Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Main Bearing Clearance
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

I was going to say as a joke sort of, just use a less accurate micrometer Laughing lol

It's like the secret to perfect health: as long as you never go to the doctor you'll have nothing wrong with you, right? Wink lol

I'm using a set if old, but well maintained, Lufkin micrometers and some snap gauges to check everything. I dont think I would ever really able to identify with much certainty measurements past .0001" even then it can be +/- .0001" with my measuring skills Laughing

That being said, Its probabaly wise to atleast try to check if you have two halves on opposite ends of the spectrum. That's a full .001" of variation from side to side. That doesn't sound ideal exactly. I dont know what that kind of variation would cause in an engine in real life. Maybe it's not a big deal for most engines, since you have the rest of the bearings keeping everything true. It's only the oil gap that varies?

I think as long as the a final clearance of the split can be verified to be in spec. I can live with that, I can't afford to buy 10 sets of bearings... it makes sense if you build enough engines or sell parts tho.

I'm just thinking out loud here, I am glad you pointed this out so clearly with pictures and measurements. It is good to be aware of. Thanks!
StefACE67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

Good luck with that. Putting bearings in the box that actually matched what was printed...on the fucking box would be a great start. Since they obviously can’t manage that, I doubt they are going to be able to produce bearings which differ in .001” increments and label them as such...on the box.

Clearly their equipment just can’t hold tolerances. They would have to measure and sort each bearing before packaging and labeling them. I can’t see that happening unless people were willing to pay more for bearings within spec or just the regular price for ya get what ya get.

Maybe it has always been like this and it’s just that precision measuring tools are now more often found in the hands of home engine builders. Maybe in the old days people just trusted the machinist and ran the bearings they got. If the crank turned smoothly and felt good, being a little loose or a little tight would not going to make much difference for many miles especially on the mains for a stock build. Maybe lower oil pressure earlier than expected in the engine’s service life. But then again, in the old days you wouldn’t have been watching oil pressure and temp gauges sword fight their way across tens of thousands of miles.

I'm not talking about Silverline making these bearings...

We are deep in emails about the whole thing with Mahle/Clevite, they make bearings for the LS engines I also build and they are available in +/- .001" sizes, there's no reason they cant make them for a VW.

Pretty much every engine other than Aircooled VW engines have bearings readily available on the market in +/- .001" sized so you can really dial in your clearances.

The tooling is already available to make the bearings, as Mahle used to offer a (non steel back) type 1 bearing set.

The reason I believe this has gone unnoticed in the VW engine building world (and this is apparent even more so when speaking to the big VW aftermarket parts suppliers) is that not many of them, including many other shops that claim to build engines, check or measure any of this stuff. There are a good few home builders and a hand full of other engine builders that I know of that do these checks and actually build their engines. And these people (myself included) are not the shops that turn out 3-4 engines in one week, those people are not engine builders, they are parts assemblers.

This whole Mahle deal isn't going to be cheap at all, but it's worth it. Personally my goal is to get the VW engine world up to date, the same as the V8 scene is and out of that 1970's methodology of building and spec'ing motors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

StefACE67 wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Good luck with that. Putting bearings in the box that actually matched what was printed...on the fucking box would be a great start. Since they obviously can’t manage that, I doubt they are going to be able to produce bearings which differ in .001” increments and label them as such...on the box.

Clearly their equipment just can’t hold tolerances. They would have to measure and sort each bearing before packaging and labeling them. I can’t see that happening unless people were willing to pay more for bearings within spec or just the regular price for ya get what ya get.

Maybe it has always been like this and it’s just that precision measuring tools are now more often found in the hands of home engine builders. Maybe in the old days people just trusted the machinist and ran the bearings they got. If the crank turned smoothly and felt good, being a little loose or a little tight would not going to make much difference for many miles especially on the mains for a stock build. Maybe lower oil pressure earlier than expected in the engine’s service life. But then again, in the old days you wouldn’t have been watching oil pressure and temp gauges sword fight their way across tens of thousands of miles.

I'm not talking about Silverline making these bearings...

We are deep in emails about the whole thing with Mahle/Clevite, they make bearings for the LS engines I also build and they are available in +/- .001" sizes, there's no reason they cant make them for a VW.

Pretty much every engine other than Aircooled VW engines have bearings readily available on the market in +/- .001" sized so you can really dial in your clearances.

The tooling is already available to make the bearings, as Mahle used to offer a (non steel back) type 1 bearing set.

The reason I believe this has gone unnoticed in the VW engine building world (and this is apparent even more so when speaking to the big VW aftermarket parts suppliers) is that not many of them, including many other shops that claim to build engines, check or measure any of this stuff. There are a good few home builders and a hand full of other engine builders that I know of that do these checks and actually build their engines. And these people (myself included) are not the shops that turn out 3-4 engines in one week, those people are not engine builders, they are parts assemblers.

This whole Mahle deal isn't going to be cheap at all, but it's worth it. Personally my goal is to get the VW engine world up to date, the same as the V8 scene is and out of that 1970's methodology of building and spec'ing motors.

Thank you for clarifying that. I would be happy to pay more for bearings that were this accurate. I’m currently building a Type 4 and have bought 3 sets of bearings; 2 sets of Silverline, 1 older set of steel backed Mahle. The center mains for both sets of Silverlines were too big. I had to sand the legs of the center main shells little by little measuring it in the case each time. I haven’t checked the Mahle’s yet. I would pay quite a bit to avoid this kind of time consuming bullshit. Time is money times frustration squared...Cam bearings haven’t been much better.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

The +/- bearings would also help with those who like to coat the bearings...

I hope you are able to make this happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

Thank you for clarifying that. I would be happy to pay more for bearings that were this accurate. I’m currently building a Type 4 and have bought 3 sets of bearings; 2 sets of Silverline, 1 older set of steel backed Mahle. The center mains for both sets of Silverlines were too big. I had to sand the legs of the center main shells little by little measuring it in the case each time. I haven’t checked the Mahle’s yet. I would pay quite a bit to avoid this kind of time consuming bullshit. Time is money times frustration squared...Cam bearings haven’t been much better.

I just put together a type 1, verified the line bore was good, but I too had to buy two sets of silver line and one set of mahle. Silver line split needed the split line slowly worked down to go from .005” to .0025, all while watching case to brg crush… the mahle split was tight .0025 to the crank! the full bearings from mahle were good. The full silver lines were all over the place.

You guys are right, most/all shops I have come across don’t have a set of mic’s and a bore gauge - if I didn’t I would have put this thing together worse than it started out with 1 million miles

It would be cool to find bearings from another engine that could be put into the vw case, no reason they can’t all be split…
gtjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

Can a standard split number two bearing be installed in the number three full circle main without modification. I did drill for another dowel. I have good lateral movement of the crank when the case is split. But when I torque the case halves together I still have good lateral movement at 24 ft lbs, but at 25 ft lbs it is very hard to move back and forth. I tried a different number 2 split bearing with the same results. I did measure the bearing thickness of both the number two and number 3 bearing. The split bearing is a little thicker which of what i read is normal specs. I split and reinstalled all of the bearings without the locating dowels with the same result, so I ruled out that the dowels were too long. The case is new from CB Perf, as well as the counterweight crank. the crank journals are all the same size as well as the main saddles in the case. I was hoping for a little insight on this before continuing. My next step is trying some plastigage on # 2 and #3 with the split bearing and comparing the results. As I said, I do have some lateral movement, but it is very tight. I can push it back from the flywheel end, but have to use a screwdriver to push it back towards the flywheel. Any suggestions??
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

gtjones wrote:
Can a standard split number two bearing be installed in the number three full circle main without modification. I did drill for another dowel.

Yes. I've done it on several engines. The cool thing is you no longer have to remove the gears to replace the bearings.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

gtjones wrote:
Any suggestions??

My suggestion is to get a micrometer set, and a bore gauge, and get real ACTUAL measurements. Smeared Plastigauge and feeling wont tell you if the mains are .002 to tight. New bearings out of the box are more often too tight than correct on the oil clearance. Only way to know for sure is real accurate measurements. Anything else, and you are just guessing.

Seizing a main bearing will make a mess of your parts, and it will be much more expensive to fix than the cost of the micrometers and bore gauge set. You can also use the same tools to measure piston skirt clearance, cylinder taper or out-of-round, bearing crush, and a few other things.

Brian
gtjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I do have a bore guage but it only gives me the variances of the bore ( wrong bore guage). I utilized a snap guage and measured that with a vernier caliper. The following is what I arrived at when measuring the case torqued to spec with just the mains. #1 -0.003, #2 0.0025, #3 with the split bearing 0.0005.
Can I take and file a small amount off the ends of the split bearing in the #3 position to increase the clearance by eliminating some of the crush? Perhaps I am expecting too much by installing a #2 bearing in the #3 position.
I want to build this right and have the satisfaction knowing I am doing this right. Suggestions?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

What kind of bore gage cannot be set to a size?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

I think the kind that has an owner that doesn't also have a micrometer set.

Definitely understandable, but you'll need to pick up some mics to set the dial bore gauge with or you'll be going in circles. Everything will make way more sense and you'll be able to set the gauge to mics, or mic the crank and set the dial bore gauge to that to check clearances, etc. etc. and all sorts of other useful fun things having to do with holes and the things that go in them.

Fun activity list, for starters:
Cam drive gear size and fit on crank
distributor drive gear size and fit on crank
piston to cylinder clearance
rod end and rod journal roundness and size
bearing crush
distance between two surfaces that is otherwise hard to measure
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

gtjones wrote:
Thanks for the info. I do have a bore guage but it only gives me the variances of the bore ( wrong bore guage).

Sounds like you have the RIGHT gauge. It compares things. That is why it is called a GAUGE. Wink

What you need to use a gauge is a standard. Something of a known quantity to compare it to as a reference. It can be as simple as a calibrated micrometer (hopefully your micrometers came with standards), or as fancy as a gauge block bore setting master. With care, both work equally well. Setting masters are quick and pretty fool proof. A micrometer is a bit trickier because the bore gauge is sensitive to misalignment, but with practice, you can get very good repeatability. My bore gauge has a 10ths (0.0001”) indicator on it, and I can with practice quickly get to within 0.0003 repeatability with a micrometer… somewhere between 0.0001 and 0.0002 if I really take my time, so it is doable.

I usually set my micrometer to the desired diameter, and zero out the gauge to that. It’s just easier to see at a quick glance how far off I am from my target.

gtjones wrote:
I utilized a snap guage and measured that with a vernier caliper.

With practice, the telescoping gauges work well. It is a bit of a feel that has to be developed, but once you get the feel for how tight to snug up the thimble to allow it to compress when rocked in the bore, but not expand when removed… but once you get that down, it’s pretty easy. However, I would caution you, a calipers really doesn’t have great resolution or accuracy unless $$$.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

I have a micrometer 3-3 inches that came with a 2 inch standard. I checked and it appears to right on. I then miked the crank journals and came up with 2.1650. I utilized the mike to set the bore guage to this reading. I then zeroed it. With the block resting on spigot bore 3 & 4 I miked journal #1 and at the 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock diagonal and it read -0.0015, then 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock and another reading of 0.0015. If correct then #1 bearing is in the range, correct?
gtjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

correction, that is a 2-3 micrometer
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

That is the correct procedure.

You should sweep the bore gauge back and forth to se the smallest distance between the mic anvils.

Then zero the bore gauge to that number. The gauge will now ready your crank journal size, and the variance shown on the bore gauge will be your oil clearance.

You can do the same thing to check the bearing crush on your case. Measure EACH bearing and set the mic. You should have .001-.0025" crush on each bearing when the case is FULLY torqued as it would be when its running.

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

Thumbs up on the procedure.
Shame it's too small, maybe a mahle brand #1 bearing would be better?

I'm realizing I need to back off on expecting guys to know how to do this stuff.
Getting INTO the world of measuring and high precision is just not for everybody.
But if you want to get into it.... that's great.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
That is the correct procedure.

You should sweep the bore gauge back and forth to se the smallest distance between the mic anvils.

Then zero the bore gauge to that number. The gauge will now ready your crank journal size, and the variance shown on the bore gauge will be your oil clearance.

You can do the same thing to check the bearing crush on your case. Measure EACH bearing and set the mic. You should have .001-.0025" crush on each bearing when the case is FULLY torqued as it would be when its running.

Brian

I do measurements like this too, but how to avoid marking bearings doing it?
Or is it normal and will not impact bearings life? I can't feel anything and it is only coating I could sand off, right?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

At this point IMO you don't really need to be overly concerned about marks on bearings.
There are a lot of different kinds of bore gauges, some have large radius anvils which work good on soft materials or others have small carbide anvils which work well on hard materials. And then how SMOOTh are the anvils?
Very common these days is Mitutoyo 511 clones, and those aren't very gentle with soft bearings, but great tool for the $.

We have discussed this a few times before and many agree the spring force on some is a bit overkill. May want to reduce the spring force or maybe take the spring out of it entirely. They have enough spring force in these things to work upside down.... but how often is that needed? Measuring holes in the ceiling?
You can stand the case up so flywheel side toward the sky........much easier IMO, and then gravity is doing the work of the spring so you may not need one besides what's in the indicator.

So even tho I said don't worry about it, you want to get specific....
The mark has a dimension. These marks might be 0.00007" deep, or it might be 0.00015" deep, so, to get REALLY precise that starts to count.
So your .0015 reading might be .00135 actual, but PROBABLY lots of other reasons you could be off more than that so no need to focus on it initially.
If it starts reading .003" quit measuring that spot and work on the rest of it Wink
that's a joke but... on a long enough timeline it could happen.

Only the center #2 main has a thin surface plating usually.
1,3,4 mains are just solid material.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Main Bearing Clearance Reply with quote

modok wrote:
At this point IMO you don't really need to be overly concerned about marks on bearings.
There are a lot of different kinds of bore gauges, some have large radius anvils which work good on soft materials or others have small carbide anvils which work well on hard materials. And then how SMOOTh are the anvils?
Very common these days is Mitutoyo 511 clones, and those aren't very gentle with soft bearings, but great tool for the $.

We have discussed this a few times before and many agree the spring force on some is a bit overkill. May want to reduce the spring force or maybe take the spring out of it entirely. They have enough spring force in these things to work upside down.... but how often is that needed? Measuring holes in the ceiling?
You can stand the case up so flywheel side toward the sky........much easier IMO, and then gravity is doing the work of the spring so you may not need one besides what's in the indicator.

So even tho I said don't worry about it, you want to get specific....
The mark has a dimension. These marks might be 0.00007" deep, or it might be 0.00015" deep, so, to get REALLY precise that starts to count.
So your .0015 reading might be .00135 actual, but PROBABLY lots of other reasons you could be off more than that so no need to focus on it initially.
If it starts reading .003" quit measuring that spot and work on the rest of it Wink
that's a joke but... on a long enough timeline it could happen.

Only the center #2 main has a thin surface plating usually.
1,3,4 mains are just solid material.

Thanks Modok,

That's about what I thought, but as a hobby home mechanic, you never really know you mess something until someone tells you Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: