Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Hey all, I acquired a 1970 red convertible last year and am running into my first issue. I have researched this topic pretty extensively. I found a vid on doing it on a beetle but with the 70 ghia, I have the oil cooler behind the fan shroud and am unable to access the back bolt to the alternator.

As a newbie, I'll also post a couple pics. Nothing fancy. But man we drive the shit out of this car. I'm looking to make it a full time fair weather car - similar to a 550 Porsche.

Side note: I bought a complete replacement from M&T and they told me it was an alternator not a generator.
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

I just converted my 1970 from shitty generator to much better alternator without pulling the engine.
1) disconnect battery.
2) disconnect wires going to the generator and carburetor as well as to the coil.
3) remove air cleaner and carburetor. Remove throttle cable tube if possible.
4) remove two bolts on side of fan housing (if there) and remove generator clamp.
5) life fan shroud up as much as you can. If you have a doghouse cooler you can only go so high. If a non doghouse you can remove it completely making it much simpler.
6) I have a doghouse set up. Wedge a piece of wood or something to keep shroud elevated as high as you can and remove all four screws holding backing plate to shroud. Extract generator.
7) if converting to alternator you will need an alternator stand, so you have to remove the old one. After that it’s simply reverse the steps.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Four bolts to take the decklid off. Easy-peasy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Easy Peasy? LOL. To be honest, M and T sent me the wrong "alternator". So I have to return that now. My understanding is that I need access to the generator bolt in the back of the fan housing. If so, I have to remove the oil cooler it seems.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish wrote:
Easy Peasy? LOL. To be honest, M and T sent me the wrong "alternator". So I have to return that now. My understanding is that I need access to the generator bolt in the back of the fan housing. If so, I have to remove the oil cooler it seems.

You don’t have to remove the deckilid.
You don’t even have to pull the shroud out completely.
All you have to do is lift the shroud enough to clear the intake manifold (and I’m assuming you have a stock intake manifold and not dual carbs?) so you can remove the four bolts and then pull the entire assembly out. You then can remove the fan and backing plates on the bench.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Ok, I have everything loose. Even the 4 bolts are out, but it seems like it won't come out. I will mess with it again in the morning but it seems that you are saying I should just be able to lift the generator and shroud out as one. And to me, it seems that the fan is getting stuck behind the housing when I lift and pull. Sorry if I am being dense.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

I've not done this yet, but I've watched several videos and I thought you lift the fan shroud just enough to be able to access all the bolts on the plate, and to clear the manifold. Then you should be able to remove the generator and fan assembly as one complete unit.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Question: what videos? And are they specific to ghia? I am not finding any. If you could, I would love to get some links.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish wrote:
Question: what videos? And are they specific to ghia? I am not finding any. If you could, I would love to get some links.

It’s the same procedure on a bug.
Are you trying to completely remove the shroud? Or are you simply trying to extract the generator?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

I have done it on my '73 without removing the engine or a lid. In fact I replaced the generator stand, not alternator/generator but it all had to come out. Like others said- if the shroud is loose and moving around, alternator/generator can be replaced. Try rotating the generator and it should come out. I remember using Bentley manual and common sense and it was not hard at all.
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Well, I have the haynes manual. I will look into the Bentley manual. As to common sense, I may be screwed.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish wrote:

One way is to unbolt the fan housing so it can be raised a little bit then you remove the carb, distributor cap, and pull the generator and fan out as a complete unit.

Or another method is to reach around the fan shroud and remove the fan from the generator shaft, then pull the generator out while leaving the fan inside the shroud. With this method, you can't really see behind the shroud so you work by feel. Both ways will work.
Here's a few videos that show both methods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGm7TL794UA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewXkdPgsa4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJSJjZMDTg4

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Fighting Fish wrote:

One way is to unbolt the fan housing so it can be raised a little bit then you remove the carb, distributor cap, and pull the generator and fan out as a complete unit.

Thank you. I tried removing it again this morning with no luck. As to what I am planning on replacing it with, it looks like while MandT sent the wrong thing, I am going to keep it and just upgrade from the generator to the alternator.

I did already have the carburetor, distributor cap out and have gotten the shroud loose. I can move it every which way. I just haven't been able to get it to slide to the rear of the car. And as to working behind it to get that bolt (nut?) loose from the fan? Well, that is where the oil cooler is and there is zero room to get in there. Worst case scenario, I may have to remove the cooler.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

If you still have the cooling flaps in the thermostat you will have to go underneath the car and loosen the thermostat from the downrod. That is probably was preventing you from lifting up the fan shroud.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

This sounds A LOT like filling the turn signal fluid.
SBusch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

One more video with good step by step instructions.

Link
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish wrote:
This sounds A LOT like filling the turn signal fluid.

No, seriously.
If the stock flaps and thermostat are installed there is a rod that passes down through the 1/2 side heads fins and connects to the thermostat bolted in a bracket to the engine case.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

SBusch wrote:
One more video with good step by step instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S05pHNO7RQw&t=262s

Yup, decent video.
I just hope that the fan I get will spin more round and true.

Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace generator in a 1970 while engine is still in? Reply with quote

That video is awesome. I am going to tackle this tomorrow. Thanks so much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: