Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

axle ratio
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: axle ratio Reply with quote

OK all you transaxle gurus, I have question. Im trying to determine my axle ratio without a lot of disassembly to count teeth. I have a '67 swing axle setup in my sand rail. I jacked up the left rear tire, got my crank pulley at TDC, put the trans in 2nd gear & marked the tire w/paint stick. I turned the crank pulley until the tire made 1 revolution while counting the number of turns the crank pulley turned and came up with approx. 4 3/4 turns. this makes no sense to me as it doesn't match with any chart or post I have been able to find on this subject. It is almost half the revs that I have been finding. So what is my ratio or what am I missing here? TIA
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

I don't have your answer but shouldn't your tire circumference be part of the equation? Maybe that's what is throwing off your calculation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

You need to have both wheels in the air, and both turning in the same direction. You need to count the revolutions of the differential only. With only one wheel moving, you are also entering in the ratio of the differential side gears/spider gears. With the transaxle in 2nd gear, 8.5 crank revolutions will turn both tires in the same direction once if you have a 4.12 r&p from a 67.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Racer Dave said to do it exactly as I did but he came up with different revolutions. Something is getting lost in the math here I think.

Last edited by vdubrookie on Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Troop, regardless of the tire diameter the shaft s only making 1 revolution.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

4.75x2(differential)/2.06(second gear)=4.6 final drive ratio

Common 4.125 final drive would be 4.25 engine revs

Assuming second actually is 2.06...and it usually is, but what if it isn't?

Do all the gears then maybe it will make more sense.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

vdubrookie wrote:
Racer Dave said to do it exactly as I did but he came up with different revolutions. Something is getting lost in the math here I think.

The instructions he gave in that other thread said to rotate the tire two revolutions, not just one. That's why you're getting roughly half the number of crankshaft revs than what he listed.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Quote:
put the trans in 4th gear. I turned the engine 2 1/2 revolutions to get the tire to turn 1 revolution approximately

wow that's not stock! congratulations! some special gears in there

Last edited by modok on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

The instructions he gave in that other thread said to rotate the tire two revolutions,

yeah, good idea, do that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
If you are happy with the way it works, then don't take it apart. You can find out what gears you have by counting turns of the input shaft and the drive flange/axle. This is assuming you have stock 1st/2nd gears.

Put your clutch disc on the tranny input shaft. Put a piece of tape on it as a reference mark. If tranny is on the floor, lock one side axle with vice grips or any other clamp so only one axle turns when you spin the input shaft.

To determine what Ring & Pinion you have, put the trans into 2nd gear and count the number of turns you spin the input shaft (clutch disc) to get the drive axle to turn one complete turn. Use a piece of tape or marker to get a reference point.
3.875 R&P will take 8 turns
4.125 R&P will take 8 1/2 turns
4.37 will take 9 turns.

Now put into 4th and count the number of turns on the input shaft to get 2 complete turns of the drive axle. Now divide the number of turns of the input shaft by your R&P gear and divide that by 2, any you should have your 4th gear ratio.

You can do the same with 3rd.

If these are the “instructions” you guys are referring to, you need to reread them. Second gear calculations are for one revolution. The one revolution figures of 8, 8.5, and 9 are if both wheels are turning equally as if there are no axles connected to the differential.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Re-read the third line please. It says"To determine what Ring & Pinion you have, put the trans into 2nd gear and count the number of turns you spin the input shaft (clutch disc) to get the drive axle to turn one complete turn. Use a piece of tape or marker to get a reference point.
3.875 R&P will take 8 turns
4.125 R&P will take 8 1/2 turns

Now put into 4th and count the number of turns on the input shaft to get 2 complete turns of the drive axle. Now divide the number of turns of the input shaft by your R&P gear and divide that by 2, any you should have your 4th gear ratio.

Last edited by vdubrookie on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

That response was 14 years ago, and may not be accurate. I have learned things and I have forgotten thing in the last 14 years.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Dave, so how would you go about this process today then, please.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

OK, still same procedure, one wheel down, other wheel up, 4 3/4turns for one wheel revolution, 9 5/8 turn for two revolutions, any guesses as to what my rear axle ratio might be? This still isn't coming out right. What's the next higher numerical VW ratio available after 4.37?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

5:13
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

about 9.625,,,,,so

2.21 second and 4.375, would be would be 9.67 turns
2.35 second with 4.125 would be 9.69

2.33 and 4.125 would be 9.61
2.47 and 3.875 would be 9.57
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

My notes from the PO state that my gearbox was bult by Leduc Racing Components in Midland, Mi & that it has close ratio 3rd & 4th. It also has billet side cover & dual snap rings in the carrier. What are the typical 3rd & 4th gear ratios in a box like that. I know your crystal balls are broken at the moment, just wondering what is typically used in a slightly modified trans like this.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Fourth is usually between 1.04 and 1.32
I think you have a 1.21 fourth
Check third and first too
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Thanks Modok, I'm getting about 50-51 in 4th gear at 3000 rpm according to my speedometer on my iPhone if that makes it any clearer.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: axle ratio Reply with quote

Sorry to keep dragging this out but I keep coming up with new questions. Ok, I have determined thru various calculators & math based on input revs for 1 tire revolution divided by 2 since one wheel is locked that I might have trans ratios as follows; 4th gear 2.5 turns =1.21
3rd gear3.44 turns =1.67
2nd gear 4.75 turns = 2.31
1st gear 7.75 turns= 3.76
ring& pinion ratio 4.125 = 50mph@3000RPM - 28.3 tire height
The question now is how many if any of these gear ratios are possible & available for a swing axle transmission or are my calculations completely fictitious? Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: