Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Okay, I have what my father always said was a 1958 356A engine. He got it many years ago, cleaned it up, painted everything and it ran very good but the original carbs needed rebuilding and leaked terribly. I recently dug the engine out of the back of the garage and put my set of 40mm Webers on it. It’s now running without leaking gas everywhere and I’m trying to nail down exactly what year this engine is from. I went on the Stoddard site and don’t see anything that matches my engine numbers. My engine has P*70 447* and the only ones I see with the P are Carrera engines and seem to start in the 9s. Could I just be that far off with the year? I looked from 56 to 62 but only found numbers starting at 72 and no P code.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Forane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Looks like a nice clean engine.
The "P" and stars are correct for the era engine. The "third piece" with the serial number dates from 1958.

"Engine number 70447 is a 1600 (Type 616/1 T2), part of range 68217 to 70819.

This engine was originally fitted to a car as follows:
1958 (built 1958) T2 A cabriolet (Reutter) with a serial number between 150150 and 150949.
1958 (built 1958) T2 A convertible D (Drauz) with a serial number between 85501 and 85584.
1958 (built 1958) T2 A coupe (Reutter) with a serial number between 102505 and 104659.
1958 (built 1958) T2 A Speedster (Reutter) with a serial number between 84371 and 84922."

But with some machining, third pieces can be interchangeable. Therefore you would need to check in a few other places to make sure all three pieces match.

J
Forane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Porsche 356 engine serial number look up website.......
http://www.356a.com/about.php

Here are a few pics "borrowed" from another 356 forum that shows were identifying numbers are located.

56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Wow, that’s more info than I expected and thank you! Are there numbers on the other 2 case halves that I can check to make sure they match? I don’t think it’s ever been torn down but ya never know what could have happened in the 30 years before we got it.
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Sorry, you sent that while I was writing the last post and thank you again for the info and the link!
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

I just went out and checked all 3 numbers and they do match.

Forane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Nice. With a few color changes, a set of Zenith 32 NDIX Carburetors with correct filter housings and you have a very clean desirable engine. Being a 1600N the colors should look more like this( the orange oil filter color is fine).

56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

I’m not sure where my father got the idea for the colors he chose but I’m guessing he must have seen it In a magazine since he wasn’t a computer guy. I actually had no idea if it was correct or not but I can fix that. I do have the correct carbs that came off of it but I bought rebuild kits and as I was finishing up the first one, it fell off of the bench. It ended up bending and cracking the flange around the bowl. I have another body that I can use to get them back together and installed though.
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

These are what we got it with but obviously the filters are very different for some reason. I’m guessing they should be black also and not gold? And from what I’ve found, this engine is rated at 60hp. Is that correct? I have a 1967 912 engine also and I’ve found ratings between 90 and 106hp so I’m not sure what’s accurate.

Forane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Those Zenith 32 NDIX would be correct for that engine. Being a 1600N they should be a P03L and P03R (24mm). On the left side there should be a date stamp that indicates when it was made. I can almost make one out from the picture....12 61????
The wire mesh filter housing looks like a Knecht and should be correct. The other type (canister type) were initially on super motors in '58 and then on all motors by '59.
And yes, a 1600N was rated at about 60hp.
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

I don’t know how you saw that date when I wouldn’t have even known they were there if you didn’t point it out. I took some pics and it’s actually 12/57.

I checked the other body I have and it’s got different markings. The has has a 16 rather than a 30 but the body looks the same and has the same size venturies.
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

These are pics of the spare body and I can’t make out much where the date stamp should be except some zeros and maybe 22 so I don’t know what that would mean but none of the numbers are similar to my origin carbs. My question is, would I be better off trying to have my original repaired/welded or using this one that doesn’t match? That’s if it’s even possible to use it.

Forane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

That spare is definitely good to use but not a Porsche part. PO10 carbs were intended for VW but essentially the same thing.
Porsche Carbs were:
Normal = PO3 L & R, Supers = PO2 L & R, C's =PO19 & PO19.1.
That said your spare is likely an 24mm Venturi, which was factory size for a 1600N, and will bolt right into place. Use the base plate off the Porsche carb. No one but you will ever know.
These carbs are cast zinc and would be exceedingly difficult to repair. I have never seen anyone attempt to weld one. Use your spare for now. The part you need shows up on Ebay fairly often. If you wait and watch, you can easily pick one up for way less than $100.
56bugdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to identify what I thought was a 1958 356 engine Reply with quote

Well once again, thank you! I thought they were aluminum and yeah, Ive never heard of anyone welding zinc. Not to say it’s not possible but I’ve never heard of or seen it done and around here I’m pretty limited for technical welders. I’ll clean up the replacement bowl, finish that rebuild and then do the other side. I’ll just keep the broken body as a reference for anyone interested in buying it. Then I need to get into my 912 that was running but has a cracked jug and my father stripped it of the fuel pump, distributor and alternator for the 356 engine. I have a box of parts to hopefully get it all back together so hopefully it’ll live again. Just need to order the correct cylinder set. My plan was to use that in my 56 oval VW but plans change. Guess we’ll see. Thank you very much for all of your help! I was at a dead end for a while and really needed your type of input. It’s greatly appreciated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: