Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cold foot on the pedal
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

HoboBus, brando90gl, & Slip356 – thanks for the suggestions for comfy footwear. Though I tend toward sneakers (and flip flops), I will give these a closer look.

Abscate – if I knew posting required skill, I would’ve never attempted it. And at the beach, not so much below the 50's, but next week in the Sierra while flyfishing Hot Creek, I expect mid-to-low 30’s.

aeromech – don’t have to reinstall since it is still attached, though I had to use metric Rivnuts to fix what a past mechanic had screwed up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

Wildthings - there is a grommet, but it's more like the spark-plug other-pedal grommets. The interior seal (square felt, I think) is in place, but when running down the highway, there is a dime-size hole through which cold-arse air could flow. Will get the correct "boot" soon, and see what is what. Do you happen to know if the small end of the boot goes up or down? I suspect up, but would like to do it right. Thanks for the suggestion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

boot should point up, so when you press the pedal is squishes instead of trying to extend.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Wildthings - there is a grommet, but it's more like the spark-plug other-pedal grommets. The interior seal (square felt, I think) is in place, but when running down the highway, there is a dime-size hole through which cold-arse air could flow. Will get the correct "boot" soon, and see what is what. Do you happen to know if the small end of the boot goes up or down? I suspect up, but would like to do it right. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't use a boot, I just cut an 1-3/4" diameter piece out of an old gallon oil or antifreeze jug, drill a hole in it a 1/32" larger than the throttle rod, and the fit it over the rod so it rests between the floor mat and the metal of the floor. Since I want this piece to be able to move smoothly so it stays centered on the rod I don't use the felt either.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

A past member, Tom Powell, went so far as to insulate his pedal pan. Plus several other things like inside the nose behind the kick panels. Tom loved to snow ski and for reasons beyond my comprehension, he liked to camp in his 1969 westy while doing so.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

How about an after market snowmobile heated grip kit? Wired to the back of the pedal.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

Brian – thanks

Wildthings – i thought you might have a creative solution.

aeromech – gonna rattletrap the front along with recycled denim. My knees preclude skiing. Thankfully. But I fish, and things can get cold at altitude.

alaskadan – thanks, didn’t know such a thing existed. Course, I didn’t know thumb warmers existed either.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:

Abscate – if I knew posting required skill, I would’ve never attempted it..

he's talking about me, the resident prick.

all i can say is my mind is blown that this is on page 2. complaints like this are why we have 5k heated steering wheels in todays shitboxes Rolling Eyes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus - nice to meet you. Sorry to provide competition for lack of skills.

1) I am not complaining. Just sharing a middling issue that, if improved, would make things better.

2) I, too, am surprised we made it to page 2. I figure it is a reflection of the willingness of folks to try to help, even with something so small. Which I very much appreciate.

3) My '99 Volvo has heated seats, but not the steering wheel. Just another set of things to break.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
A past member, Tom Powell, went so far as to insulate his pedal pan. Plus several other things like inside the nose behind the kick panels. Tom loved to snow ski and for reasons beyond my comprehension, he liked to camp in his 1969 westy while doing so.

I love camping in my bus on ski trips, especially in Silverton. Tom Powell was wise beyond his years…

My pedal is bare metal as well, flip flops are my friend…

Now I get your feet comment.

Bus on Tom!!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:

Abscate – if I knew posting required skill, I would’ve never attempted it.

This was the best. I laughed out loud. Not at you dodger_tom - you didn't realize he meant the person, but it was too funny.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I love camping in my bus on ski trips, especially in Silverton. Tom Powell was wise beyond his years…

My pedal is bare metal as well, flip flops are my friend…

Now I get your feet comment.

Bus on Tom!!!!

Globespotter wrote:
dodger tom wrote:

This was the best. I laughed out loud. Not at you dodger_tom - you didn't realize he meant the person, but it was too funny.

never expected this thread to come back to life on its own. thanks rich and globe for resurrecting it, cause i did find a simple solution, which i've been meaning to post about.

some time ago i had occasion to write to deschutes brewing complaining about their doing away with one of the world's great ipa's, "pinedrops." they sent me a bunch of swag. one day i had an inspiration......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.....a neoprene beer-bottle cozy. that and a thick wool sock on my foot, and i'm toasty.

by the way, i did appreciate how so many of you chimed in to help with such a fringe question. if i'd'a had more samba experience, i woulda put it in the stupid-question sticky.

thanks, dt
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

Party on Dude. Nice solution!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

Tom Powell insulated his belly pan from the cold, Desertbusman taught me to insulate mine from the heat. Works both ways Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

gary or robbie, do you have a link to tom’s post about his insulated belly pan? i searched, but no luck.

i’m wondering what kind of insulation? what kind of adhesive?

i mean the cozy works on my foot, but overall warmth (or cool) is always good.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
dodger tom wrote:

I’m still laughing too.

Tom…I’m also in the 1999 Volvo club…four of them in my fleet.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

I used a few strips of dynamat on the inner skin and a sheet or two of reflectix in the belly pan for thermal insulation. Don’t over-think it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: cold foot on the pedal Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I can’t wait for skills to join this thread , it has sole.

What’s cold In CA? 65F?

Honda’s have pedal warmers, and you meet the nicest people In a Honda....

Very Happy

I have been in CA at 30F...?1994

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: