Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGR linkage improperly installed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: EGR linkage improperly installed Reply with quote

I was certain this arrangement was correct, but it actually does not function the EGR valve regardless of throttle position.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

have you taken the valve off and checked the functioning?

of course, even if it does, i've an egr valve that functions (the piston opens and closes), but the arm is broken, so it does not move the piston.

i also think there's a diaphragm in there that may be toast. others, like Steve and Ray, will know more about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Never mind. I had the tension spring and control linkage assembly reversed.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Steve - Bentley has the procedure to adjust it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve. The B&W photo is from Bentley indeed. Procedures are clear; I just failed to insert the parts in the right locations
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Is the black bushing on one end of the rod stock Vanagon, or did you find a solution for broken/missing bits? Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Don't own a late bay, Please explain to me how that linkage could matter which way it is installed?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Is the black bushing on one end of the rod stock Vanagon, or did you find a solution for broken/missing bits? Smile

Robbie

I totally violated thread policy. Anxious That is actually on the 1981 Vanagon. The wealth of Type 4 air-cooled fuel injection knowledge is greater in this room.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Don't own a late bay, Please explain to me how that linkage could matter which way it is installed?

Well, this shows what happens when it's not located properly. I didn't make one where it functions properly after following the Bentley. In this video, the throttle cable is not yet installed.

Link
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Robbie

I totally violated thread policy. Anxious That is actually on the 1981 Vanagon. The wealth of Type 4 air-cooled fuel injection knowledge is greater in this room.

I noticed and I love it! Didn’t notice the rods in the wrong holes though 😬

I’ve broken a few of those clear plastic bushings and wanted to know if you had a source for the black-looking bushing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:

I’m not seeing how that direction matters, either.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

OP mixed up the two levers on the throttle body, and TheSamba interpreted it wrong. TS Logo

Wasted Youth was talking about the throttle body return spring, not the EGR hyper-extension spring. Razz

Robbie
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Edited for content and… grammar… Razz

Yes, Robbie explained it correctly. If you look at the crappy black-and-white picture from the Bentley, and then my first picture, you could see that the rod and the spring are in the wrong locations.

The problem I was concerned with was not the EGR function itself or the rod, so I think I probably should have used more clear grammar from the onset.

When the rod and spring get mixed up, the EGR valve never functions because the cam on the throttle body doesn’t rotate that one when the throttle cable is advanced. And so the spring looks like it’s doing something useful, but it’s not.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:52 am; edited 2 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Grammar is for schmucks. If everyone paid attention this forum wouldn’t be half as cool.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Abscate wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

OP mixed up the two levers on the throttle body, and TheSamba interpreted it wrong. TS Logo

Wasted Youth was talking about the throttle body return spring, not the EGR hyper-extension spring. Razz

Robbie

Enlightenment has burst upon me like a Sunflower
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
airschooled wrote:
Abscate wrote:
bsairhead wrote:

Robbie

Enlightenment has burst upon me like a Sunflower

As I sit here staring out my kitchen window at the neighbor's sunflowers that are all lowering their heads as if in shame, I have no idea what that could possibly mean... .
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage question Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Robbie

I noticed and I love it! Didn’t notice the rods in the wrong holes though 😬

I’ve broken a few of those clear plastic bushings and wanted to know if you had a source for the black-looking bushing.

this was in Phil's photo. He might be able to answer your question. He was doing some rebushing of EGR arms at one time according to some 2021 photos. I think from the photos he may insert them then use a tool like what is used to fold a cloth eyelet over to make it hold in position.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: EGR linkage improperly installed Reply with quote

That should work perfectly, thanks so much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: