Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lone Star Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

Yes, I know there are dozens of posts about this, but there is almost always a caveat or discovery that leads to more or different questions. I'm looking for Marina Blue L 54 D paint for small chips.

Paintscratch.com doesn't even show the color for 1972 ( https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/select-color.cgi ) but it does for 1974. It's L 54 D so I assume it's the same. I'll likely go with them.

Anyone familiar with paint2fix.com? They offer a kit. I searched for paint2fix on Samba and found no references.

Touchupdirect.com doesn't appear to have the color.

Edit: Also automotivetouchup.com seems to carry it.

After preparing the chipped spots, from that point, how necessary is it to use the components some kits have (wax, maybe sealant)? Or will just dabbing the paint be sufficient? I don't show my car or anything like that, just want to do my due diligence to keep it nice.

Lastly, I have a OLD bottle of Lackstift touch-up paint that came with the car! Nice memorabilia... that I though would be dry. It's actually still wet in the bottle, but even after digging around in bottle, the brush only comes out black. I'm assuming this is normal after 50 years.

“There is very little difference between one man and another; but what little there is, is very important.” Henry James
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

eBay.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

I mixed my own using a blend of rustoleum duck egg blue and a little bit approx.10 per cent of cobalt blue. Not ideal but widely available, it will fade in sunlight very quick without a clear coat or lacquer to protect it.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

Modern paint shops require a RAL code number to mix paint,
I would also love to know what other codes there are for L54D marinablau!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

I have used AutomotiveTouchup on three different cars. Their stuff is always spot on.

The key to dabbing it on is to use thin coats. Two will usually do, but sometimes three. Although, the paint is thick enough to go on as a single coat.

If you have a clear coat, you need to top it off with their clear coat.

I start with a dab of their primer, then a coat or two of paint. Each repair requires that the area be free of ax, dirt, oil, etc. Otherwise, it won't stick.

They also carry spray cans for larger touchups. I just bought some for my 1999 Ford Ranger, but haven't used it yet, due to the hot days here.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

+1 https://www.automotivetouchup.com
Lone Star Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the automotivetouchup and see how it goes.

“There is very little difference between one man and another; but what little there is, is very important.” Henry James
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another Touch Up Paint Inquiry Reply with quote

After some trial & error in the past:

I agree with Tim -
clean, prime, dab paint to fill, then polishing compound (by hand) has netted acceptable results. I had to wet sand a couple with 800 then 1200 grit but I have OCD.
Always give ample drying time for all steps.

Good luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: