Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Manx launching next year
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Just saw this... and it's electric: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-new-meyer...3fd1846340
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

It looks cool....................but no thanks.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

It doesn't look much different from the original. I like it.

And here's a better article without all the BS msn tracking.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/meyers-manx-2-0-electric-dune-buggy-debut/

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Nice, but... no front turn signal, marker lights?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Not impressed. Just another car company falling into the electric (carbon free) car world hysteria will save us....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Is there a mention about cost? I think that would have a large impact on interest with the average buggy enthusiast. The Manx company was up in Big Bear during the annual Manx outing about 3 weeks ago. They were showing a new take on the original Manx body, with a couple of cool improvements, like lockable storage under the rear seat. It was a prototype, and when I asked what the price would be once they were produced, I was told they were hoping to keep it to no more than $6,000.00. This was for the body only, no windshield.
Other items they had on display/for sale:
Windshield 600.00
Front bumper 600.00
Rear bumper 400.00
Drop down dash - 350.00
Sidewinder exhaust - 705.00
Im glad that the Manx will live on, but I wont be a customer. I also wonder if these will actually be considered real Manx's.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

I like it and I think it has nice styling and updates the design. Not that it needed to be updated. It looks way better that the 2+2.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

As an EV and aircooled VW enthusiast I'm gonna pass. I do think they captured the styling quite well, not easy to do when you rip out everything VW including the iconic engine. The rear grill is a nice touch.

For me the reason for a buggy is the simplicity. I like to use this platform to ditch everything not required and reduce a car to its essential substance, with style. A T-bucket for a later decade, if you will.

I've built a couple EV buggies. I started with a VW powered buggy that only weighed 1100 lb. in road "legal" trim. I built it into an EV buggy with lead acid that weighed 1420 lb. then upgraded it with Lithium batteries to a 1230 lb. buggy. Complexity creep -- screw up charging or discharging those and you could burn the house down! I used LiFePO4 cells to minimize that risk, but it still had feature creep (and I see electrical as easy.) If I buy an EV I expect it to be from a maker large enough to pay up if their design burns my house (and VW stuff) down.

I think many people will discover how nice an EV is after they drive one a little. The torque and power is down lower, the efficiency is at higher rpms. They dont need gears if the motor has 20% more mass and the controller 40% more silicon strictly required (and power silicon is getting ever cheaper.) Batteries and charging seem to be improving and coming down in price too. I see 2022 in the EV world being about 1918 in the gas car world. Hang on!
jpfahrstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

I like it. There's room in this world for all the old gas powered buggies we have now (and love so dearly) and a new version of Bruce's grand idea that involves electric propulsion. I have no great problem with the push to electric vehicles in our future and this is one fun version for sure. Can't wait to see what it costs and if there will be an electric conversion kit for our old gas powered buggies.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Ya, looks great and as far as driving them, these ones will do everything that 90% of the present Buggy owners do right now. The exception being those of us that take our Buggies on holidays long distance.

But… what about the SOUND??!!!

A Buggy with no sound is eating a steak without taste buds, watching the peelers blindfolded, going to a music festival stone deaf!!! What is the point?

And… what abut the pleasure we get working on ours?

Ya, neat rig. Talk to me about it again when I am in the care home and no longer able for oil changes and setting the valve lash… Buggies to me are about getting your hands greasy as well as driving them! Yup that’s the geriatric model for sure!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

is it a BUG-E then?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Peerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Not even if they give them away for free
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Exactly.

No sound. No stick shift. Heck, no transmission! What's the point?

It's coming so fast, I can feel the homogenization of society as we speak.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
oprn wrote:

Exactly.

Well, as from an older person perspective who's knees aren't the greatest - I'm tired of driving stick shift. I've had kits and buggies for years.. I can do without the clutch in metro areas. Since quality replacement parts for the engines are becoming harder to find.. I don't miss valve adjustments either.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

here are some real pics of the car
https://www.snaptaste.com/meyers-manx-event/

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
oprn wrote:

Exactly.

Well, as from an older person perspective who's knees aren't the greatest - I'm tired of driving stick shift. I've had kits and buggies for years.. I can do without the clutch in metro areas. Since quality replacement parts for the engines are becoming harder to find.. I don't miss valve adjustments either.

There you go, did I call it or not?! It’s the geriatric model.

Now don’t get my wrong here, I am not making light of anyone. I’m getting old too. It’s not my knees, it’s my wrists and shoulders. I must confess that the power steering does have a bit of a draw for me. And one of these days I could turn up deaf too and not be able to hear that lovely Buggy sound we all grew up with. My turn is coming but for now I’m sticking with my engine powered one!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

EV just isn't for me. Nothing about the creature comforts or styling will ever get me to want an EV. I'll bet when you see the actual selling price most of you will realize it's just a dream.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Launch it! Right with Elon’s Tesla!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

Probably going to increase the value of our vintage machines as they become less available....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Manx launching next year Reply with quote

On my cul-de-sac, and corresponding block, there are 8 young men older than 17, younger than 30. 3 of them drive hybrids or electric. The rest of them that have a car, drive Japanese economy es. One drives a Malibu, but its the Toyota with a Chevy emblem kind. None are interested in cars, let alone classic cars. Some don't seem interested in driving. The only way many of the younger generation is getting into buggies, is if its electric, and they can buy it built, and not have to work on it. Not for me at this point in my life, but I think its the future for many.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: