Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit Reply with quote

into the clip attachment.

Can someone send a photo?

with the base at the top and the jack mechanism at the base the clip is too far over to fully depress and lock the clip.

To pull it over it feels like it will break.

Thanks for any and all info
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Perhaps this pic from the owner's manual might help.
User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wayne.....

I don't have one yet.

That photo helps.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. The Samba technical section has these manuals for downloading. The manuals really are a great source of information and photos.
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit Reply with quote

I have the same problem as User from 2013. Iīve also referred to the manual page above, but that hasnīt solved the problem. Photos show the jack in place, but I literally donīt have the strength to pull the clip hard enough to lock it.

Also, my jack -- original to my 1965 beetle -- appears to be longer than the one in the manual page above, and in my copy of the manual (see pics). The stem seems too thick to fit into the bracket, and, likewise, the band on the clip does not seem long enough to actually lock around the jack. The angle also seems off, if the jack is really meant to fit in the clip.

Note that the clip isnīt locked in the top photo, and the jackīs just slightly out of place in the lower one, which is meant to show that the clip band seems too short to go around the jack stem, and the stem that seems to wide to slot into the fixed part of the clip.

Itīs been decades since the jackīs been in place (Iīve owned the car for almost its entire life) but now Iīm wondering if it was ever clipped in properly. Iīd like to clip it in place now, as Iīm a little more leery about having chunks of metal loose in the trunk than I once was, and Iīm also actually using the trunk more now.

Using a tool to force the clip seems imprudent on the face of it -- I really, really donīt want to damage either the clip or the trunk -- but what am I missing here? Is enormous force required?

Does the Samba community have any advice? It would be much appreciated! Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit Reply with quote

Take a look at the car manual pic. Notice the the jack shaft when in the storage clip. Rests past the bumper support bracket.
Yours appears to be resting on top of the support bracket.

Also in the car manual pic, the jacking mechanism is completely bottomed out on the jack shaft.
Yours should be too. If not, the jack will not slip into the storage clip.
The jack foot is contacting the inner fender.

As a recommendation, clean the jacking mechanism with some WD-40.
It will look better and work better when you need to use it in an emergency situation.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit Reply with quote

Thanks, 67rustavenger! I didnīt look carefully enough at the jack placement -- lesson taken.

And thanks, too, for the tip about cleaning the mechanism with WD-40. My bug was in storage for a while, and Iīm just getting around to the small details now. (Not small if thereīs a problem, of course!)

I couldnīt get the mechanism to bottom out further, but Iīm guessing your recommendation to clear the jack will take care of that.

Thanks again -- I really appreciate the assistance to a newcomer!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit Reply with quote

Volksfolken wrote:
Thanks, 67rustavenger! I didnīt look carefully enough at the jack placement -- lesson taken.

And thanks, too, for the tip about cleaning the mechanism with WD-40. My bug was in storage for a while, and Iīm just getting around to the small details now. (Not small if thereīs a problem, of course!)

I couldnīt get the mechanism to bottom out further, but Iīm guessing your recommendation to clear the jack will take care of that.

Thanks again -- I really appreciate the assistance to a newcomer!

There is no hierarchy here. We make an effort to help where we can.

I suck at electrical, where others soar.
I like mechanical puzzles. They present a challenge to me. And I like solving those puzzles. To a certain degree. Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with my new tire jack. Doesn't seem to fit Reply with quote

Got a chance this weekend to take your advice. The jack is now working very smoothly, including dropping that last inch, and fits perfectly into the clip. Adding the photo for the next novice down the pike!

Love the kindness for even the most basic questions on The Samba!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: