Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Thanks for the update ET - glad to hear all appears well. I'm starting to look into parts sources for the conversion but as I have no urgent need (i.e. van isn't broken right now), I don't have a timetable - so basically window shopping at the moment.

Last a remember, you still hadn't sorted the clutch/ignition and clutch/cruise control interlocks. Any updates on those?

I have the switch I just need to wire it up. I'm actually starting work at a [shop here in Asheville July 11th. Looking forward to working on VWs again. Smile

https://www.westymotorwerks.com/
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I played with connecting some relays to the TCU harness to take the place of the missing transmission solenoids. Seven of them, plus two more connected to the speed sensor connecters.

I started with 10 codes.
My hardware hack got it down to two.

HOWEVER...

...it ran differently. Throttle was much more on/off feeling. Performance was down easily 20%.

I removed all of it and it's back to running great again. Wink

Arrow With a check engine light glowing, no, GLARING at me. Embarassed

I'm looking into a stand alone EFI install as a solution to this business.
A Megasquirt OR Microsquirt may work. I'm looking here:
https://kptuned.com/
I called and left a message today.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I spoke with Paul about an injection system. $2500 and it's still in a prototype phase. It's a stand alone so during an inspection for readiness monitors NOTHING will show up via OBD. This rules it out as a solution for owners of a manual swap van in California.

My goal is to find a solution that will allow a full inspection and pass it. No CEL!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

This captivates me. I have an 01 EVC and would be much happier with a manual.
Curious if you have a VCDS scan of the van.
I’m wondering if there is some adaptation work that’s due to disable nodes that no longer are necessary due to the swap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
This captivates me. I have an 01 EVC and would be much happier with a manual.
Curious if you have a VCDS scan of the van.
I’m wondering if there is some adaptation work that’s due to disable nodes that no longer are necessary due to the swap.

I'm in deep on finding a solution for this. It's not something that VCDS can simply reprogram or a solve with adaptations. It's going to take hacking the ECU OR coming up with a hardware solution that emulates the CAN bus signals that are missing from the transmission.

As I make progress on this I'll be posting results on this thread.

Driving the van as a 5 speed is so much better!! The performance is better, gas mileage is better and no more trans fluid/filter changes. I love it!
FreedomBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I would love to do this swap on my 2003 VR6 Rialta! The automatic is such a dog. A manual swap would make it way more fun to drive! I'm following this thread. Thank you!

1700 Type 4 engine
Manual Transmission
Pertronix Mechanical advance distributor
Pertronix Flame Thrower coil
Weber Progressive

Come visit our Facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Freedom-the-Campmobile/158775277473211

Click to view image
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
It's going to take hacking the ECU OR coming up with a hardware solution that emulates the CAN bus signals that are missing from the transmission.

There is good info in the EV swap community for emulating CAN bus.

https://openinverter.org/docs/index.html%3Fen_home,3.html

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_CAN_bus

The Open Inverter group have it pretty well figured out.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

shirk wrote:
EuroTec wrote:
It's going to take hacking the ECU OR coming up with a hardware solution that emulates the CAN bus signals that are missing from the transmission.

There is good info in the EV swap community for emulating CAN bus.

https://openinverter.org/docs/index.html%3Fen_home,3.html

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_CAN_bus

The Open Inverter group have it pretty well figured out.

Awesome! Thank you. Cool
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I've been working on a hardware hack solution to the CEL from lack of an auto transmission. I already tried connecting some relays in the place of the missing solenoids and it did indeed eliminate those codes but the fuel injection map changed and it ran with less performance throughout the throttle range.

I've decided to see what effect the milti-function transmission range switch (that's a moutful) has on the EFI map. So, the first thing I had to do was map out the different connections that happen in the switch when it's in P,R,N,D,3,2,1 positions.

We currently have a EV at the shop with the 01P trans that's in for service on the trans cooler. I had it on my lift Friday and took the opportunity to probe the switch and come up with a map of the switch positions.

The plan on MY van is to emulate the switch positions by using jumper wires at the connector then drive the vehicle and note the changes in throttle response and performance. What I'm after is finding the optimal setting for all around driving.

Here's a map of the milti-function transmission range switch showing the pin connections in all positions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

My hardware hack did the trick!! 😜
This relay array, some jumpered pins, a couple resistors and the transmission control unit thinks the car is in drive, not running, vehicle powered up. NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!

I've put about 3 miles on it with no codes. Before it's would set a code before leaving the driveway.

I'll be posting the schematic and parts list in another thread.

[/img]
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Here's a schematic of the relay hack I did.

You need the transmission control unit harness connected to the TCU. The round plug that goes into the transmission gets cut off and the wires get connected to the relays as shown. The other connector for the multi-function switch that goes into the side of the transmission gets the jumper wire and the speed sensors get a resistor jumper on each one.

Install all of this, clear out codes and CEL should stay out.

The TCU is fooled into thinking that the car is in drive and powered up but not moving. Since it will always be "tricked" into this state, it should never set any codes.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

That is some serious science
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

The TCU is simply looking for some kind of resistance across the solenoids terminals and the ability to handle a 12 volt electrical load. The solenoids measure about 77 ohms with two a bit higher. An 88 ohm black 4 terminal relay is a good substitute across it's coil.

The speed sensors and temp sensor have a resistor that is within the value of the component it's replacing. Again, some kind of resistance but in this case with no load.

Jumpering the multi-function switch into drive mode takes care of the rest.

No more reason for setting a code. Razz
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Bravo, that is indeed uber level tinkering!

Certainly the Hack of the Week Very Happy
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Applause Applause
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I did another scan after the drive to work this morning. Shift lock solenoid showed up but that's not anything that will make the check engine light come on. Simple enough to take care of that by installing another relay on the shift lock solenoid connector.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

You could compact that with a bank of 90 ohm resistors, 0.5 wattpower rating would be well overrated.

Bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well get some now.
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

That's awesome. Great work.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You could compact that with a bank of 90 ohm resistors, 0.5 wattpower rating would be well overrated.

Bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well get some now.

I tried large high watt power resistors, aluminum housing to dissipate heat. Some stay powered all the time. They get VERY (like 350F +) HOT!!!

So, relays. Built to stay on for long periods of time and they get slightly warm.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I've been trying jumper wire configurations on the multi-function switch. So basically trying a setting in D, 3,2,1 and see if there is any difference in performance. Seat of the pants says a bit more early throttle response in 2,1 compared to D.

I need to set up a switch so I can try 3 vs 1 with Torque running on my phone to monitor throttle, AF, etc. That will help determine if there really is a difference in engine mapping in each gear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: