.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for advice on my 1965 beetle ragtop Reply with quote

That body is a '64, not a '65, by the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: