Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Baja Bug - TX Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Adjusted the oil pump engagement to .261” minus gasket thickness, a c clamp and some sockets make quick work of adjusting the depth.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is about .005” clr from the gear to the cover plate, not sure what the spec is supposed to be but I’ll look it up and tighten it up as needed.

I completed the left/right shimming and modifying the rockers for the swivel feel. I also completed the rocker geometry using the stock push rods, which I think are a little too long so once the crank is in and I can roll the cam with the crank to half lift I’ll cut/install the cut-to-length 3/8” chromo pushrods I have on the shelf. I’m hoping I can pull the shims or atleast some of them out from under the rocker stands, currently I have .120” worth of shims to make the stock pushrods work. It’s close but still not right unless I got real lucky.

I have been cleaning/dressing all of the distributor drive and crankshaft parts. Still need to 8 dowel the crank and flywheel, file the rings, check Piston to bore, sink the one case saver, balance the rods/pistons, install galley plugs, so much to do lol
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
Adjusted the oil pump engagement to .261” minus gasket thickness, a c clamp and some sockets make quick work of adjusting the depth.

One of my engines died due to the oil pump shaft pushing out of the gear from oil pushing on the end of the shaft inside the pump, and into the cam. Since then I don't trust messing with oil pump gears on their shafts. Anything you can do to lock that gear on that shaft?

sailtexas186548 wrote:

There is about .005” clr from the gear to the cover plate, not sure what the spec is supposed to be but I’ll look it up and tighten it up as needed.

The factory spec (from my copy of "Without Guesswork") is a wear limit of .004"/0.1mm. So your pump is worn past spec already and you need to face a couple or 3 thousandths off that pump housing face. The traditional way is to use sandpaper on a thick piece of glass to sand the face of the housing down.

[/quote]
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

I suppose I could use the TIG to tack the gear to the shaft? Wouldn’t take much to keep it from moving

.004” max, alright well I’ll be sanding - probably take it down as tight as I can without dragging the gear. Thanks for the info!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Take the gears out when you sand it. Re-insert them to check.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Got the oil pump sanded down to .002/.003 clr.

I mistakenly didn’t sink the case saver for #3 like the late model cases so I had one head stud that was too long when I put the heads on the first time… to fix it without buying new head studs, I put the case on the drill press and drilled the hole down another 1.25-1.5” (I forget exactly), then used a 5/8” drill to open up the case so I could get a tap down that far. I even had to grind a std tap into a bottoming tap because the set I ordered come with three std tapered taps… overall It went better than expected and the case saver is in like it should be

From there I 8 doweled the crank and flywheel (the jig is in backwards on the crank In the pic, I luckily caught this and flipped it before I drilled). Once the crank and flywheel were drilled I put them together and reamed them as one piece. Probably overkill for a 65 hp engine but it can’t hurt

After chasing head stud leaks on some other air cooled cars I work on, I decided to weld up the case savers to eliminate that leak path. It can’t leak if it’s welded shut!

That was the last fitting and mods to do (I hope) so it was time to pressure wash the case and crank one last time, and run a barrel brush on a drill through all the passages. I’m glad I did because a Ball of shavings was stuck in the passage just before the oil cooler. I have already pressure washed this case twice before, the long barrel brushes are really important to get all the crud loose. Quite a bit of gunk was in the crank shaft cross drilled oil passages, the brush got it out after a few tries and some brake clean

With the case ready to go together, I put the oil pickup stud in with loctite

And then installed the case savers with an bearing retainer loctite, they won’t ever be coming out lol

Now it’s time to throw this dang engine together, everything has been checked five times and test fit so not much to do but assemble until I get to checking the pushrod length again.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Oil galley plugs in

Crankshaft and rods together

Crank and distributor drive in, with two shims, rolls great

Cam in, check backlash it is .002 and still rolling smooth

Lifers going in now that the cam is good. I use mercury/quicksilver 2 stroke synthetic blend two stroke oil when I assemble engines instead of assembly lube. It clings like crazy to clean metal and is slick, with a pretty good friction package with high moly and it burns off well. For sliding parts I use isky rev lube, high moly sulfide.

Made my own lifter clips with tig wire, 1/2 case half ready to go

Got the oil pump, nuts/bolts, cam plug, all the little bits ready - I will seal it tomorrow night when I’m fresh. Finally!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Sealed up, oil pump installed, rolls great so now it’s time to get the flywheel on
and top end together

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Oil reliefs in, flywheel on with a chromo gland nut

Thrust (“end play”) set at .004”

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Checked/set the rings at .018, most of them didn’t need any grinding just a few. Pistons, rings, cylinders, wrist pins, all match weighed, dressed, and cleaned

Head studs in, pistons/cylinders on the studs waiting on the heads to be ready

These mofoco 040 heads had quite a lot of casting flash (which has apparently been addressed since 2015 when I bought these). It took me about about 45 minutes per head to drill/grind it out - not perfect bits it’s close and shouldn’t cause any issues.

There is metal and grind dust all in the heads now, so I’m gonna pull them apart and clean them up, then put them back together before I install them
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Heads apart and cleaned up

Ultra grey to seal the cylinders to the case, and new deflector tins

Heads on with SS pushrod tubes (white elring silicone seals, dry) and Aviation on the head stud washers/threads under the valve covers.

A little fun with the head castings

Pulled the distributor and installed the spring, and put a little grease on the tangs that engage the drive. Also painted the cap gold, and installed some set screws into all of the unused threaded holes with ultra grey to keep dirt (and corrosion) out

Oil sump cover (with stock screen) installed, new gaskets/washers/nuts all tq’d to spec

I have the rockers cleaned up and installed, but still not happy with the geometry. I wasnt able to roll the engine before (no crank installed) and check at half lift (I just had the lifter on the base circle). I have a set of cut to length chromo pushrods so between those and some shimming I should be able to get it right

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Spent a little time setting up the disl indicator and checking rocker geometry

Closed

Max lift (exhaust, though this w100 is a split cam so intake is the same)

Half lift

Much to my surprise, with the rockers shimmed so the adjuster is parallel to the valve at half lift, the stock pushrods are the exact length I need… I checked this two or three time and on the intakes and the other side, it’s the same everywhere. It is a very close to stock build so I guess it makes sense

With that done, I was on to the shiny bits and easy stuff

Valve covers and silicone gaskets, dry. I know a lot of guys silicone these to the covers - if they leak I’ll consider it.

New oil cooler and cylinder tins

Doghouse 36hp style shroud (internal fins very similar to the stock one I have on the shelf)

I took apart three junk engines i acquired over time, so I’m trying to use the best parts to make this one engine. This shroud came with a 40hp fan and generator in it but that seems too small. I want to use an alternator - which is currently paired with a later 1600 fan… I can’t quite tell if the fan fits but with a .25” spacer it does so I think the shroud is for a late fan and just needs some alignment work. If not Maybe I’ll make a spacer and see how it does

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Today was a struggle with a pile of old, filthy parts trying to get all the good bits together to make one complete set lol. Remember i have bought 3 bugs, and a Manx that were all in abysmal shape and So far I have produced one ecotec Manx and this bug. I think I will have enough left to build one super hack bug (that will be fun next, no pretty parts pure function)

I salvaged this aftermarket oil fill from a generator stand, tore up the paint a bit but it was on tight

Broke down the two fan and charger assemblies, needed a bit of heat

All of this stuff has 50 years of grime and dirt on it, gotta clean it up but it seems like I have a complete set of parts
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Well bad news, now that the fan is cleaned up it’s obviously cracked, and was rubbing the shroud in a past life so the vane peens are worn down and loose… a new welded/balanced scat fan is already in the mail.

I spent some time on the tins to close up gaps, and discovered the little part that helps seal the oil cooler. I had one in my parts bin so now it’s installed

The shroud has some pretty outrageous gaps on the dog house cooler ducting, so I cut/bend some brake line and tacked it in to close it up. A little grinder work and it’ll be ready to go

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Fan finally arrived

Shims adjusted to .080” clearance to the backplate

Alternator stand all cleaned up, Fan fits and doesn’t rub, gotta pull the shroud to get the fan in

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Slip in sand seal and pull my installed, alternator and belt on, Intake painted and fit, took a few hours adjusting/grinding the intake mount and messing with the case stud/nut that locates it. It’s good now, though the rubber boots are not in good shape (thought i had new ones already…) so I’ll replace those with blacks ones.

Rebuilt the carb, figured out how it’s jetted, and swapped in the 26mm Venturis

Fuel pump cleaned up and mounted, and the carb is on pending jet changes. I put the paint matched belt guard on… not sure if this will stay on long term but I had it so…

14mm ring thermocouples for cylinders 1 and 3, these will display On the dash

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

No heat riser for your center mount carb?
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

No not at this point. I wrench on my buddies Baja for him, and have managed to that single IDF carb to run really well without heat. It’s of course on a 2012cc stroker Which helps, But I’m going to give this one a shot before I install manifold heat. I also don’t have the tubes for it, and my header doesn’t have provisions for manifold heat so it’s a lot of work to add it. I suspect I will be regretting this decision but I’m taking the easy way out for now lol

The jetting I’m starting with is this:

Air - 180
Emulsion F-11
Mains -145
Squirter Nozzles - 50
Idle Jets - 55
Float up 10mm
Float down 26mm

Should be close enough to run, but the 26mm Venturis are the wildcard for me… Tight lips on all the racers running this combo so not much help there.

I did modify the accelerator pump jet to a “zero return”, instead of buying one I just took a punch and closed up the little hole by peening it shut:

Welded some tabs on the air cleaner base to Stabilize the intake. I have done this on a couple cars now and it is SO much better than relying On the crappy little stud mount at the bottom only.

The linkage that came with this carb is questionable, homemade with a 1/4-20 bolt and some other scraps welded together. Overall it’s decent, but the geometry was way off. I re drilled and modified it to work, so it’s temporarily permanent Laughing if it works and the pedal to throttle ratio is good I’ll improve/remake it. The kits are just too much $ for just a few linkages.

Plug wires, full flow fittings, etc installed. I had to modify the belt cover to clear the fittings but it is still hanging in there - it is growing on me.

Dug the empi header out of the parts bin. Needs a little more clean up but I got it bent into shape and fit on the engine. I need to find a helper to lift the engine off the stand now, it’s time to hang it on the car and do fuel/wiring and see how many leaks this thing has!

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Replaced the intake boots with some 1.5” silicone turbo connectors and t bolt clamps. Way better that before

Cleaned up a stock (I think?) clutch and installed on the flywheel, and put a touch of grease on the pilot bearing needles

Cleaned up the throw out bearing and found 3 out of four bolts for the engine Mad I guess I will have to buy a stud and nut tomorrow…

And it’s in/on!

Test fit the bumper, a few small mods and it’ll be ready to mount

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

After several hours of solvent cleaning and wire brushing bolts I have axles! These are all Original CV joints, bolts, etc. with new boots. I loathe doing axles, every time I say I should have bought new Vs reusing - once again, I should have spent the $ it totally sucks cleaning all the crusty old bolts and nasty CV grease

I had to pull the engine to get the bottom studs in, which made it easier to get the shocks and axles in so not a total wasted effort.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Baja Bug - TX Build Reply with quote

Engine back on, exhaust on for good I hope. I also fit up the rear bumper mounts and got that mostly done but no pics yet

Mounted the windshield wiper and headlight switches. I used a combination of older and later model parts to get the knobs looking the same and they use the stock switches so I’ll have full single switch functionality instead of toggle switches

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: