Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

I bought this car last year knowing it had a tattoo from a few POs ago.
** Note to the new KG owners out there - please don't paint your initials on your car**

Its paint not a decal.
Its under the clear coat I believe. Looks like PO did a restoration including a repaint about 10 yrs ago including adding his name.

Yes - I can do a full sand and repaint but I can't do that myself (no facilities nor interest) and that will cost $20k. That would also fix two minor rust spots I have under one door and the usual paint nicks. The car is only worth $20k so not a great ROI.

My wife's idea is to take some matching paint and nimbly paint Red over the black lettering. Not perfect but will block the tattoo to the casual viewer.
I'm not a fan of that idea but I like the ROI - low cost and would cover 80% of the tattoo. I could then wait a few years for the rust + paint to get worse and then justify the $20k job.

Any other suggestions? Thx
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ghiamanjc on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

Oh my!

Not all bad. A good panelbeater can sand and repaint that panel for under $500 and feather the new paint in so that you won't notice the difference.

Here where I live anyway.

Good luck with your acquisition.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

I agree with Chris and I fear you are over thinking it. Take it to a paint and panel shop and make them worry about the details. You just tell them what result you want and they can get on with it. Don't skimp on paying for quality paint.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

If it can't be fixed with paint, my first thought was slap some Mobilgas horse logos on it as I've seen that on other vehicles

Like this but just the horse cutout

I believe they are sold as stickers or magnets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

I would just very carefully sand letters lightly taking my time, not a perfect result but with a bunch of rubbing might be an improvement.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

Take the opportunity to learn new skills, and do it yourself! $500 will buy you plenty of nifty tools. The tools and know-how will be your forever. The leftover paint might be nice to have too.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

Change your nicknames to match?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

sand it, blend in paint, clear from front windshield forward.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

It would be strange for that to be cleared over instead of pinstriped on top of the clear but stranger things have happened. To test put a little lacquer thinner on a cloth and rub the letters a little. If single stage on the top a little of the black will come off and it shouldn't hurt the clear unless you really go at it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

Personally, I’d start with a bit of acetone on a soft rag. Test it on the base coat in an inconspicuous place to see if it reacts with the red. If not, gently rub over the script to see if it starts to lift it.

If that doesn’t work, oven cleaner is known to remove certain paints without damaging automotive paint. There again, test it in an inconspicuous place first.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

That would be like 1k to sand paint then blend in expensive California.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Change your nicknames to match?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

You might want this moved top the paint/body forum... just ask.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Personally, I’d start with a bit of acetone on a soft rag. Test it on the base coat in an inconspicuous place to see if it reacts with the red. If not, gently rub over the script to see if it starts to lift it.

If that doesn’t work, oven cleaner is known to remove certain paints without damaging automotive paint. There again, test it in an inconspicuous place first.

This is the best advice so far.
If it’s just single stage over the clear it’s easy, 1500 it off and buff.
If it’s under the clear then someone will have to scuff the fender from the A pillar forward to the headlight bucket from the lower fender up to the ridge at the top of the fender, fading out under the headlight and then shoot that area with color then clear then hope they can blend in the clear nicely on the ridge and in the transition under the headlight. And yeah, a shop isn’t going to be cheap if you can find one that’s willing to even mess with it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo - Final Update Reply with quote

So... I took Ruby to a local body shop that was recommended.

They too off the tattoo with GunWash but that left a shadow (see pic).
So they had to sand and re-paint just the quarter panel and blend in the colour then clear coat (pic).

Turned out very good with the tattoo completely gone. There is just a very slight ridge of paint along the 'top crease' of the quarter panel. I can live with that.

I'd say a pretty good job for $1200 US. Another shop suggested I restore the whole car (paint off, new steel as appropriate and repaint) for $30k. I'm happy with my choice. Thanks for your advice !!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

Why is it still visible after paint?
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: *Need advice* How to remove a paint tatoo Reply with quote

It not any longer. I'll post an 'all done pic'. That shadow remained after the GunWash wipe then they sanded and repainted. All good now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: