Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone know what this is>?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mturner7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Does anyone know what this is>? Reply with quote

Hi, Take a look at the photos of my 1974, 2.0L Porsche type4 engine bay, mystery sensor.

It was installed in the car when I purchased it. I think it is a remote oil pressure sensor, but without tearing into the engine, I can't tell.

They used several colors of wires (from one side of the unit), goes from red, to green, to blue then goes into the harness.

The white wire goes into a different harness.

The hose goes into a hole next to the distributor by cylinder #4. I think it goes over to the case to the oil pressure hole.

Any Ideas what this is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mturner7 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know what this is>? Reply with quote

Oil pressure sender.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mturner7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know what this is>? Reply with quote

OK, I found it.

- It's a Dual Oil pressure sensor and Oil Pressure dummy light sensor in one.

1) 80psi MAX VDO gauge sensor
2) Dummy light to the gauge in the instrument panel.

- Also, it's too big to fit in to the designated hole, so it was mounted remote using a flex tube of some sort. I Found several posting on the subject.

- No one wants to cut a huge hole in the tin above the case!

The VDO Dual Pole Electric Oil Pressure Sender can be used to provide an oil pressure signal for a gauge as well as the idiot light.

VDO Pressure Senders have a 10 x 1.0 thread and can be installed directly into a VW/Porsche 914 engine case or used with a Multiple Adapter (provides for location of pressure and temperature senders).

For use with all 12-volt pressure gauges.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2350.htm

Thx

I found one with the hole cut in to the tin

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know what this is>? Reply with quote

And Very Professionally Done!! G
Please use <vdubwizard> for all messages, Big foot does not work correctly? Long rod Engines slow the piston down at TDC and BDC to let more flow and less angle to the pistons which helps the engine to last longer, less wear, and move the power band up the scale a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know what this is>? Reply with quote

Just keep an eye on it. The dual senders have two different pressure ranges. They also can be glitchy sometimes so check the reading on the cockpit gauge with the reading of a standard dial type gauge.

Also, more importantly....if this is a hose that has been made up by a hose shop for the use of motor oil...perfect. Too many people simply use a brake hose for this modification. Brake hoses are lined with EPDM rubber.

EPDM WILL NOT work with any VOC, mineral oil, mineral spirits, motor oil, fuels of any kind etc.
Propylene glycols, glycol ethers, silicone oil...good. Most other types of oils are very destructive to EPDM.

Yes...a brake hose can last quite a while as an oil hose....and then mysteriously break.

If it is a brake hose.....I would take the hose down to a hose shop...have the fittings cut off....and have a piece of fuel hose swaged onto them. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: