Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

The rotor looks to be running way low compared to the cap. Check part numbers to be sure they both are correct for you distributor.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

Replace that rotor. Replace the cap too. With that much arcing, the cap will also be shot
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

Looking at that rotor, I wonder what did she get for her tuneup $$'s?

I'd start with a real comprehensive tuneup.

Plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor
Fuel filter
O2 sensor
Check for vacuum leaks and decayed items.

I would also pull the injectors, check them for leaks under pressure and have them serviced by mrinjector or similar.

Establish a known starting line from which to build a diagnosis upon.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Thanks for the leads... Went down the rabit hole of coolant temp/ECU/gauge writeups this morning...yikes! A lot there to know with that.

Additional data ...."tuneup" done 6k miles 3yrs ago. The 12mpg started more recently

From the suggestions so far

Tail pipe clean, no excess soot. Actually no soot at all

A little arcing on the rotor tip. Cleaned with sandpaper. Cap looked good. Notice the circular wear pattern on the center spin point. Almost as of it was in there crooked. I seated it well. There was some spring in the distributer shaft - when I pressed rotor ask the way down whole shaft popped up 1/8?". Is that normal?

Plug condition in firing order

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your gap looks rather large. #2 looks pretty lean.

Hard to tell what's wrong with the rotor but it looks like it might need to be cleaned up with a little bit of sandpaper. how does the distributor cap look?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

1 - replaced spark plugs with NGK 1263 per tencent

2 - ordered cap and rotor Bosch, Interestingly the current cap is pristine even though the rotor looks charred (pic above)

3 - ordered new temp and gauge sensors UltraPower/cheap. If you know the ohm reading standards for the gauge sensor, can you please post them in this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9911177

Gauge is barely at LED even when stage 2 fan comes on.

If the current ones test fine and are a good manufacturer will keep them otherwise I'll roll the dice on long term function on the cheap ones (if they test fine).

4 - ordered 87deg tstat Wahler Which hoses are best to IR temp gun to check Tstat function without taking out T stat? I'll test the new one and will test old one too, just want to pre-test temps before I pull it apart. Seems like the hose coming in the left and the hose coming out the right were similar temps even under 185

5 - 85/93 radiator fan switch Meyle. how does one interpret this temp range specified as 85-74/93-82c? stage 1 turns on at 85 off 74 stage 2 on at 93 off at 82 (so stage 1 will be on?) running it today while charging AC Stage 2 turned on even though temp gauge never got above LED (hence #3 above)

6 - re:3,4,5 I'm considering installing a temp gauge la http://texasvanagons.com/adding-a-water-temp-sender/ that will give me actual numbers since I can't tell the coolant temp from the dash gauge nor can accurately test the temp sensors on the vehicle w.o knowing the coolant temp. ... thoughts?

7 - what's the O2 sensor test for this vehicle (1991 2.1)? the only thing I found in Bentely is a open/closed test.

Thanks for ya'll's help.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

You have missed a big piece of the "puzzle" regarding your radiator fan behavior.

Your model has a 3 speed fan setup, not 2 speeds.

The A/C system controls a MIDDLE speed that is pretty high.

The dash temp gauge reading has nothing to do with the MIDDLE speed.

The MIDDLE speed is triggered only by high FREON PRESSURE in the A/C system.

The A/C system cycles LOW and MIDDLE radiator fan speeds for the needs of the A/C system, regardless of engine coolant temp.

The HIGHEST rad fan speed is triggered only by high radiator temps and this mode also disables the A/C compressor to help protect the engine from overheating.

Mark

vanis13 wrote:
5 - 85/93 radiator fan switch Meyle. how does one interpret this temp range specified as 85-74/93-82c? stage 1 turns on at 85 off 74 stage 2 on at 93 off at 82 (so stage 1 will be on?) running it today while charging AC Stage 2 turned on even though temp gauge never got above LED (hence #3 above)
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

Check the distributor shaft for excessive play. That mark on the rotor suggests there is a problem.

Erik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You have missed a big piece of the "puzzle" regarding your radiator fan behavior.

Your model has a 3 speed fan setup, not 2 speeds.

The A/C system controls a MIDDLE speed that is pretty high.

The dash temp gauge reading has nothing to do with the MIDDLE speed.

The MIDDLE speed is triggered only by high FREON PRESSURE in the A/C system.

The A/C system cycles LOW and MIDDLE radiator fan speeds for the needs of the A/C system, regardless of engine coolant temp.

The HIGHEST rad fan speed is triggered only by high radiator temps and this mode also disables the A/C compressor to help protect the engine from overheating.

Mark

vanis13 wrote:

That's for the clarification of 3 stages.

In this instance with this 1991 2.1 I was then experiencing experiencing stage 3 where the the AC system was shut down until the temp lowered.

If we modify the status report to indicate Stage 3 where I wrote stage 2. What does it do to the conclusions?

.....My personal van is a 83.5 which I believe has only 2 speeds even with AC stage 1 first rad fan switch temp and/or AC on. Stage 2 switch fan switch temp which turns off AC until it steps down to stage 1.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

bridgetroll13 wrote:
Check the distributor shaft for excessive play. That mark on the rotor suggests there is a problem.

Erik

What is excessive?

How is it measured?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
bridgetroll13 wrote:

Erik

What is excessive?

How is it measured?

Never measured it, but it isn't very much, <1/32 inch. Just lightly lift up and press down on the rotor. There are a series of shims on the distributor shaft and the distributor drive that affect the height, these shims have a history of failing and disappearing over time. If the one set of shims fail and the distributor isn't installed deep enough into its bore that will cause the rotor to run low.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
bridgetroll13 wrote:

Erik

What is excessive?

How is it measured?

Never measured it, but it isn't very much, <1/32 inch. Just lightly lift up and press down on the rotor. There are a series of shims on the distributor shaft and the distributor drive that affect the height, these shims have a history of failing and disappearing over time. If the one set of shims fail and the distributor isn't installed deep enough into its bore that will cause the rotor to run low.

I'm concluding you mean vertical play.

There is no vertical play up.

There is 1/8" play down if I push. It bounces back up.

There is no side play.

Here is a closer pic of the rotor and the off-side wear pattern.

Also a shot of the distributor schematic. It notes "shims - note number and location" but doesn't specify quantity nor is there any other mention of shims even in the distributor installation section.

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

KISS! Do the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel filter (air filter done IIRC), and throw some Sea Foam in the gas. Change the O2 sensor? Can't hurt, might help. (BTW, "mystery gas" from Billy Bob's Fill 'n' Fish? Maybe not).

If the basics don't tidy things up, then look for harder-to-answer problems.

Past that, is it the vehicle or the driver? Could be the driver's developed a change in driving.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

The shims and washers limit the axial play, 1/8" of play would mean that something is missing.

Your rotor looks to be either very old or to have seen some kind of trauma. It certainly needs to be replaced. The rotor and cap need to match. Just because the cap will latch down to the distributor body does not mean it is the correct one.

Samba member "Glen" can supply you with new shims and washers, if my memory is correct.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The shims and washers limit the axial play, 1/8" of play would mean that something is missing.

Samba member "Glen" can supply you with new shims and washers, if my memory is correct.

how/where can I learn more about this? Doesn't seem to be covered in Bentley.

"glen" has no posts last active in 2006 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16713

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

How to test O2 sensor on THIS vehicle?

Re: #7 - what's the O2 sensor test for this vehicle (1991 2.1)? the only thing I found in Bentely is a open/closed test.

Californio wrote:
If I remember right there's a heating circuit on the O2 sensor on later models and if this isn't working, it could make the engine take longer to idle correctly. Easy to test.

How?

Found this though insure which terminals to check in which way (connected, pierce wire? Disconnected?....Can’t really get to the backside of the connector since it is rubber covered.)

https://itstillruns.com/test-sensor-5193043.html

ThinkingD wrote:
Maybe an exhaust leak/crack before the o2 sensor causing it to run rich by allowing fresh air into the system pre-o2 and making the ECU think it is running lean.

Before the O2 sensor, only tiny leaks at the J pipe and one of the joining connections by blowing shopvac into it. Leaks look WAY bigger with the bubbles.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
How to test O2 sensor on THIS vehicle?

Re: #7 - what's the O2 sensor test for this vehicle (1991 2.1)? the only thing I found in Bentely is a open/closed test.

Californio wrote:
If I remember right there's a heating circuit on the O2 sensor on later models and if this isn't working, it could make the engine take longer to idle correctly. Easy to test.

How?

Found this though insure which terminals to check in which way (connected, pierce wire? Disconnected?....Can’t really get to the backside of the connector since it is rubber covered.)

https://itstillruns.com/test-sensor-5193043.html

ThinkingD wrote:
Maybe an exhaust leak/crack before the o2 sensor causing it to run rich by allowing fresh air into the system pre-o2 and making the ECU think it is running lean.

Samba FAQ to the rescue! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3444744#3444744

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 12mpg from a 2.1 - what to look at? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Californio wrote:

How?
There is a plug to the left side of the engine compartment. Just trace the wiring bundle for the O2 sensor back into the engine compartment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: