Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission fluid in engine oil
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

Question: I'm totally ignorant on this matter. But is it possible for some reason: can transmission fluid get into the engine oil? I'm having trouble getting an indication on the transmission dipstick of adding fluid to bring the level up to where it should be.

If it is possibly happening: Is there a way to check for sure? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Question: I'm totally ignorant on this matter. But is it possible for some reason: can transmission fluid get into the engine oil? I'm having trouble getting an indication on the transmission dipstick of adding fluid to bring the level up to where it should be.

If it is possibly happening: Is there a way to check for sure? Bob

Bob, there are a couple of issues to check that can cause transmission fluid to disappear.

1. If the diaphram inside of the transmission modulator valve may be damaged (that round thing on the right rear side of the oil pan on the transmission with a vacuum hose attached ued to it)......it can either leak fluid outside to the ground or more commonly the transmission fluid gets sucked into the vacuum hose and into the engine.

If you pull that hose loose and there is any red transmission fluid at all inside or it drips out....this is what is happening.

2. Lift up the car and let it sit level as possible. Get a hex socket tool and remove the fill plug from the side of the differential. Put a pan under it. If a bunch of fluid runs out.....it's over filled. But if the fluid is too high and it also has a reddish tint....it's because the seal between the automatic section and the differential has failed and is leaking into the differential section.
If this is the prohlem.....and its very common.....you can't drive it this way as it dilutes the 90 weight gear oil in the differential and can destroy it. It's not hard or expensive to replace the seals and gaskets between the auto and diff section.....but the transmission has to come out to do so.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

Yep, Ray is totally correct. Hope it is the easy fix.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

OK, one more question: If I remember correctly, that hose in in two sections on my car, and they connect back near the rear spring. Is checking the hose that far from the differential practical, or not. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
OK, one more question: If I remember correctly, that hose in in two sections on my car, and they connect back near the rear spring. Is checking the hose that far from the differential practical, or not. Bob

You noted you have transmission oil in the engine. I had to re-read your post. So you HAVE transmission ATF in your engine oil right?

Only say that can happen is from that modulator valve. Easy fix but may be hard to find. List the part # on yours. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

And check for any paint parks or bands on the modulator. At some point, I think VW color-coded parts with the same part number!
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

Bob,
Usually when the modulator valve ruptures that causes the engine to smoke out the tailpipe a whole lot. Does your engine smoke? Just gotta ask…did you by mistake pour ATF into your crankcase?

Bill
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

I'm just having trouble getting the transmission fluid up to level. That's what made me start wondering where it's going. No there is no smoke, and I haven't mistakingly poured transmission fluid in the engine.

I haven't done the checks yet Ray said to do. I'll let you know what happens after I do that. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
I'm just having trouble getting the transmission fluid up to level. That's what made me start wondering where it's going. No there is no smoke, and I haven't mistakingly poured transmission fluid in the engine.

I haven't done the checks yet Ray said to do. I'll let you know what happens after I do that. Bob

Ok...just check to make sure your engine oil is not too high and also make sure you are checking transmission fluid with the engine running and warmed up, the brake on, the wheels blocked and the transmission in Drive. Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

Worst case scenario could be what Ray has already mentioned. Better then go ahead and check the final drive. Could be going there. Hopefully not.

Bill
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

OH!!!, I wasn't checking the transmission fluid with it in drive. So I'll do some rechecking. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: transmission fluid in engine oil Reply with quote

OK, to answer your question about smoke. Just noticed lately when starting the engine I get smoke briefly. not every time, but has happened a couple of times. I haven't got the car lifted yet so I can do the checks Ray suggested. Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: