Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggested DP Heads for a 1600
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crashly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Hello everybody I have been researching DP heads for my 74 Thing for a couple of months. One of my intake valves is allowing air to come back into the intake so it either has a crack or a bad seat. My motor is pretty much stock with a 32/36 and a aftermarket exhaust. I have a set of dual solex carbs that I may install later and I may build the motor up a little larger in the future (2110). For the time being can anybody recommend any affordable DP heads. I have seen the offerings from EMPI, MOFCO and AA in the 500-600 range. Can anybody share some their thoughts or suggestions for a set of DP heads that can be opened up at a later date?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

So you want a head that works for a stock 1600 and a 2110 in the future?

No such thing.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

The "opening up" of existing castings will cost more then buying a 2nd set already done.

Buy some AA basic heads for your stock engine, then get some CB heads when you wanna go fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crashly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Copy that.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

What works properly and is most efficient (best power and mileage) on a 1600 ain't gonna cut it on a higher revving 2 liter+ engine. The guys above are giving you the best advice- buy some stock replacement heads for your 1600, and when the time comes look at ported, big valve heads for the size and rpm range of what you're building. You'll have the added benefit of the stocker under the bench as a back up if something happens to your 'beast'.
Hope this helps. Al
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Pull your stock heads off and see what the problem is. They might just need to have the seats re-cut and the exhaust valves replaced.

More realistically, they are also cracked from the plug hole to the seat, just like 85% of used OE dual port heads.

If they are not cracked, clean up the valve bowls, replace the guides, get the seats cut, and replace the exhaust valves, and they will be good to go. This will be good engine building practice for when you decided to build a bigger engine.

If they are cracked, buy some new 35x32 aa500 heads. Clean up the valve bowls, and have the seats cut. This will get you a ways ahead power wise, and they are very durable. Bummer part is they are out of stock most everywhere.

Brian
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

I got a set of NEW 40x35.5 heads that got abandoned - owed money on them from the work.

Ported/polished, 3-angles, bored 90.5mm, cut for dual springs S/S valves, Berg dual springs/retainers. These heads be good for 2110cc -

I will let them go cheap - PM me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
PM me

PM (him/her/they) Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buckswilde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
nsracing wrote:
PM me

PM (him/her/they) Wink

???
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

buckswilde wrote:
Glenn wrote:
nsracing wrote:
PM me

PM (him/her/they) Wink

???

Glenn wants 'all inclusive and tolerant -like' = gender neutered. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

I swear by those chinese heads at carcraft. They're on my 1776 which runs like a top. And everyone I've turned onto them have had excellent results.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

IDK why folks dont like rebuilding german heads.

Inspect for cracks and warping
flycut
replace guides
cut seats
assemble
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

flycut
replace guides
cut seats
assemble

I have rebuilt a pile of german heads. Then the pile started to dry up because 85% of used DP heads are cracked, blown out, or have some other hidden issue. I still have about 10-15 good german DP heads in my pile, and I will go for a new aa500 head every time.

Larger, better shape combustion chambers, fresh non-corroded/stressed/broken studs, a million fewer heat cycles, no shitty previous welding, no shitty previous rebuilds, etc..etc......

I prefer real german parts most of the time EXCEPT when it comes to heads. The new aa500 stock valve size heads are WAY ahead of a tired old german head.

Brian
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Are the new single port heads any good? I have a pair of single ports that are usable but rough. One has an extractor broken off in one of the exhaust studs and I'm not sure if it's worth the tears trying to deal with.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Are the new single port heads any good? I have a pair of single ports that are usable but rough. One has an extractor broken off in one of the exhaust studs and I'm not sure if it's worth the tears trying to deal with.

Not sure. Never tried them. I still have quite a few good SP heads. They hold up WAY better then the DP heads.

No its not worth the tears. Throw it to the bottom of the core pile and get another set of heads off the next H case 1500 that comes along.

Brian
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

flycut
replace guides
cut seats
assemble

I have rebuilt a pile of german heads. Then the pile started to dry up because 85% of used DP heads are cracked, blown out, or have some other hidden issue. I still have about 10-15 good german DP heads in my pile, and I will go for a new aa500 head every time.

Larger, better shape combustion chambers, fresh non-corroded/stressed/broken studs, a million fewer heat cycles, no shitty previous welding, no shitty previous rebuilds, etc..etc......

I prefer real german parts most of the time EXCEPT when it comes to heads. The new aa500 stock valve size heads are WAY ahead of a tired old german head.

Brian

Fair enough. I must have gotten lucky lol. I have about a dozen heads on a shelf. None of them have cracks. Creep is a real thing tho. Especially on the dp heads w/step
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

Kinda wanna know as well. Gotta 1600 short block ready to go. Just needs heads(stole the dp ones for another project)
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested DP Heads for a 1600 Reply with quote

If they are original 040-casting heads, I will usually keep them for later use. To me - they are big-valves waiting to come out. Laughing

For race heads - I love using the 040 castings. I machine the seats and do other things w/ them. Now that I got my TIG back - will try to do more work on them.

Upgrading to a bigger milling machine this year - I think I will stop doing longblocks for now and just do topend like before.

I am really liking the Ford S/S steel exhaust studs and nuts - will be using them on the VW heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: