Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

I have a 1.5" lift and Big Braes from Go Westy. I had 15" BFG KO2's and switched to 16" wheels and Falken Wildpeak AT Trails - 215 65R16's and looks like I need spacers.

See photo that shows the control arm bracket near the side wall. My local Subaru dealership works on my van and does a nice job and are recommending spacers all around to correct.

Checking the forum to see if you all agree.

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Westy46 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

What is your wheel offset?
How much stud length do you have to accommodate spacers?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding stupid, can you explain wheel offset for me? I would most certainly need the correct stud length if using spacers. I will need to confirm with Subaru on Monday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

On the inside hub of the wheel, should be moulded numbers/letters, giving wheel specs. Should be an "ET XX" where "XX" is 2 numbers.

Judging by your pics, I kinda think you may have an acceptable ET.

If the ET is something over 35, you may benefit from some thin spacers.

T3 techniques will be the website you'll go to to get spacers and maybe studs/bolts and nuts.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

It looks close, but I don't think it's touching. Looks like maybe 1/2"... Who's wheels? Is the offset stamped on the wheel somewhere?

Hans
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

Go Westy 16" wheel set. Subaru recommending 15mm spacer on all wheels.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

https://t3technique.com/products/custom-t3-wheel-spacers

I recommend putting them on before you do any hard cornering or off-road driving.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

Since they're gowesty, you should be ok. Wouldn't hurt to contact T3 and get Chris' confirmation. T3 is the answer to all things wheels.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

Which GoWesty 16" wheels? They sell ET 38 wheels for syncro and EV and ET 23 for 2wd.

Hans
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

What happens when you put ET23 on a Syncro?

ET23 would put the tires 15 mm outboard of ET38 right? (total 30mm wider).
It seems like 30mm wider is better..... if it 'fits'.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

T3 is the only guy to ask. Don't listen to anyone else. This is what Christopher does for a living. A great guy to deal with and immediate on delivery.

Duncan
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

The Go Westy wheel set is for 2WD and ET23.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Oh man,, I don't wanna go down this rabbit hole. GoWesty sells 2 different et's? I'm pretty sure Chris had said the Goldilocks zone was somewhere between et 30-37. 23 sure seems like a low et.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

It's hard to see the detail in your photo. Here is a pic of the trial fit of a Mercedes CLK wheel on my 2WD '87. No contact yet in thousands of miles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

I'm interested in the fact that a Subie dealer works on your van. I assume you have a subie conversion. How did you go about getting them to work on a 30 year old VW? Helpful service manager? Helpful Tech? You own the dealership?

In a day when VW dealers won't work on Vanagons, a subie shop working on a Vanagon appears to reflect a good relationship with a helpful shop.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

No way, don't add thick spacers when you are starting with ET23 wheels.
Those are already past the desired offset range and 15mm spacers would make that worse.

It is a shame that our vendors don't source more wheels with a fit better suited to our vans.

Whether 15 or 16, having 6" and 6.5" width wheels would be better for most of us.

Mark
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
T3 is the only guy to ask. Don't listen to anyone else. This is what Christopher does for a living. A great guy to deal with and immediate on delivery.

Duncan

This...not that others are wrong, but one voice that's made a vocation of fitting wheels is easier to process than many voices that are similar but a little different here and there.
Plus,.you may as well get the parts from t3 anyway cause they're gonna be excellent quality.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I'm interested in the fact that a Subie dealer works on your van. I assume you have a subie conversion. How did you go about getting them to work on a 30 year old VW? Helpful service manager? Helpful Tech? You own the dealership?

In a day when VW dealers won't work on Vanagons, a subie shop working on a Vanagon appears to reflect a good relationship with a helpful shop.

Yeah ! I'd like to hear this story too..👍
Westy46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Subaru story... great shop and relationship!

So I purchased a Subaru Outback a couple years ago and at that time noticed all kinds of unique vehicles in the parking lot. I asked an employee and they gave me a tour of the shop, which included a frame off restoration section as well and said they will work on any vehicle. I came back thru the parking lot a couple weeks later and notice a 74' bus and of course a middle to late 80's Vanagon. I asked the shop if they worked on Vanagons much and that was when I heard the best news yet. Subaru has a couple technicians that are very good with the Vanagon repairs and that was the start of my relationship.

The local Volkswagen dealership will not work on the van as they claim they do not make enough money.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers Needed? 1987 Weekender-2WD Reply with quote

Westy46 wrote:
The local Volkswagen dealership will not work on the van as they claim they do not make enough money.

Thats 'cuz they fix one thing and something else breaksand the customer says "that wasn't broke when I dropped it off, you guys broke it". It can be a whack-a-mole especially if the van is "highly un-maintained".

Plus vans now are such a mishmash of OEM and aftermarket and custom and DIY. It takes a special kind of mechanic to work on them and if the shop has only 'normal' mechanics they can't take in this kind of work.

WRT wheels, I just got some ET23 wheels and with 215/70R16 tires, the slider door touches the right rear tire.
It's no problem, just touches & squeeks on past, un-noticeable unless you are looking closely.

If you put spacers on ET23 wheels, or wider tires (225, 235) the slider door would not open. But there are "ways".

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: