Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

New purchase, new hobby. First adjusted the valves & points, both were off, and she runs much better. Despite not necessarily or knowing if it needed it, I am going through the process of tuning it so next was set the timing. This did not work well; I have a 009 cap so I did it 7.5 degrees off FDC like the instructions go and she ran way worse. Tried adjusting it several times and no luck. I ended up adjusting the Distributor until it ran the best I could manage. So basically I am not able to perform a proper timing which is not something I wish to resolve to. Also, since I was doing this in order I have not yet adjusted the carburetor or plug gaps, so it is possible this is a factor but I thought it best for a rookie like me to be methodical in understanding the changes to my adjustments one by one. Thoughts and guidance would be helpful. My next step was to at least check the plugs and adjust the carburetor, perhaps then come back to timing to see if it works then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Before you set the timing you must first adjust the point gap/dwell. Stock point gap is 0.016" (max) or 44~50deg dwell (new points). Changing the gap/dwell directly impacts timing so it must be done before you attempt to set timing.

Adjust the timing based on the model of the distributor installed. There is a high possibility you are no longer running the distributor that the car left the factory with so don't assume the stock timing is correct until you confirm the model of your distributor.
Many late model distributor used the same distributor cap as the OO9, but this does not mean you have an OO9 distributor nor should you set your timing based on 7.5BTDC. Look for the make/model number stamped into the body of the distributor. OE distributor will usually have VW as well as Bosch part numbers stamped into the body.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look these numbers up here to find the specs for parts and tuning.

If you have a distributor with a mechanical advance (aka centrifugal advance) you can opt to set the max total advance (initial + mechanical) so it maxes out to 28-32BTDC. This is done with all vacuum advance hoses disconnected and plugged. This is the max safe timing advance based on rpm (mechanical advance). Rev the engine until the timing no longer advances and set it to 28BTDC. You can tweak it up a few degrees from there. If it starts to ping/pre-ignite under load you can back it down.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks I'll do a little more research on the distributor first, and come back to this. It does not have the vacuum assist, it has JF4 prominently stamped (if that helps). Also, I did set the valve and point gaps first, and those weeks certainly helped. Lastly, based on what I have read so far I may need to finish the process with a carb adjustment. Meaning, if I set timing correctly she still may run rough until I adjust the carburetor to the new settings. Does that sound right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Superbj wrote:
Lastly, based on what I have read so far I may need to finish the process with a carb adjustment. Meaning, if I set timing correctly she still may run rough until I adjust the carburetor to the new settings. Does that sound right?

Correct. You’ll need to find what the correct number of turns out will get you started then fine tune from there, usually 2.5- 3 turns out, but depends on which carb you are running.

So far you are working in a logical fashion, or at least, how I would approach it.
0.016 gap will get you started, then you can fine tune the dwell once started and running.

You should at least clean your plugs for this process, unless you decide to change them, and ensure your wires are making good connections to the plugs and distributor cap, making sure they are going to the correct locations.
It is advisable that you remove and install plugs when engine is cold, to reduce the chance of damaging the threads in the heads.

You will also want to ensure you have no vacuum leaks in the intake system.

Good Luck

Last edited by OTTO 1303 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Distributor is German made 009 with stamped 0 231 178 009. So I think these combined with the 34Pict/3 carburetor is the timing I should target. Generally available information I believe says the 7.5 advance, but I also read this is not consistent between individual distributors. So I guess that boils down to this question. Should I set the timing 'by the book' with the advance even though it runs rough, then immediately adjust the carburetor to get the engine running properly and even things out? Or, do I set the timing to the way the engine likes it the best first (independently), and not assume the follow-on carburetor adjustment will fix imperfections?
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

@superbj

Set timing for distributor model.
Test & ensure vacuum canister is working.

Gap points
Set timing
Set idle speed & air/fuel (back, forth-back, forth)
... after fully warmed

My 1776cc, Engle 110 prefers a tiny bit more point gap. Yours will vary.

Remember - point gap affects timing. There is a sweet spot & will change as points wear down (typically).

Good luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

You want to set the timing at full advance, not idle. So rev the engine until the distributor is at full advance. Set the timing at 28-30 degrees BTDC. Let the idle timing fall wherever it falls.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Superbj wrote:
Distributor is German made 009 with stamped 0 231 178 009.

So it has "BOSCH" and/or "GERMANY" embossing on the underside like the pics below? The German made OO9s are considered good quality. The later ones made outside of Germany by Bosch are still okay. The non-Bosch clones made after that are hit/miss for their quality control. If labeled "BOSCH" but not "GERMANY" then it may have been made in a Bosch factory outside of Germany (eg. Italy or Mexico). I ask because I have never seen a German OO9 as they are no longer made and hard to find.

Superbj wrote:
So I think these combined with the 34Pict/3 carburetor is the timing I should target. Generally available information I believe says the 7.5 advance, but I also read this is not consistent between individual distributors. So I guess that boils down to this question. Should I set the timing 'by the book' with the advance even though it runs rough, then immediately adjust the carburetor to get the engine running properly and even things out? Or, do I set the timing to the way the engine likes it the best first (independently), and not assume the follow-on carburetor adjustment will fix imperfections?

Just to be clear, the OO9 distributor was never installed by VW in any vehicle. The OO9 is typically an industrial distributor meant for engines used for generators and air compressors. These run at a constant RPM and so need some timing advance based on RPM but does not need to handle changing RPMs like would be experienced while driving. This makes the OO9 less than ideal for automotive use. It works well for race engines which operate at high RPMs at full advance or at idle. They are popular because they are easy to find and cheap, not because they operate well in cars.
The 34Pict-3 carb is probably the worst match for a OO9 distributor as the carb was designed to meet emissions so runs as lean as possible. These carbs were designed specifically to work with SVDA or DVDA distributors that use vacuum advance connected to ported vacuum. The SVDA/DVDA distributors spike the vacuum advance timing 8-12deg just as the throttle is opened from idle to give a power boost needed because the carb mixture is so lean. The OO9 only advances based on RPMs. The RPM difference between idle and off idle is so small the mechanical advance in the OO9 provides very little (<7deg) additional timing advance at these low rpms. The result is a hesitation just off idle that often cannot be tuned out. But go ahead and see what you can do but my advice if you want to keep the 34Pict-3 carb is to find a matching SVDA distributor that matches the carb.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I decided to order an SVDA distributor for the proper pairing with carb, I am also going to be putting in new plugs (AC Delco were installed) and a new coil (old unlabeled black one). With these new parts I will run through the process again knowing I have the right components. Great information on this forum, I really appreciate the guidance.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Where did you order the distributor from? Sparxwerks or other? Which SVDA did you order? What exact brand of 34-3 carburetor do you have? What are the numbers on the base of carburetor? Did you order a resin filled or an oil filled coil?
What timing marks do you have on your crankshaft pulley?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
So it has "BOSCH" and/or "GERMANY" embossing on the underside like the pics below? The German made OO9s are considered good quality. The later ones made outside of Germany by Bosch are still okay. The non-Bosch clones made after that are hit/miss for their quality control. If labeled "BOSCH" but not "GERMANY" then it may have been made in a Bosch factory outside of Germany (eg. Italy or Mexico). I ask because I have never seen a German OO9 as they are no longer made and hard to find.

I run vintage German-made 009 distributors in both my VWs. They each say "Germany" on their underside and were purchased in 1976 and approximately 1980 from CB/Claude's Buggies. One is matched with the single Weber 40DCNF on my 1835cc DP engine, and the other on my 1600cc DP engine with Solex 30/31PICT on an adapter for the DP center section.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I have not pushed the 'order' button yet, but based on availability it looks like the Petronix SVDA (D186504) would be suitable choice for distributor. I have the Solex 34Pict3 carburetor, is there something more specific than that? Unless I am missing something this is a good pairing. I also ordered a Bosch 3.0 ohm coil.
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Sorry I missed a couple of other details per the questions. In addition to Solex,34Pict3, the carb also says Made in Germany. On the bottom right there are numbers B2 236. On the coil I ordered, it was the Bosch expoxy filled that says compatible with Petronix
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Superbj wrote:
I have not pushed the 'order' button yet, but based on availability it looks like the Petronix SVDA (D186504) would be suitable choice for distributor. I have the Solex 34Pict3 carburetor, is there something more specific than that? Unless I am missing something this is a good pairing. I also ordered a Bosch 3.0 ohm coil.

Contact this seller.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2493652
Buy once, Cry once!

The Petroninics 034's have been nothing but a real PITA.
Bill restored Bosch distributors. That pair perfectly with the 34 PICT 3 carb.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Gosh, I did order the coil but it says 'backordered' until 2023 so I guess I am back to square one as far as what to purchase.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Superbj wrote:
Gosh, I did order the coil but it says 'backordered' until 2023 so I guess I am back to square one as far as what to purchase.

Before you start buying stuff. Figure out exactly what way you want to go. All OEM like original or mix and match. This way you can pair everything up. It’s not necessary all of the time but if I was going Pertronix I’d buy their coil.

Should you want a good quality Bosch coil. Bus Depot should have one. I use them. Boy have they gone up in price
Shocked

https://www.busdepot.com/043905115c/

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Here is a link to the different pulleys.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251672

Carburetor and distributor information.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Superbj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I am going to go for the OEM parts the best I can. Per the advice from this board I am contacting Bill at Sparxwerks for a rebuilt Bosch distributor and Bus Depot for a Blue Coil. When I bought the bug the old original parts that were replaced were in the trunk. I have the original Distributor which should ensure i get the right one, and per the website Bill may be able to use this for another rebuild.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

Without a picture of your engine compartment I’m not sure what the PO may have done.
Here is a picture of my 74 if you need to reference. Yours should look the same except for that silly aftermarket chrome pulley nut Cool Laughing
You will need a “Shepherds Crook” that’s the metal pipe connected to the vacuum can with rubber hose. It keeps fuel from dripping from the carb to the vacuum can eating away the rubber diaphragm. You can make a loop up top near the carb with just the hose but looks jank. Hopefully the PO left you the crook in the box of parts. Easy to make one if you need. Hell I might have an extra.

Edit: The coil is the orginal from 1974. Works fine. I have a blue coil in there currently and will switch it out after I touch up the black paint.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing problems with new (unrestored) 73 Super Beetle Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my beetle when I started working on it 14 years ago on my 1973 standard (I was 15 so bear with me).
It had a Brosol H30/31 carburetor and a 009 centrifugal advanced distributor. With that combo, timing was set to 32° full advanced and idle timing just sat where it sat.
I later exchanged the carburetor for a German 34-3 with a 410-1 code and paired it with an Aircooled.net 034 distributor with points and then set the timing to 7.5° BTDC at idle with the carb plugged and the car has been a daily driver with over 100,000 miles without issue. Going from sea level in Seattle to 6,000ft in Colorado, now to 110° and 2,000ft in Central Texas.
Finding the right pair for carb and distributor is imperative for a happy car.

1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: