Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No spark
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Ok so I’ve installed a new ignition coil, and the car will crank but not start. And there is an odor of gas after cranking it a few times. Any ideas??
1997 Jetta "the red car"
2001 Jetta 1.8 "the blue car"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

With the new coil installed, have you rechecked to see if you're now getting spark from the coil when you crank it?
Have you tried swapping out the coil's center lead with one of the plug leads to see if that makes a difference in getting spark from the coil?
Have you checked your wire connections at the coil where the distributor ignition module attaches?
Quote:
Ok with the ignition on, at the black wire to the ignition coil I have 12.19 volts.

What does the voltage to the coil show as while you are cranking the engine?
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Ok still no spark from the coil. I’m at a complete loss.
1997 Jetta "the red car"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
Ok still no spark from the coil. I’m at a complete loss.

Start working down the list then.
- Check the voltage present at the coil while cranking the engine. Electronic ignition modules don't work when supply voltage is too low.
- Recheck your wire connections at the coil. Are they tight? Are they on the correct terminals?
- Pull the center coil lead out and stick in one of the spark plug leads then recheck for spark from the coil. Coil high tension leads do fail sometimes.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Voltage to the coil while cranking is 13.5 volts
1997 Jetta "the red car"
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

OP,
Do you have another distributor you can install?
Just to eliminate the electronic module, that may be causing the no spark issue?

Even if the distributor is from say, a bus.
All you're trying to do is prove that the ignition module is either working or not.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
Ok so I’ve installed a new ignition coil, and the car will crank but not start. And there is an odor of gas after cranking it a few times. Any ideas??

YES!

Pruneman99 wrote:
1966type1 wrote:
It’s a brand new distributor, and I believe it’s electronic ignition.

OK, did you put a distributor with points in to rule out the electronic ignition?

If you never got a bad electronic part out of the box, I'd be surprised.

Electronic ignitions either work, or they don't. There is no in between.

I'd bet a doughnut, your new ignition is the problem.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
1966type1 wrote:

YES!

Pruneman99 wrote:
1966type1 wrote:
It’s a brand new distributor, and I believe it’s electronic ignition.

OK, did you put a distributor with points in to rule out the electronic ignition?

If you never got a bad electronic part out of the box, I'd be surprised.

Electronic ignitions either work, or they don't. There is no in between.

I'd bet a doughnut, your new ignition is the problem.

Well I guess you owe me a donught. A second new ignition coil and still no spark coming from it with brand new plugs wires. Could the voltage regulator be the problem? I see no Lose connections anywhere?
1997 Jetta "the red car"
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Ok, so I rechecked the volts at the ignition wire, with it disconnected from the coil, and the ignition on. Before I had 13.5 volts, now checking it I have 26.5 volts!! Could a voltage regulator be the problem. I’m at a complete loss at this point and don’t know which direction to go. Again I’m not mechanic and need very simple basic instructions, lol
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about the coil. I was talking about the electronic ignition module.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I wasn't talking about the coil. I was talking about the electronic ignition module.

Ok I misunderstood, I will check that now.
1997 Jetta "the red car"
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

So the ignition has power but what I did notice is that there is no power from the voltage regulator, while cranking the car over. I’ve posted a picture the large wire on the top right of the voltage regulator has no power. Not sure if it’s supposed to or not tho.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1997 Jetta "the red car"
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

BUMP
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Dude. Go to NAPA, get a set of points and a condenser and quit chasing your tail.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Dude. Go to NAPA, get a set of points and a condenser and quit chasing your tail.

I’ll try it but seeing how I’ve tried a new distributor, and then a known working one from my bus and neither work i don’t see what this would do!!
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

1966type1 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

I’ll try it but seeing how I’ve tried a new distributor, and then a known working one from my bus and neither work i don’t see what this would do!!

OK unless you totally left that out, I don't see where you said you tried another known good distributor.

Are you sure you're getting it hooked up right? Is the drive at the bottom of the distributor engaged in the slot? If you take off the distributor cap, can you spin the rotor with your hand?

Is there a rotor in there? I've forgotten more than once.

Take a picture of the distributor, coil, and connections at the coil and carb. You may be missing something easy, and just not seeing it.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
1966type1 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

OK unless you totally left that out, I don't see where you said you tried another known good distributor.

Are you sure you're getting it hooked up right? Is the drive at the bottom of the distributor engaged in the slot? If you take off the distributor cap, can you spin the rotor with your hand?

Is there a rotor in there? I've forgotten more than once.

Take a picture of the distributor, coil, and connections at the coil and carb. You may be missing something easy, and just not seeing it.

Ok so I may have left that out with all I’ve been trying, I took the cap off and can not spin the rotor by hand. I’ve attached a few pics of the set up. Charging my battery now as it has died with all the attempts to start the ol girl.

1997 Jetta "the red car"
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

If you can't spin the rotor that's good. That means it's engaged correctly.

The wiring *looks* correct as far as I can track the wires from the pictures.

I see you are using another electronic ignition module. Have you ever hooked it up backwards? Doing so even once can fry them if they don't have the polarity protection, most don't.

You said you have power to the coil when the key is in the run position right? How about when the engine is cranking? They are different contacts in the ignition switch (key).

Honestly, I hate those electronic ignitions. When they crap out, that's it.

Take a picture with the distributor cap off..

I still recommend a set of points and condenser even if you use it as test equipment, and prefer to use the petronix in the end.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

Maybe unplug the choke element for a minute. That goop on there doesn't give me confidence it's not shorting out the entire works.
1966type1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark Reply with quote

“I still recommend a set of points and condenser even if you use it as test equipment, and prefer to use the petronix in the end.“

Can I use points and condenser in this type of distributor? I’m to the point where I’m going to end up towing it to a shop and have it fixed.
1997 Jetta "the red car"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: