Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

Greetings,
I’m planning to put a 2.0 in my 79 Westy. I’m unhappy with the Weber progressive single and am convinced that Gordon my duel carbs is the way to go.
Any inputs on the best performance / value of carb kits to use?
Reliability and daily driver for in Florida is the mission.
Many thanks.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

I live in S.Florida and have dual Dellorto 40s set up by Blackline Racing on my 2.0 in a '78 Westy. I like them.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

Thanks! Looking at these carbs too. Do you have vacuum advance with your dizzy on your setup?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

Dueling carbs!!! ringside action!! Left side , right side!! Whos gonna win?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

lawryrg wrote:
Thanks! Looking at these carbs too. Do you have vacuum advance with your dizzy on your setup?

Yes
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

I thought Dellortos were long gone. The 36’s were a good choice for the Type 4 engines, but I think are very hard to find. Weber 40’s are popular too. I run original Solex dual carbs on my 2 liter, but I would not point you in that direction. The progressive is workable with some tinkering, but you would do better with duals.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

FI works really well. Also the last thing you want is the carbs dueling with one another. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

I made the switch many years ago from the 2 barrel progressive to dual 40mm IDFs. I have an in cab vacuum gauge. Manifold vacuum with dual IDFs will be 1/2 of what it is with a progressive. Ported vacuum for the dizzy is essentially zero when driving.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dual carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

Thanks all for the great info. And thanks for the spelling humor; always have a 50/50 chance of getting that one right!

Next question since I may need to go another route with my type 4. Can I put stock 1.8 pistons, rings, jugs and heads on a 1.7 block without cracking the case?
My 1.7 runs smooth but lousy compression all around.
thx.[/i]
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

lawryrg wrote:
Thanks all for the great info. And thanks for the spelling humor; always have a 50/50 chance of getting that one right!

Next question since I may need to go another route with my type 4. Can I put stock 1.8 pistons, rings, jugs and heads on a 1.7 block without cracking the case?
My 1.7 runs smooth but lousy compression all around.
thx.[/i]

Yes you can!
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Duel carbs for 2.0 advice pls Reply with quote

Excellent. I’m investigating that route to repower my 79 Westy.

Thx
Gordon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: