Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Back in November I came across a one owner 1968 Squareback that my brother towed to an auction yard. I went and looked at the car which was not running at the time covered in dirt and grime from sitting for 10 years. The car is quite complete, the only thing missing was the passenger side front fender trim. I spoke with the auction house owner and he hadnt planned on putting it up for auction due to it being a donation car and he didnt want to fix it up, needless to say I worked up a deal with him and purchased the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After getting it home I put a new battery in, all new fuel hose, and a working fuel pump just in time for a little outing to get a christmas tree. Cool

Does'nt she clean up nicely!? I'm super excited for this car. It seems to be almost all original as far as I can tell although there are no service records with the car but there was 5 boxes of parts. Speedometer read 53,XXX when I bought the car.

here's both my fasty and my square siting next to each other

Lucy (the fasty) is on hold for now as I don't have a place to do the body work on it and haven't tracked down the panels for repair
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Wow, you scored. Any interior pics? Photos of the engine? Looking forward to seeing more.
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Wow, you scored. Any interior pics? Photos of the engine? Looking forward to seeing more.

None yet more to come! been having too much fun on the weekends cruising around the neighborhood
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Yeah - post more pics - looks like a great survivor car
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Nice find!
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
Nice find!

Agreed. Really nice looking car. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

So I haven't gotten away from VW's, recently made trip down to LA in Marge for the La Invitational car and bicycle show hosted by The Cub House/Team Dream Team

The car ran pretty great on the way down got about 30mpg and only a coupe hills were a bit hard to get up. On the way back on the other hand it was troublesome with some crazy headwinds the car would only go about 50-55mph. Made it home in one piece which is good haha Laughing

This has sparked me to sell my Subaru and use the funds to put together a 1776 dual carb motor for Marge. Working with ken over at Jensen in Belmont at the moment

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Cool
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

beautiful Cool
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Wow, what a find! That sure is tidy…

I plan to ran the 1600 in our type 3 until something gives and probably go down the 1776 or 1904 route as well.
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

My fasty had a rebuilt 1600 with stock and it did just fine up most hills but man I really just want a bit more to not be slugging it up the steep stuff.

The square has had the same motor since I got it. Figured it’s time for a refresh and a bit more power. Had the old case from the fasty to start with so the square stays running till I can put in the 1776
joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

nice

1958 Beach Buggy
1966 Notchback
1966 Sunroof N Model notchback
1967 Kustom Fastback
1967 beetle bug
1968 Squareback
1971 Karmann Ghia convertible
1972 Dopplekabine 'doka'
1972 Microbus 'the Pretender'
1974 Westy tintop 'Joker's bus'

http://www.vwbusimports.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
So I haven't gotten away from VW's, recently made trip down to LA in Marge for the La Invitational car and bicycle show hosted by The Cub House/Team Dream Team

The car ran pretty great on the way down got about 30mpg and only a coupe hills were a bit hard to get up. On the way back on the other hand it was troublesome with some crazy headwinds the car would only go about 50-55mph. Made it home in one piece which is good haha Laughing

This has sparked me to sell my Subaru and use the funds to put together a 1776 dual carb motor for Marge. Working with ken over at Jensen in Belmont at the moment

Good to see you out and about enjoying her. That what these cars were designed to do...be driven. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Finally getting around to some good progress on the engine swap. I have the old one out and everything cleaned up in the engine bay to a point. Recently Got my engine tins back from Precision Powder in belmont. Working on getting the new block set up with all the bits and bobs.

Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

With the 1776 I plan to run dual 40 idf weber's, to supply fuel to these I purchased the Cb electric fuel pump as the car was previously FI and the mount up front should be able to house the new pump with minor modifications.

A question I have though, can I run the new fuel pump of the pre existing wiring for the FI fuel pump/will the current fuel pump relay operate the new fuel pump? If the fuel pump relay wont work I plan to use the revolution controller I've seen some use previously

https://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Electronics-Electric-Controller-Primes/dp/B00BNZ05JM

Another question I have regarding the full flow oil system I had ken plumb the inlet/outlet for. Is there a way to not have to modify the fan shroud to not hit the oil inlet? In other words a "less bulky" inlet? I was thinking something like this below

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3978.htm?CartID=1

Lastly I plan on just running an external oil filter at the moment. I've seen some for beetles that mount off the bumper bracket. This seems the least invasive vs drilling holes in the engine bay/fresh air intake tunnels. Although the beetle mounts seem like they would not work for the Type 3's orientation would be a bit off. I fully except having to likely make a mounting bracket for this

Aside from the bumper mount is there a better place to mount the oil filter on the type 3's? maybe off the engine some how?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

easiest thing is to get a piece of bar and drill holes for mounting in the bumper bolt holes. you can see mine mounted in the bottom left.
I since changed that to a L shaped bracket, so I wouldn't have to use 90's off the filter.
the wix 51068, or Mobil M1-204 short filters keep the filter from hanging way down there

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Cschenkel wrote:
With the 1776 I plan to run dual 40 idf weber's, to supply fuel to these I purchased the Cb electric fuel pump as the car was previously FI and the mount up front should be able to house the new pump with minor modifications.

A question I have though, can I run the new fuel pump of the pre existing wiring for the FI fuel pump/will the current fuel pump relay operate the new fuel pump? If the fuel pump relay wont work I plan to use the revolution controller I've seen some use previously

Personally I'd redirect some of the original FI wires and run them to the pump from the fuse box (key on circuit). I'd add an impact switch to the wiring as well. You could even install a toggle switch to turn off the pump (anti-theft) if you wanted. Keep in mind that you're swapping out a high pressure fuel pump for a low pressure one (for carbs). I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Cschenkel wrote:

Personally I'd redirect some of the original FI wires and run them to the pump from the fuse box (key on circuit). I'd add an impact switch to the wiring as well. You could even install a toggle switch to turn off the pump (anti-theft) if you wanted. Keep in mind that you're swapping out a high pressure fuel pump for a low pressure one (for carbs). I hope this helps.

Bob I’m assuming this setup would include keeping the brain + a partial harness for the FI in the car and just run new wires from the fuel pump relay under the dash to the new pump?
Cschenkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

Got some more progress on the square going. Mainly ordering parts and researching how/what to do.

Ordered the revolution fuel pump safety relay. seems like the simplest route to go with

As for the full flow system I was able to gain some room by rotating the inlet 90 so it points up. this should clear the fan shroud nicely. For the oil pump cover I decided to go for machining it a bit for clearance. I have some an fittings and hose on their way.

Before

After

Leaning towards mounting the oil filter off the exhaust studs and having it extend just out past the engine tin. I've seen the fast fab mount that I could make a plate to extend to where I need to but I'm also thinking of just making a mount out of one piece so there are less nuts and bolts and less things to go wrong.

I've also seen an engine hanger hacked up to mount the oil filter off of. seems a bit overkill but also pretty slick not having it mount off the exhaust or bumper/using existing stock mounting holes
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Magnificent Marge"-1968 Squareback Reply with quote

It looks like your engine case is a later model (has the hanger bosses cast into the case), which would allow you to cut an engine hanger down and allow you to mount an oil filter bracket of it. John J. did this on his 66 Square, and it means that when pulling the engine, the filter and lines stay with the engine (pretty slick). By not mounting the "oil filter adapter bracket" off the exhaust studs, you help keep the oil filter cooler, as the exhaust heat is kept out of the system. Just something to think about. I think John split a hanger in half for his set up, but it's been a while since I saw his engine in person.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: