Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Securing relays in the front trunk
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

Replaced the wiring harness in our 1974 KG Coupe. Looking for a practical way to pin down a couple relays - headlight, horn... They are loose right now. Not a show car and not worried about looking stock. Just thought there might be some clever ideas out there to secure them safely.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

use ones that have a mounting tab and just fabricate something to mount them to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

By using the somewhat stock location, I made the relay holder into an extra ground for the front lights & turn signals. Never underestimate the importance of grounds Laughing

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

I used the same type of relay and used a zip tie to loosely secure it to the front latch tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

Quote:
pin down a couple relays

Not being a big fan of stock brass quick-disconnect ends I did this to keep my 'relays' in the same place and still easy to wire up in my '72. Just used ty-wraps (zip ties) thru the 'holes' for the old brass connectors and strapped them down including the horn relay.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
... a practical way to pin down a couple [of] relays

I found that interlocking sockets with harnesses simplify the attachment and the wiring (https://www.delcity.net/store/Relay-&-Socket-Harness-Kit/p_72563.h_72767)

Craigbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Sofia74 wrote:

I found that interlocking sockets with harnesses simplify the attachment and the wiring (https://www.delcity.net/store/Relay-&-Socket-Harness-Kit/p_72563.h_72767)

Very sharp setup!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Sofia74 wrote:

any photo of the headlight 'flasher' or turn signal 'controller' wiring? these look like Normally Open cube relays controlling the parking lights. The link goes to that type of relay too
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
any photo of the headlight 'flasher' or turn signal 'controller' wiring? these look like Normally Open cube relays controlling the parking lights. The link goes to that type of relay too
I don't have photos of those relays, but mine are stock and attached at their original positions on the nearby upright via the clips spot welded to their tops (e.g., like the clip on this one https://www.jbugs.com/product/111941583.html).
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

Quote:
mine are stock and attached at their original positions on the nearby upright via the clips

OP Ghia is a '74. Original position is not with clips on an upright. They look similar to this

VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

I used a piece of scrap plexiglass.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
OP Ghia is a '74. Original position is not with clips on an upright.
Okay, I'll second your suggestion for the OP to use zip-ties.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing relays in the front trunk Reply with quote

OP here: My original 1974 fuse block had uprights where the relays attached. No longer an option. I’ve seen Velcro attachment to the floor of the front trunk and zip ties to the uprights. Good options. I’ll figure it out.

Coincidentally, I took delivery of new horns and they came with a new relay with a tab. That takes care of one relay. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: