Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Piano Swivel seat modification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:
Nice Job SODO, Im happy someone else wants to replicate my piano hinge,

FYI I bought my bushings on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202956816805

Just in case that advertisement changes in the future, description is

"Steel Bushing, 1/2" OD x 1/4" ID, 2" long, CRS, DOM"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

Those barrels look kinda expensive.
I cut 1.25 inch sections of a thick wall pipe that I had in my junkpile.

Here's some on Amazon. They're 1/8" thick, which would weld reliably.
I see some with 1/16" wall, that could be dicey to weld.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YLWO0K

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
\Lyn-Tron, Steel, Zinc Plated Finish, 1/4" Screw Size, 1/2" OD, 0.252" ID, 3/16" Length (Pack of 5) for $11

You can boil the zinc off in a few quick seconds with Muriatic acid (available at any hardware store).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

Well done, very ingenious. Could you add a photo of the seat/lid fully closed and "locked"? Is the locking pin noticeable? Cheers.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
...The only thing I disagree with, that someone said MIG weld not strong enough.
Every weld you see, on the entire van is a MIG weld. MIG is good...

Assuming someone knows how to weld, MIG welds can be as strong or stronger than the base metal they are joining. I have both TIG and MIG and would choose TIG for a very different reason. TIG doesn't put out the sparks/splatter that MIG puts out. Any glass nearby (and there is quite a bit) will get little fisheyes in it if any splatter hits it. I also started a small fire in one Vanagon of mine when MIG welding in a swivel. One of the cloths I draped to prevent the splatter from hitting anything actually caught on fire from the splatter! Shocked Embarassed
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

"Flux-core wire feed" is often referred to as MIG.
It's not MIG. (Metal Inert Gas)
Flux-core must have 5x the spatter of a gas MIG.

TIG is so civilized. A tiny, quiet little orb that makes no spatter.
But MIG "gets it done". (a gas MIG)

I have a $20 glass-fiber welding blanket from Harbor Freight that I wrapped around the weld area to contain the spatter.
Spatter melts into glass and sticks hard.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:

upgrading my battery cables is only as good as the ground wire so that was upgraded also

Note that the upgrade can only be as good as the "unknown, aged, outdoor, daisy-chain of dissimilar metals". (the gearbox)

This type of ground path (aluminum-to-steel-to-magnesium-to-steel-to-magnesium-to-steel-to-magnesium-to-steel-to-copper) will inevitably degrade over time outdoors.
Typically only the groundstrap end is maintained, the upstream portion is not maintainable except perhaps by total gearbox disassembly,
and intentional reassembly 'as a fresh, but degradable groundpath'.
But who would do that?

Degradation can cause slow starting (perhaps intermittent), un-reliable diagnosis, because it's difficult to diagnose while replicating the high-current faults.
It should be understood that electricity using gearbox shafts in its rush to get to the fwd ground....
erodes precision rolling elements inside,
thus "protecting" the old gearbox from electricity with a direct starter ground is more sensible.
Deleting this ground and adding a dedicated, direct groundpath deletes all the possible problems listed above, in one simple operation.

These vans aren't ten-year-olds anymore.
Everyone with a ~35 year old gearbox should be bypassing the gearbox case groundpath.
Replacing the starter's groundpath with a direct cable could be a more certain solution to starting problems, than replacing the positive cable.

It makes similar sense to add a ground cable from the alternator case
direct to the van chassis.
When your two highest producer/consumers (starter, alternator) have guaranteed ground paths, thats half the battle to retrieve 'lost volts'.
And it reduces current demands on the other ground paths.

That’s 50% of the old-van-volts battle (with old-man-time)
The other 50% being the positive current path.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

The TL;DR of the above post is ground from the alternator to the chassis. Laughing
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
The TL;DR of the above post is ground from the alternator to the chassis. Laughing
Or better still - ground the starter directly to chassis, NOT via the transaxle. Or Sodo will come and sort you out... Wink
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
Or better still - ground the starter directly to chassis, NOT via the transaxle. Or Sodo will come and sort you out... Wink

This is a tough one, because most people seem to think that if VW put a fwd ground on the gearbox that its OK forever.
But it has so many totally valid strikes against it.
And so many vans have lost volts, slow starters and eroding gearboxes.
And its such an easy DIY.

It takes a good bit of explaining what has changed in 35 years and how it was OK on a new car but no longer OK for the antiquer.
Plus most people’s vans are starting OK (for now) and the gearboxes haven't ground to a halt.
This should be standard practice on every restoration.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

Change the axis and this becomes easy:

Link

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/seat-tilt-kit/

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

^^^ Neato!

Tilt-a-Seat is now available to the masses, not just the creative few who can create a piano hinge with a welder with their eyes closed.

I like it (but don't have a use for it yet b/c that space is currently occupied by stereo components now, although it would be nice to easily access the space for changes, etc.).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

That danged Puch-Finn feller who led us down the path of the side-lift.... !!!

Well I guess it depends what you put in there.
It's somewhat appealing to access the underseat storage from inside the cabin.
But currently I have jumper cables and outside stuff in there, so side lift works for me.

But a 'bolt on' kit is super-valuable for many owners.
Cutting the westy swivel out, is not simple for most people, but the tool can be a a $20 harbor-freight angle grinder.
And some angle-grinder 'skills" of course, which is 'not trivial'.

jimf909 wrote:
I like it (but don't have a use for it yet b/c that space is currently occupied by stereo components now, although it would be nice to easily access the space for changes, etc.).

Jim you could move your boom-boom-box to the driver seat and then you'd have this accessible storage.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Hmmm, if one had a swivel (cut out of a Westy) not yet installed in a non-Westy, would this be the ticket to a easy (and cool) install?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

Since my start battery is in the back, this will open the space up big time. Christmas list topper.
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

Link

Great work on swivel seat tilt.
If only I had swivel seats, I would get a set.
Something like that for Non swivel seats would be useful, especially when the seat does not slide in the track very well.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

Hmmm, if one had a swivel (cut out of a Westy) not yet installed in a non-Westy, would this be the ticket to a easy (and cool) install?

Using my kit would be on the whole easier than bolting down or welding in a swivel seat base, and it doesn't require drilling any new holes in the van itself, only the swivel base panel. I've just changed some of the parts to simplify manufacturing and installation, with now only 4 holes to drill in the base panel instead of six.

The pictures on my site and in the guide will still show the original version for a few more days, still gathering the media to update those things soon, but the newer parts are ready to order.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Piano Swivel seat modification Reply with quote

When I did my '87 it was a mad rush to get the van ready for a roadtrip and I just copied the design on my '90.
The differences between the '87 and '90 battery cover was not on my mind, and an ooopsy ensued.

The '90 battery cover door lifts off.
But the '87 has a hinged door, Evil or Very Mad and the danged hinged door won't open
when the seat is tipped to the side as in the pic above.

My seat hinge has 2 pins, so I can remove both pins (then the whole seat lifts free) but it's inelegant.

I suspect 10cent's van has a hinged battery door.
I'm inclined to re-weld the axis on my '87 to tip forward like the 10c config.

I'm pretty hooked on this mod, I use it more often than thought.
That 10cent kit being $75 ..... could be one of the better $75 you could spend on a van especially if your van has 'electrical mods'.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: