Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to-
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

This is a basic pictorial of all the screws and pieces that need to be removed to remove the dash in a 93/95 Eurovan (non airbag). Prior to starting you should remove your connetions to the battery in case of any bare wires or wires that may have come out of the connectors grounding.

Remove the horn pad. The pad pulls up best from the bottom side. There are springs that will just fall out, so watch for where they go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wire for the horn is attached to this pad, so be careful pulling the pad too quickly.

After the pad is removed, you will see the large 24mm nut holding the steering wheel on. Remove that nut and the steering wheel should easily pull off.

Proceed with pulling the steering column cover off. There should be 3 philips screws in these holes. Circled below. Disregard my diy OBD2.

The cover will separate into two halves. Then easily removed.

Unscrew these 3 flathead screws that hold the columns levers on. You can either let them hang or unplug the connectors and set the levers aside.

Remove these two screws above the gauge cluster.

Once the two screws are removed, remove the gauge cluster cowl. It’s held in additionally by pressure fittings. You may need to wedge the edge of the cowl to get a hold on it, to pull out for removal.

Remove the gauge cluster. The cluster is held in by two screws. One on each side of the top portion of the cluster.

Once the cluster is moveable, rock it towards you and you will see the connections to the back of the cluster. This may be slightly more difficult to rock forward with the mechanical speedo, but none the less, you should be able to unplug the wire connector and the mechanical speedo. In my case, I just have 2 wire connectors to remove.

Once the cluster is removed, you easily reach the backside of the center dash. This would be a good time to remove all the gadgetry set into this section. Start with all the switches and rear fan controls. They easily pop forward with the rear access, and you should be able to grab ahold the wire connects to separate as well. The cigarette lighter/12v outlet may to difficult to unplug. You will have better access from the radio opening.

Prior to this step, you should only have the forward air controls and the center dash vents in place. Remove the forward air control levers.

Carefully pop out the face of the forward air controls. There will be 2 wire connectors on the back side. One for the fan speed and on for the light. The fan control is stubborn but will come free.

Remove these 3 screws.

Pull out the two vents on the center dash. Once removed these two screws will need to be removed. Remove the housing.

Move on to side vents. Remove the vent. These I just rotated upward and popped out of joint. This was enough to gain access to the one screw that needs to be removed. Do this for the passenger side as well.

Remove the housing. It is difficult to remove but will come out.

Remove the fuse/relay panel cover. If you still have the stock button, just pull on it and the cover can be tilted off.

Pop out the headlight and dash light dimmer. Unplug the connectors.

Remove the speaker covers for the tweeters. They were difficult for me to remove due to the closest press in fitting in the picture. I was able to reach from underneath to help get it out. Possibly reaching through the side vent opening as well. Some light wedging from the top is ok, but you risk the possibility of breaking these connections if your plastic has become more brittle.

Remove the tweeter. Again, from underneath is the best way to avoid any breakage. Also, the tabs form an uneven triangle. If you can rotate the set of tabs that is furthest away from the other two sets, into the gap at the far left(drivers side) or far right (passenger side) of the hole, the speaker can lift out.

Remove this 8mm bolt.

This screw is near the fuse panel.

These three screws.

These two screws.

Remove this screw from the center cover on the passenger side of the footwell.

Remove this screw from the left side of the inside of the glove box. This screw holds onto the smaller piece of the center coverings.

Remove these 4 screws and all the lower center pieces will come apart. Pay attention to how the smaller center piece overlaps and underlaps between the lower and upper cover. It can be tricky to get back together.

Remove what should be (2) 8mm bolts.

Remove this screw on the lower right of the glove box.

Remove the wires connected to the glove box light.

Remove these two screws, in the right side of the glovebox. The lower screw attaches to the lower trim at the right of the glove box. This trim will separate once this screw is removed. Pay close attention to how it goes together as it is a little tricky to get it back on correctly.

Remove these two remaining screws that hold the glove box on. The screw on the right is just out of frame, but there. The glove box will be freed, so take care with that last screw.

The final bolt holding the dash in place, is this 10mm bolt, which is accessible from the engine compartment. Up and to the center in the engine bay.

The dash will now no longer be mechanically connected to the framework of the van. The final obstacle will be some overlapping plastic from the A-pillar trim on both sides. You can either remove the A-pillar trim or forcefully make the plastic pass each other. Cracking is a concern when forcing the pieces. I forced mine by, buy squeezing the dash plastic inward the best I could to pass with the least tension on the A-pillar trim.

Once you have cleared the A-pillar plastic issues, there is some wiggling and fudging to get the dash out. Both doors will need to be open some to help with this process.

Here is a borrowed picture of the dash removed. The center section containing the heater core and the infamous vent flaps. To right sections holds the blower fan and resistor, as well as the AC exchanger. You can see the breakdown of the blending box here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752184&highlight=

Reinstallation will of course be the reverse of this de-installation. A lot of the steps can be done in a different order then what I have posted as well. This is what was most efficient for me. Once you have the dash out, you will have access to all the wiring, cabin fan, heater core, etc.

As a bonus, if you intend to change out or repair your center trim piece you will need to remove these screws. This piece can only be removed in one piece with the dash out. These screws will not need to be removed to remove the dash.

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgirard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

I really hope I never need to use this but thank you for taking time to assemble this detailed write up!
64/71/72/82
--------------
Intro
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Ditto. I always enjoy these types of write-ups as I may need them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87calwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Great photos and how to guide for dash removal. Did mine couple months ago. Not as hard as it looks for those on the fence.
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed writeup. This is awesome!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Great detail on the removal of dash and accessories. But how do you change the lights on speedometer assembly with out removing the whole assembly.. taking half the car apart to change a lightbulb is so primative.. Thanks, plus where is the high low relay... Thanks I appreciate the help and I'm sick of low beams only. Bill in PR
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Great detail on the removal of dash and accessories. But how do you change the lights on speedometer assembly with out removing the whole assembly.. taking half the car apart to change a lightbulb is so primative.. Thanks, plus where is the high low relay... Thanks I appreciate the help and I'm sick of low beams only. Bill in PR

I think starting a new thread/post would be better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
druuid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Thanks, great write up!
I'm thinking I may need to do this soon as we have started to see the dreaded "blower debris" coming out, which will mean needing to replace the blower vent covers.
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

FYI: for those of you that have a 2001-2003 Eurovan, there are extra steps and pieces that need to be removed, most notably the airbags and the knee panels. When I was doing the dash removal 0n my '02, I quickly found out that there is very little information relating to the late model EVs in this regard. This absolute dearth of information had me stymied a couple of times. Thanks to communities like this, after just a couple of hours, I had the answers I needed to proceed.
WFRANKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Hi, so I have followed all these steps and have watched various videos on this process but I can not get my dash to come out. I can lift it from the front, there is quite a bit of up and down movement but it seems stuck at the back near the front window. I have all the screws/bolts noted in the process removed. I don't want to get to wild or force things but is there a trick to getting the dash out?

TIA, Frank
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

WFRANKV wrote:
Hi, so I have followed all these steps and have watched various videos on this process but I can not get my dash to come out. I can lift it from the front, there is quite a bit of up and down movement but it seems stuck at the back near the front window. I have all the screws/bolts noted in the process removed. I don't want to get to wild or force things but is there a trick to getting the dash out?

TIA, Frank

Did you remove the 10mm bolt that is accessed through the engine compartment? Either that or years of grime and heat is keeping it stuck.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:

Did you remove the 10mm bolt that is accessed through the engine compartment? Either that or years of grime and heat is keeping it stuck.

I think you only need to do that to get the AC unit assembly (the box containing the heater core, evaporator, blower, flaps and whatnot) out. I think the question was about removing the dash, which must be removed before removing the unit assembly.

I'm not really sure why it's stuck, my suggestion would be to try to pinpoint where it's hanging up by judicious yanking, and then look for a missed fastener there.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
Joshwa wrote:

I think you only need to do that to get the AC unit assembly (the box containing the heater core, evaporator, blower, flaps and whatnot) out. I think the question was about removing the dash, which must be removed before removing the unit assembly.

Please look at my fourth, from last picture. There is a single 10mm bolt accessed from the engine bay, that directly bolts into the dash. The bolts for the climate control box are lower amongst the insulation. I didn’t misunderstand the question.
WFRANKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Thanks, that 10mm bolt in the engine bay was it. I somehow had managed to find another bolt on the firewall and undid that one (so wrong bolt). The correct bolt had grime on it which made it hard to spot. The dash easily came out after that removing that bolt.

Onto the the foam repair!

Thanks, Frank
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 93/95 Eurovan Dash Removal -How to- Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
Joshwa wrote:

Please look at my fourth, from last picture. There is a single 10mm bolt accessed from the engine bay, that directly bolts into the dash. The bolts for the climate control box are lower amongst the insulation. I didn’t misunderstand the question.

You are correct, my apologies. I misremembered that bolt holding the unit assembly in, rather than the dash.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: