Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALEX-P76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

I've got 2 pairs of really nice Fuchs left over from my old 911 and wanted to fit a pair on the back of my '66 bus when it gets IRS'd, but they are a wide wheel.

Does anyone know if it's possible or been done without 'surgery'? I had a bit of a search on here and found narrower wheels fitted but didn't see these.
My wheels are:

9 x 16 ET15 and/or 8 X 16 ET23.3

Ideally one pair would go on the rear and I'd probably have to get a new pair of 6 or 7 x 16 for the front.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

Maybe when you go IRS you could either get a narrowed kit or build it yourself ? No body mods then.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

No way. My 64 is IRS and I have 5.5" wide 15's with 255 tires.
1/2" Clearance-barely. I modded the smoothies with an inner / deeper off-set to get bigger tires underneath the bus, not outside.
Even IF you shortened the IRS, you could not fit 9's, OR !
cut the body round and have them stick-out like HillBilly Formula 1 ! Baddass !

I can't imagine pulling a 9" rim with matching tires in a bus, that's twice as wide as the stock wheel.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
1/2" Clearance-barely. I modded the smoothies with an inner / deeper off-set to get bigger tires underneath the bus, not outside.

I can't imagine pulling a 9" rim with matching tires in a bus, that's twice as wide as the stock wheel.

maybe putting the 8 inch fronts on the back? i want to say i have seen pictures of 8s on a lowered straight axle bus with narrowed torsions.

from what i can see you can go as narrow as a 225 on an 8 inch rim.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

I’ll do some mag digging. There was a mouse gray and white bus with huge rear Fuchs. I was an older printing of hot VW I believe
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

The issue is the offset needs to be late Porsche wheels, 50+ e.t.
I did an early version of my build using Wagonswest I.R.S. kit and 944 steel arms. I think the widest wheel tire combo I got to fit without any welding or cutting was a e.t. 55 8" with a 225 tire.
The early 944 aluminum arms have the same overall width and the bonus is the 4 piston Brembos. also stock 944 axles bolt up when you swap out the vw transaxle with Trekker output flanges.
Check out my build in readers rides "Porsche powered mid engine double cab"
Also the lowered bus wheel and tire spec thread has lots of info.
Stephen
ALEX-P76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

maybe putting the 8 inch fronts on the back? i want to say i have seen pictures of 8s on a lowered straight axle bus with narrowed torsions.

from what i can see you can go as narrow as a 225 on an 8 inch rim.

Yes, I think the 9's may be too big for the back so possibly try the 8's and yes, you certainly can fit a 225 tyre
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALEX-P76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
The issue is the offset needs to be late Porsche wheels, 50+ e.t.
I did an early version of my build using Wagonswest I.R.S. kit and 944 steel arms. I think the widest wheel tire combo I got to fit without any welding or cutting was a e.t. 55 8" with a 225 tire.
The early 944 aluminum arms have the same overall width and the bonus is the 4 piston Brembos. also stock 944 axles bolt up when you swap out the vw transaxle with Trekker output flanges.
Check out my build in readers rides "Porsche powered mid engine double cab"
Also the lowered bus wheel and tire spec thread has lots of info.
Stephen

Yes, exactly this. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with 944 rear arms as I also have a set of 964 front and rear Brembo calipers that would be nice to fit.
I'll grab a beer this evening and read through your thread thanks. The wheel & tyre thread is good but it's a bit of a monster right!!
ALEX-P76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

type4split wrote:
I’ll do some mag digging. There was a mouse gray and white bus with huge rear Fuchs. I was an older printing of hot VW I believe

Thanks, I have come across a couple of 8 inch Fuchs threads but not 9 so maybe it's not possible. The problem with a lot of Porsche wheels is the large offset gives no dish and I like a dish!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577973&highlight=inch+fuchs
ALEX-P76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Maybe when you go IRS you could either get a narrowed kit or build it yourself ? No body mods then.

That's what I want. Suspension mods fine but I'm not looking to mod the body.
I'm also looking to go down the EJ20/EJ25 route that you look to have taken. Everybody over here says go N/A though. I'm trying to figure out how reckless to be!! I'll have have a read of your thread - Is there details of the fuel tank as I believe that needs either relocating or raising or modding?
ALEX-P76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting wide Fuchs - Is it possible? Reply with quote

Quick progress update - I've now refreshed my front suspension, IRS'd the rear and fitted Wilwood disk kit up front and Golf disk kit at the rear.
I was lazy and got the IRS kit at the rear fitted for me as I didn't fancy getting it wrong and in reality it probably falls into the 'beyond my skillset' category of jobs!
This means I now get to mess around fitting wheels. What I have ended up with is:

A pair of 7x16" Fuchs with ET23.3, backspace of 112 and 205/55/16 tyres (black centres)
A pair of 8x16" Fuchs with ET23.3, backspace of 120 and 225/50/16 tyres
A pair of 9x16" Fuchs with ET15.0, backspace of 130 and 245/45/16 tyres

All of the wheels fit on the front no problem. At the rear:
The 9's are not going to happen. Full stop! The backspace clashes with the spring plates and the outside face/tyre won't clear the arch.
The 7's fit fine. The backspace allows minimal clearance to the spring plates and there is clearance to the arch.
The backspace of the 8's clashed with the spring plate so I fitted two M16 washers to space it out replicating wheel spacers. The washers measured 5.75mm thick and this gave enough just clearance to the spring plates. I think that 5mm spacers will get the wheels as far inboard as they will go.
The 225 tyre was level with the outside of the arch and the arch measured approximately 15mm so even if I dropped down to 205 tyres on the 8's I still think I am a few mm away from getting the 8's to fit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: