Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Urgent help please!

Have mobile mechanic here. We redid the axel seals today. Swing axel Beetle. One side was BAD. All the new parts looked good. New seals put on. Everything torqued properly. Refilled transmission (it was down due to the leak.)

That was a few hours ago. We are now working on electrical stuff.

Just noticed. BOTH SIDES are leaking significantly. Any ideas? We are stumped. Car has not been driven/moved since the seals were done.

Thanks, Sambas.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Are you talking about the rubber boots or the side covers themselves?

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Or maybe the wheel bearing seals at the bearing caps.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

I’m not sure how to answer. We took off a huge 36mm castle nut. Behind that was a plate with four bolts (one at each corner). That was taken off, cleaned and a seal kit was used put it all back together. So this is at the wheel end of the axels. The axel boots at the transmission end of the axels was not touched (one is good, the other was replaced about a year ago).
The leak is coming through where that plate goes on the axel. It leaks there, then runs out the little hole at the bottom of the brake drum. Can’t figure out why. Crying or Very sad Shocked Help!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Could the leak been from before you got the axle nut torqued down, just showing after having time to find its way out?

On the axle a metal washer from the kit, the small o-ring, then the spacer. On the outside an O-ring on the bearing and the paper gasket on the bearing cover. A new shaft seal goes in the bearing cap, then it is installed. Promptly put the drum on and torque the axle nut to over 217 lb-ft.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Does the "mobile mechanic" guarantee his work? You may simply have to do them over again.

Searched this forum using 'rear axle seal'. They are very basic but seem to confound many people.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Have you moved the car at all since the work was done?

I'd roll it back and forth at least so the axles and everything are seated properly, they sort of bow in and get offset if you just jack it up and put it back down.

BUT: I can't remember this ever affecting the axle seals that you had replaced, only the rubber boots.

He probably pinched the rubber o-rings from the kit rings on install or did something else wrong, maybe by mistake, and it will have to be pulled apart and redone.

It's good the drain holes are clear and working as they are often plugged with crap.

EVFun has a valid point - Is it leaking constantly or do you just see some fluid there?
If it's just wet, wipe it off and see if more comes out. If it does, there's an issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Is this with the drums installed or are we talking about leaks from the bearing cap axle seals with the drums removed, possibly with the axles also angled downward from the transaxle? If it's the latter then that is normal, the fix is to fully install the drums.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:

The leak is coming through where that plate goes on the axel. It leaks there, then runs out the little hole at the bottom of the brake drum. Can’t figure out why. Crying or Very sad Shocked Help!

""The little hole at the bottom of the brake drum""
So you have the early style with the oil deflector/oil slinger number 14.
No need to use a paper gasket but it is recommended to use some liquid gasket at the brake plate where the axle tube and bearing cover meet.
But as said, first fully install the drums to 217 lb-ft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

You didn't identify the model year of your Beetle??
As shown above, you can see the '64-earlier design. Here is the '65-later S/A diagram. Maybe this applies to your car?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From memory, spacer #10 has a chamfer on one side for the #9 o-ring to fit into. If you install #10 the wrong way you crush #9 and it will leak.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thank you for the advice and help. Very Happy Backwards spacer, use some sealant, get the wheels level again all sound like good suggestions. Thank you. We will try and get on that. Will I need new axel seal kits in case anything has been ‘crushed’ or just disassemble/reassemble?

From watching the parts go on and off, it looks exactly like the “post-65” picture.

I purposely left out the model year so I wouldn’t scare anyone away. Embarassed It’s actually a 1995 1600i ( Shocked ) but I keep getting told that it’s basically a ‘regular 68’ swing axel for most things and 74 for the body.

Any more suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

You will need a new kit with new seals and gaskets. If it is leaking oil something is likely ripped or torn. Hopefully the kit has the replacement seal gasket that is leaking.

Don't forget to look at the steel washer and oil deflector. They can crack and leak.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

Thank you.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axel Beetle - new axel seals leaking Reply with quote

The outer cover with the axle seal installed in it, must have the spacer also inside the seal, and slide all of that into place as one. Not doing so, can result in the spacer crushing the inner edge of the seal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: