Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Hatfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Any updates? I just purchased a 77 Transporter and the steering coupler is not looking healthy. Gotta buy something and would like to only do this once.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Paul Hatfield wrote:
Any updates? I just purchased a 77 Transporter and the steering coupler is not looking healthy. Gotta buy something and would like to only do this once.

who knows. Seems like every solution someone posts, someone else has a complaint about it. I might try this one but no guarantees. I got mine from OeVeeDub, same one that Richard sold to some members here and people complained, but it worked fine for me. Here is a shop known for quality parts. No idea where they get them.

https://www.csp-shop.de/vorderachse/hardyscheibe-415-417-211-21437a.html
Paul Hatfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply!
The coupler will go into my newly acquired bus. Originally blue, now Hippie Green. (L63M)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

someone early in the thread said they were happy with this one.

https://daftenclassic.com/shop/ols/products/steering-couplers/v/211415417
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The pictures they show are of two different couplers?????
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

There's 3 different products on that page. Viewers are supposed to pick the one they need.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

There's 3 different products on that page. Viewers are supposed to pick the one they need.

Okay, but it seems odd to do it that way though. Sad
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

the photos are by application
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I just found a source that claims to have SGF couplers and ordered two. When they come in I will let the forum know what I actually receive.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I just found a source that claims to have SGF couplers and ordered two. When they come in I will let the forum know what I actually receive.

what was per unit cost?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Skills found one too and they were for a bug / vanagon. It's earlier in the thread.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Skills found one too and they were for a bug / vanagon. It's earlier in the thread.

actually it was from a euro spec BMW but was sbug/vanagon sized

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

The photo of what is being sold shows the correct bus part number molded into the coupling. Will know more in a few days.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

for what it's worth, one vendor has couplers for $42, 2-4x the price elsewhere, so they must be good, right?

the nice-guy customer-service person went and got one for me, said it has "german" stamped on it (from a source in england). said he could wrap it around his finger. we agreed this was not adequate.

so, it can say "german" and still be junk.

another vendor said they had german couplers. said they only ordered from vw. i said i didn't know vw made these anymore (which, i believe is true), but he said, oh yes they do.

used to be able to trust people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
for what it's worth, one vendor has couplers for $42, 2-4x the price elsewhere, so they must be good, right?

the nice-guy customer-service person went and got one for me, said it has "german" stamped on it (from a source in england). said he could wrap it around his finger. we agreed this was not adequate.

so, it can say "german" and still be junk.

another vendor said they had german couplers. said they only ordered from vw. i said i didn't know vw made these anymore (which, i believe is true), but he said, oh yes they do.

used to be able to trust people.

probably their classic stuff. VW had multiple companies make those. They could be buying from the same company or any one of the vendors who is known to make reputable parts. That doesn't mean you will like how it feels. I got one from Richard Davies and it worked perfectly. Other folks didn't like them.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"]
dodger tom wrote:
probably their classic stuff. VW had multiple companies make those. They could be buying from the same company or any one of the vendors who is known to make reputable parts. That doesn't mean you will like how it feels. I got one from Richard Davies and it worked perfectly. Other folks didn't like them.

i checked vw classics at heritage, steve. no results. i know it could be oem, but i took the guy saying “we only buy german from vw as being bs or ignorance.” plus, unlike other sellers, he wasn’t interested in checking inventory to help gauge flexibility like wolfgang or wolfsburg west. i didn’t name the vendor cause my understanding is that that is frowned upon except in the feedback thread.

i posted these two examples in support of your and others’ posts about inferior parts.

i’ve been lucky so far for the most part, but i just learned that “german made” doesn’t necessarily mean quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

[quote="dodger tom"]
SGKent wrote:
dodger tom wrote:

i checked vw classics at heritage, steve. no results. i know it could be oem, but i took the guy saying “we only buy german from vw as being bs or ignorance.” plus, unlike other sellers, he wasn’t interested in checking inventory to help gauge flexibility like wolfgang or wolfsburg west. i didn’t name the vendor cause my understanding is that that is frowned upon except in the feedback thread.

i posted these two examples in support of your and others’ posts about inferior parts.

i’ve been lucky so far for the most part, but i just learned that “german made” doesn’t necessarily mean quality.

I agree with you. Years ago we found that reboxed in Germany was about the same as made in Germany when it came to parts being sold.
Bullshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

I can't really add anything to this thread that hasn't already been brought up and I certainly don't know enough about any of this to have a meaningful opinion, so I will just share a quick fold-test video of the current "OEM, Made in Germany" sold by CIP1.

After diving through this thread I decided to stick with the devil I know, and have yet to replace my extremely worn coupler since it has served me well for many, many miles (30,000+ in the 7 years I've had my van)

Photo of my current coupler..

Video of bending new coupler: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eb8pcs1I4Xo

I'm considering heading down to the Great Canadian VW weekend swap meet this Sunday to see about scoring myself some NOS, but I doubt I'll have any luck all things considered.

I don't personally believe the fold-test is the most apt way of determining the quality of this part, but I know virtually nothing about this stuff and won't pretend otherwise. Whatever I have installed at the moment has served me very well, whatever coupler it may be.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

Bullshift wrote:
"OEM, Made in Germany" sold by CIP1.

Every auto part I've ever gotten that had "OEM" written on it has been crap.
I've gotten a few OK parts from CIP1, but mostly not.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Disc 211415417 (coupler) Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Bullshift wrote:
"OEM, Made in Germany" sold by CIP1.

Every auto part I've ever gotten that had "OEM" written on it has been crap.
I've gotten a few OK parts from CIP1, but mostly not.

The one they are selling might actually be an original VW part.

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-211-415-417-gr/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 31

Jump to: