Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 and up Super steering rack question.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone overhauls or replaces the steering rack as part of the restoration of the front end of their car. I'm going to replace everything else when I get to that point (hopefully later this summer after the floor pans), and the rack is the only front end part not being replaced.. A quick search shows it not available WW. I did find a company in Michigan that does rack rebuilding, with services for foreign cars starting at $500 plus shipping. Any thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks, Mark.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

Can't help but I'd like to know as well.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of rebuilding the rack on my 75 Super right now.

It is a pretty simple assembly and not complex to rebuild. I think wear in the principal mechanism is not very common.

There are a couple of off-the-shelf bearings that can/should be replaced, and replacement rubber gaiters are widely available.

The only part I haven't been able to source yet are the internal end stops. These are rubber or similar cylindrical plugs 33mm diameter and 15mm long. One of mine had deteiorated completely and the other was about half gone. So if anyone has found a solution for these I'd be interested to hear.
Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:

It is a pretty simple assembly and not complex to rebuild. I think wear in the principal mechanism is not very common.

There are a couple of off-the-shelf bearings that can/should be replaced, and replacement rubber gaiters are widely available.

The only part I haven't been able to source yet are the internal end stops. These are rubber or similar cylindrical plugs 33mm diameter and 15mm long. One of mine had deteiorated completely and the other was about half gone. So if anyone has found a solution for these I'd be interested to hear.
I found a place in Michigan that does full re builds of rack units called United Power Steering Plus. Their phone number is 313-541-1200. I have no knowledge, or experinece with this place. Their website shows them to be a very big company, so manybe they could help you out with the bits you are looking for. Good luck, and as always, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge of bugs!
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

The references for the replacement bearings are as follows:

(1) 6001 (deep groove ball bearing, 28mm OD x 12mm ID x 8mm W)
The original bearing appeared to have a semi-open design on one side, but I think this is just the type of race used at the time. Replacement should be 'open' type.
This bearing supports the rack gear and takes both the axial and radial forces.

(2) HK1814RS (drawn cup needle roller bearing, 24mm OD x 18mm ID x 14mm W)
This bearing has an integral shield on one side (RS) which forms the external seal of the gear assembly at the steering column shaft. It is probably seized or gummed up after being exposed to the elements for so long, this may not be immediately noticeable without disassembly of the rack.
Note that there is no seating edge in the rack body behind the needle roller bearing, so the full internal face is accessible. It can be removed using either a bearing puller & slide hammer or by hammering a drift from the reverse face. However mine was seized in the bore, so could only be removed after I had ground away a line through the outer cup using a dremel tool allowing it to be crushed slightly.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:

Do you have pictures of the parts and the rack apart?
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

I have taken some and will document the rebuild. But probably will make a separate thread rather than hijack this one further Smile
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 and up Super steering rack question. Reply with quote

This is all good to know as I was told they were “un rebuildable” by a reputable person before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: