Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billfromheritage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Total newbie here. My brother-in-law has several type 4 bus motors from which he said he would help me rebuild one for my bug which has a 1974 pan. I am looking to buy a rebuilt tranny that will fit in this and will work with this engine. I know there must be thousands of variations for this. I am just trying to create a reliable “daily driver”. What would be a reliable combo of tranny, mount, nose cone etc to make this happen? Also, I am planning on getting a DTM kit for this.
Thanks in advance!
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Just use the bug transmission. The stock 210mm or 215mm pressure plate and bus flywheel drop in no problem. The 228mm pressure plate more likely than not needs the inside of the bellhousing clearanced near the starter to fit, but it can be done. You need to move the pilot bearing though. Get a small bearing puller and pop that sucker out of the crankshaft. Don’t bother saving it, it’s old and worn. Get a new one and press it into the center of the flywheel, same way the Porsche 914 type 4 engines are set up. You need to do this to support the bug transmission input shaft.

As far as engine reliability, if it is from a bus, trash the big dished low compression pistons. Don’t use a head gasket. Shoot for 0.030” - 0.040” deck height. Error towards 0.040 if you are unsure of the main bearing clearance or if you are in anyway unsure about your measuring capabilities. The resulting higher compression from the smaller deck and not using bus pistons will help tremendously. You can easy go up from 7.4:1 all the way to 8:1 pretty easily. Counterintuitive, but it will run cooler. The 7.3:1 was a bad match for those bus engines… The mixture burns a lot better as a result of those two changes alone. VE really screwed up the T4 engines when they detuned them for the bus… basically ruined it. Hot running inefficient lumps, the lot of them.

T4 engines are wonderful. Enjoy!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Billfromheritage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it!
Billfromheritage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Hi welcome !!

Years ago when I built my first Upright Conversion. I did not know
Vanapplebomb. Most likely a young kid and living in Belgium, was not exactly close to The Bronx NY.

I wish I did, after reading what he said for you to do with your engine.

I made a lot of mistakes but he T-4 engine is very forgiving, Unlike the T-1.

When done you will be extremely happy.

After a few test drives, you many want to think about t getting disc front brakes.

Best regard,
Joe Cali
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Billfromheritage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Hi Joe. Thanks for that. I actually am doing a ground up resto. The chassis is almost done and, yes, it has front disc brakes. I am so glad that everyone in this community is willing to share their knowledge and experience.
Thanks again!
Billfromheritage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb-Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to supply part numbers or manufacturers of said recommended pistons. Again, I know that there is probably thousands of combinations of set ups, but a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Bill
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Anything you ever wanted to know about the type 4 can be found searching here—>
https://shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=4dfcadd53c16f61dc0249cfc68d9a835

What’s That Noise?!?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Clatter is right that is were it all started.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

The center of the Bus flywheel will have to be machined a bit to accommodate the pilot bearing. The stock Bus fuel pump interferes with the rear Beetle transmission mount so you will have to switch to an electric fuel pump.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Electric fuel pumps are great, especially since you can put a on off switch it.

Keeps the carbs from crud build up .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 bus engine and 74 bug pan Reply with quote

Mine works good but I hate the racket it makes. It’s embarrassing sitting in traffic at the lights. Turns heads for sure. I get the “what the heck?” Look pretty regular from guys sitting beside me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: